Interest check: A Spark setting

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Re: Interest check: A Spark setting

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Hmmm... actually, could we open that fact up as a bit of a talking point? Because considering the first two facts it takes us in a direction in my mind, I just want to be sure we're all on the same page before I put in my approved stamp.

So, per my fact people are aware that proximity causes supernatural abilities. Even if the existence of the artifacts is a secret (not established yet) I'm sure it wouldn't take long for people to figure out that only people who grow up in that city where people can breath fire ever seem to develop the power to breath fire. And obviously the ruling class at least wants to encourage people to develop powers: It's one of the main things that sets them apart from other nations and that's why these artifact places have been chosen as the location for the seats of powers of nations. So it also stands to reason that the ruling classes families are also going to develop powers, since they live in the cities they built around these artifacts. And besides, why wouldn't you want your heir to be able to immolate would-be assassins by breathing on them? Seems like a good last line of defense.

And per Magmoo's fact it seems like there is probably some strong stigmas associated with Cybernetics? Given our inspiration I would assume there is at least the belief that the more cyborg you are the less human you become. The middle and upper classes would probably look down on those with cybernetics, in any case.

So it seems like with this third fact the general population would actually be kind of... afraid of their kids developing powers? Because then they'll be taken away and essentially turned into super powered terminators? And I imagine this means the ruling class would need some sort of way to keep people IN their main cities, because natural inclination would be to flee and raise your kids in the farmland where no one ever seems to get any powers so they don't get taken from you?

So, to me it reads like we're taking a hard turn at Dystopia. And I'm not necessarily opposed to that (I did suggest the class struggle inspiration, after all), but I just want to make sure we're all on the same page about it before I go forward with my next fact, and I'm not just assuming things I shouldn't be.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:08 am

We could make the powers implants something other than cybernetics like crystals or some sort of biological symbiote or even a living creature like familiars.

edit: Or maybe they undergo some sort of augmenting drug/medicine regime.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:04 am

Also as far as "taking my kids away" thing, the outrage and fear could be counteracted if the kids are still allowed contact with their families and it's just seen as a chance for advancement.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:27 pm

That's true. Or it could be some non-cybernetics tech? Like power armor or something.

Just waiting for Fallout_Monkey to give his thoughts before I pitch my second fact.

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:09 am

Sorry I haven't replied yet. My son decided he wanted to be born at 32 weeks rather than 40. I been out of town as the hospital here doesn't have the facilities to handle a preemie and just got back. I'll respond a little later today after I get some sleep.
Check out my wife's book

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:26 am

Fallout_Monkey wrote:Sorry I haven't replied yet. My son decided he wanted to be born at 32 weeks rather than 40. I been out of town as the hospital here doesn't have the facilities to handle a preemie and just got back. I'll respond a little later today after I get some sleep.

Congratulations and good luck.

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:52 pm

When I read the second fact I interpreted it as the the lower class got ugly gaudy and obvious cybernetics where as the upper class might have more subtle implants. And when I read that plus the blending inspiration I thought of the Biotics from Mass Effect. So that was the basis for my fact.

I'm cool with cybernetics being a lower class thing. I was thinking that those whose graduate the specials schools are higher status. That way it is an honour for most people to have their children taken.

I do like all the options presented for alternatives(crystals, symbiote, familiars, drug regime, other tech) perhaps each nation has it's own way of augmenting and controlling their powered populace?

As to your question about us taking a hard turn towards Dystopia, I think the setting is still pretty open. The level of fantasy has not been set in my mind. I can envision a pre-renaissance society, or a Victorian one, as well as the futuristic cyber punk ones as well. We should probably hammer out what we want
Check out my wife's book

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Sounds good. Well, time for my second fact:

-Anything is possible with the mad science of the world
-A metahuman class struggle.

There exist a number of Sentient 'races' all created by 'Science!™'. Perceptions about other races differ from nation to nation, but humans are always at the top of the pecking order.

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:30 am

Sounds good
Check out my wife's book

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 am

Magmoo any thoughts on DistinctlyBenign's fact or are you ready for your next fact?
Check out my wife's book

Return to “Play By Post”