Shadowrun PbP setup discussion.

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Shadowrun PbP setup discussion.

Postby Magmoo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:51 am

Sadly, aside from FtC last year, my life has been devoid of the creative outlet that is table top gaming. My schedule just doesn't permit me to participate in the game most of my friends are in and I really don't have a block of time to run my own. So I'd like to take another stab at running a PBP.

So here's a list of possible games/ ideas I'd be willing to run. Please believe that with the crunchier systems it would be run "roll light."

Dark Heresy - Dark and Brutal tales of investigation in the WH40K universe
Only War - Adventures of the Imperial Guard in WH40K
Death Watch - Space Marine adventures in the WH40K universe
7th Sea (second ed?) - Swashbuckling adventure in a renaissance/age of sail inspired world
Blades in the Dark - Criminal enterprise in Victorian-esque world
Shadow run 5th ed - Mercenary action in a fantasy infused cyberpunk future
Fate - Could be just about anything but I'd lean towards pulpy spy action or I have a supplements Ancient Rome intrigue/investigation, Cats with magical powers, and Kung Fu adventures

I do not require players to have the material but it will obviously slow things down if people don't have their own. If I had to pick one, I'm really into the new 7th Sea books.

Now the caveat. I'm both working full time and having a nearly full load of college courses. I'm fairly certain I can still do this but I may need to call for a break around midterms and finals. I'm thinking pretty much open game flow but with a regular "post deadline" of twice a week. We can discuss when. I looking to keep it fairly small so 2 to 5 players.

Please let me know if you're interested are even if you just have questions.
Last edited by Magmoo on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: In need of a game.

Postby Ikoma » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm

I would be game to play a little PbP. I gotta say I like all the options you listed. I'm fairly familiar with the 40k universe even if I don't know those systems. I love me the 7th Sea world but all the books I own are 1st ed. Blades in the Dark sounds super cool from what I've heard on the FtB podcast. Like 7th Sea, most of my Shadowrun books are earlier editions. I guess my top choices would be 7th Sea or Blades in the Dark.

Anyway, count me in.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Awesome. Welcome and thank you.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:50 am

Hopeful bump

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:38 pm

I would be interested.

I don't know much about most of those systems/settings, except Shadowrun. (Well, I don't know much about the system in shadowrun either, but I love the setting). Shadowrun would be my top pick, but I just really want to get into a PBP so I'll do whatever.

I know a bit about 40K. Like, general knowledge stuff about the factions, a bit of the grimdarkness, a bit of Horus heresy stuff (I tried to read the first Horus Heresy book but gave up about half way through). The other settings I've never even looked at.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Thanks for the interest. Please don't let a lack of knowledge turn you off. If you want me to give more in depth setting descriptions please just indicate where your curiosity lays.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:44 am

So we have our minimum player requirement. I still think we should leave the door open for other players a week or two longer as we decide what we're playing.

So right now it's narrowed to 7th sea, Shadowrun, Blades in the Dark. If you have any curiosity about some of the other options please ask away. If the answers prove interesting enough we can add other options back in. I will say that because Shadowrun is such a crunchy system we can use the rulebook as a style guide and make a FATE hack of it if other people are so inclined. Otherwise please tell me what it is about the options that appeals to you and I can weigh in with how well I can meet your expectations with your stated option, or try to sell you on why you might get what you want from one of the other systems/settings. I'm not saying I want to change peoples minds, just expressing that nothing is carved in stone, even our short list.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:01 am

Magmoo wrote:I will say that because Shadowrun is such a crunchy system we can use the rulebook as a style guide and make a FATE hack of it if other people are so inclined.

I very much like this idea. I love the shadowrun setting but I'm not very big on crunch - especially in a pbp.

Beyond that, I think Blades in the Dark sounds interesting if you want to give a longer blurb on that.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:57 am

So from what I can tell BitD is something of an Apocalypse world hack. Mechanically it's a little different but there's definitely some conceptual overlap.

You pick one of eight (i think, book is at home) criminal classes. You will have a few options with each class to define your character and differentiate it from another player should they desire to play the same class. Stats are fairly simple. There are three broad categories of stats referred to as attributes (Insight, Prowess, Resolve) with four individual stats, called approaches, within attribute. The number of approaches that have a single dot or more add up to generate the attribute score (0-4) while the approaches have scores themselves from 0 to 4. Attributes are used "defensively" for resistance rolls while approaches are used for actions. Each dot adds a six sided die to a pool that a player rolls to accomplish their goal this is in addition to any bonus dice that are gained. Based on a player's highest rolled die the results are assessed. 1-3 is failure, 4&5 are a success with complications, and 6 is a total success. There's more but that's fundamentals.

In addition to selecting a character class the players as a group select a Gang type. This helps to define the goals and nature of their criminal enterprise. Are they smugglers, strange cultists, or simply a group of burglars (and so on)? They will get to pick certain advantages to help them start out and as the Gang grows pick up more advantages. Each "Gang" type comes with a territory map that the gang is trying to take over and protect from competing gangs all while trying not to generate too much attention (heat) from the police.

Play is divided between two major phases. The first is an active or on-the-job phase where the players are try to accomplish a goal or goals, often in the form of some criminal act. Downtime is between such capers and revolves around recovery from the stress (damage essentially) through indulging in a characters preferred vice or using the time to develop resources.

The setting is something of a Victorian city in a fantasy world where ghosts and magic involving spirits exists. Grim, dirty and metropolitan. The primary setting is a world of have and have-nots struggling to maneuver any advantage they can or sometimes just to survive.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:59 am

Sounds interesting. I still think Shadowrun would be my first choice but that's definitely my second.

Return to “Play By Post”