Interest check: A Spark setting

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Interest check: A Spark setting

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:09 pm

Want to do a play by post but not sure what to run. So I figured I would see if anybody wants to create a setting using the Spark setting creation system. It's a real easy process that works well to generate ideas. After we make the setting then I'll run a game based in the setting we create. If you are only interested in the setting creation but don't want to play that will be cool too.

The first step is to come up with a list of media to draw inspiration from. Each player adds a piece of media to the list. It can be anything; a tv show, a poem, a speech, music, a game, etc. These will be used to pull ideas from so don't worry about matching or meshing with the other entries on the list. and don't worry about anybody being familiar with the media you pick.
Last edited by Fallout_Monkey on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Check out my wife's book

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Interest check: A Spark setting

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Setting notes:

List of media:
  1. Avatar: the last airbender
  2. Girl Genius
  3. Shadow Run

List of Inspirations:
  1. National borders based on the potential of Inheriting powers
  2. anything is possible with the mad science of the world
  3. there are tons of left over experiments or people with unusual augments or tools all over the place
  4. Inherited powers require training and practice to control
  5. A metahuman class struggle.
  6. A blending of the supernatural and the technological, rather than them being at odds. (While still being distinctly not Magi-tech)
  7. Cybernetics eat away at your humanity

Genre: Transhuman Pulp Adventure

List of facts:
  1. An ancient group known only as the forebearers left behind artifacts of immense power: spending ones formative years within a wide proximity (varies from artifact to artifact but between 5 and 50 miles?) of one would grant aptitude towards a specific subset of supernatural abilities. Nations, of course, rose around these artifacts at the seat of their power.
  2. Lower class people are strongly associated with obvious and awkward cybernetics as that is the only way for them to compete and participate in the economy. More developed and wealthy nations strongly encourage and even sometimes force debtors to submit to implants. This has led to the common existence of Public "Nut" Houses where the working class can get their augments serviced while getting a pint.
  3. All children are tested in their early teens for powers. Those who test positive are taken to specials schools where cybernetics are implanted to enhance the abilities to useful levels. The implants are removed from those that do not graduate.
  4. There is a whole ongoing industry for explorers and mapmakers to catalog wondrous and dangerous areas created by long forgotten experiments. The maps are in constant need of updating as the sources of these "zones" may suddenly appear, disappear, shift or even migrate. Only major roads, cities or well developed and defended rural areas are considered reliably stable.
  5. There exist a number of Sentient 'races' all created by 'Science!™'. Perceptions about other races differ from nation to nation, but humans are always at the top of the pecking order.
  6. A disease seems to affect a small percentage of the augmented populace as well as some animals and plants. It's symptoms are a need to congregate with other infected and further augment themselves, as well as a mental link between the infected.

Title: Engiseers, Experialpha & Cadets Etherica: A Transhuman Pulp Adventure
Last edited by Fallout_Monkey on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 am, edited 9 times in total.
Check out my wife's book

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:32 am

I'm curious. Not necessarily ready to commit. Would you need me to purchase the pdf?
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:08 am

nope. the only thing you'll need is your enthusiasm. The process requires no dice either.
Check out my wife's book

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:31 pm

in the hopes of drumming up more interest. I'll describe the steps the process takes:

1) List Media: Each player provides a piece of media

2) Gather inspirations: Each player explains what they like most about their media and we make of list of these. Players may add more to the list if they want.

3) Describe genre: As a group we consider the inspirations and decide on a genre. Such Fantasy, gangster, Super-hero, Horror, etc. We also add a single adjective or noun as a descriptor to genre to help us distinguish or setting from others of the same genre.

4) Establish Facts: Each person combines two inspirations into one fact about the setting. Then each person does it a second time.

5) Create Title: As a group we come up with a title for the setting using the facts to guide us

6) Create Beliefs: Each person comes up with two concepts, opinions, or dramatic themes we want to explore in play. The GM selects 3 of them as setting beliefs

7) Creation Factions: Each player create a factions for the setting

8) Create Faces: Each player picks one of the factions and creates a face for it. Faces are NPCs that will interact with the players

9) Create Ties: We decide how each faction interacts with each other. Are they enemies, competitors, allies, oblivious to one another

10) Create Agendas: here we determine the long term goals of the factions
Check out my wife's book

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Sounds good. I'm provisionally in depending on how active you're require us to be when things are up and running.

Fair warning the forums tend to dry up a lot over the holidays.
"Bureaucracy is far more effective when everyone's dead, you know." TEMPORAL CORRECTOR ZERO - Romantically Apocalyptic

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 pm

I'm not expecting anything too active. What piece of media would you add to the list magmoo?
Check out my wife's book

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm thinking something suitably swashbuckle-y like The Scarlet Pimpernell.

Fallout_Monkey
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fallout_Monkey » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Cool added to the list for now. Can change it if you want something else.
Check out my wife's book

Magmoo
Couponing Champion

Postby Magmoo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:10 am

Ooo oooh. Change my contribution to Girl Genius.

Return to “Play By Post”