Interest check: A Spark setting

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Re: Interest check: A Spark setting

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:49 am

I think Magmoo's 'Engiseers, Experialpha & Cadets Etherica' sounds very pulp-y and fun, and since we decided on pulp adventure for the genre I think it fits.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:50 am

okay 'Engiseers, Experialpha & Cadets Etherica: A Transhuman Pulp Adventure' it is.

On to Step 6: Setting Beliefs

Beliefs announce which concepts, opinions, and dramatic themes we want to explore during play. Setting Beliefs express the biggest concerns and problems of the society. Each of the Factions created in step 7 is rooted in one of these Beliefs.

First, we establish a list of potential Beliefs that fit the Setting. The GM will then get a chance to select any three of those and set them as the Beliefs of the Setting.

Go around the table twice, with each person proposing a different Belief based on the Setting’s title and Facts.

Setting Beliefs must follow the following principles:
  • A good Belief should be a simple, declarative statement. Assume that the Belief is the kind of thing that someone could blurt out in a heated argument.
  • A good Belief should be subjective, and preferably philosophical. The basic assumption of the game is that
    overwhelming evidence is enough to convince someone to change their Beliefs. Things that are obviously true or false
    don’t make for good Beliefs.
  • A good Belief is meaningful and controversial to a significant number of people. Players should be able to influence society on a whole, and Beliefs that others care about helps.

The GM picks three preferred Beliefs. While he can choose the Beliefs that he proposed, he should show discretion and only choose the three that best express the Setting. Any Player can use leftover Beliefs during Character Creation if any of them are suitable.

Let's have Magmoo go first, and then DistinctlyBenign, and then myself
Check out my wife's book

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:37 am

Setting Belief

The Simulacra Rights Movement is actually a destabilization operation of the Pandobat Empire to undermine Bregorian society.

Simulacra being a stable form of Experialpha/artificial people.

Pandobot and Bregoria being two different City States/Nations
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Looks good.
Check out my wife's book

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:59 am

A belief that originated in the monasteries of the lotus petal mountain, but had become popular especially among the heavily modified lower classes is that all intelligent life on the planet is actually the larva form of some great being, and the TTV* is the beginning of the hive mind that eventually consume all life on the planet and give rise to this being. This may have already happened once in the planet, to the forebearers.

*transient telecommunication virus. (The disease from Fallout_Monkey's fact)

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:A belief that originated in the monasteries of the lotus petal mountain, but had become popular especially among the heavily modified lower classes is that all intelligent life on the planet is actually the larva form of some great being, and the TTV* is the beginning of the hive mind that eventually consume all life on the planet and give rise to this being. This may have already happened once in the planet, to the forebearers.

Heh genestealers cult :shifty:
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Magmoo wrote:Heh genestealers cult :shifty:

I don't know what that is. It sounds like a Warhammer thing. Did I straight up have the same idea as a Warhammer thing?

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
Magmoo wrote:Heh genestealers cult :shifty:

I don't know what that is. It sounds like a Warhammer thing. Did I straight up have the same idea as a Warhammer thing?

Sort of. Genestealers are a warhammer 40k thing. There is a massive biological invasion force that essentially devours planets. Think super evolved space locusts. Starcraft Zerg are essentially based off them. One of the things they do well in andvance of a fleet is to seed genestealers. Genestealers are a deadly monster all their own but they also have the ability to infect a population. This causes those infected to serve the will the the Genestealer Prime, sometimes mutate into odd genestealer/human hybrids, and to birth new genestealers all the while working to disrupt society and its defenses in anticipation of the fleet.

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:A belief that originated in the monasteries of the lotus petal mountain, but had become popular especially among the heavily modified lower classes is that all intelligent life on the planet is actually the larva form of some great being, and the TTV* is the beginning of the hive mind that eventually consume all life on the planet and give rise to this being. This may have already happened once in the planet, to the forebearers.

It's a little verbose to be blurted out in a heated argument. Is there a more concise way we can say this. Also we don't need to specify who holds the belief. Remember only three of the six are going to be picked for setting belief's so world building facts might fall out if included with a belief that isn't picked.

Here are some examples from the book of good beliefs:
  • WE ARE NOTHING WITHOUT OUR TRADITIONS.
  • THE GREATEST HONOUR IS TO BE OF SERVICE TO YOUR CLAN.
  • THE SECRETS OF THIS WORLD WILL DESTROY US.
  • THE NEEDS OF THE MANY OUTWEIGH THE NEEDS OF THE FEW.
  • TECHNOLOGY WILL TAME THIS WORLD.
  • EMOTIONAL DISPLAYS ARE A SIGN OF WEAKNESS.
  • THE WILL OF THE KAMI MUST BE OBEYED.
Check out my wife's book

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Fallout_Monkey wrote:Is there a more concise way we can say this.

Hmm. I guess in the end it boils down to something of a nihilistic attitude. Something like:

"Our actions now will be irrelevant when we transcend our earthly forms"

Return to “Play By Post”