[Interest Check] The Clay That Woke

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

[Interest Check] The Clay That Woke

Postby Mikel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:02 pm

The Clay That Woke (looking for 3-4 players who can post roughly 1x/day during the week. When I make a pbp part of my routine, I've had some last over a year. When you're consistently waiting for 4-5 days for someone to post, it loses momentum)

You are a nameless Minotaur, a worker class in the Dégringolade. Minotaurs are a found species, pulled from the mud of the river 300 years ago. They didn't fit in well among humanity until they found Silence, their code.

Silence
Pursue justice and the social good;
be courageous;
act with wisdom;
do not want;
do not express your emotions;
do not use the names of women.

Now, living in the decadence of a fallen society, where many strange, wonderful, and terrible things happen, you work and toil alongside humanity. Silence will be tested and you'll find yourself heading into the Jungle to regain your ability to remain among humans. The Jungle is filled with strange creatures, Voices that are the remnants of what might have once been Gods, and a war that's gone on so long that no one knows why it's being fought.

You may find love with a human, which will make her an outcast.
You may earn a name.
You may discover if the Watchers, the leafless trees that soar high above the thick jungle canopy, will every bloom over a society that is regaining it's former glory.

-----
TCTW is a fascinating system and one that seems to lend itself to forum play well.

The system itself is fairly simple---it's a token economy. When you're deep in a situation where we need to decide what might happen, the GM puts some tokens ("No"s and "Skulls", likely) into the Krater of Lots. You don't know exactly how many. Then you place some of your own tokens in. They are mixed, 4 are pulled, and you check them against a chart to see what the resolution will be, roughly speaking. (You are reckless; you sustain a great injury; you manage to end the situation without further harm; etc.) Then, you keep RPing it out. There isn't a hard and fast place where you need to use the Krater, so it doesn't get in the way of posting for someone to use it.

The wonderful strangeness of the world is also a big draw which I think is easier to make come alive via prose. Your characters interacting with the world and trying to keep their Silence is the font from where character development and story come. You're actually encouraged not to plan too much about your Minotaur at first, but to develop them in play. Each person picks one of four types and you're good to go, since employment isn't in the hands of the players.

Any questions or interest?
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: [Interest Check] The Clay That Woke

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:33 pm

What are the four types of minotaur?
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Soldier, leader, philosopher, and advocate. They make a difference in how you refresh tokens.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0bXL ... lhOc2dlTms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Curious. I have to say I find the idea quite intriguing, although I'm not certain yet that I want to commit to another game or indeed that this is the game for me. In various discussions I have formed the impression that our gaming styles and preferences are very far apart. That's not a complete show-stopper for me, but it does imply risk.

One more question for now.

I see in the linked document the things that restore tokens, and most of these make a kind of sense to me. The soldier, however, gets courage tokens back by avoiding violence. That seems odd for a soldier. Is this basically a non-combat game, where fighting is viewed as failure or at best poor role-playing?

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:46 pm

One of the themes of the game is fighting your instincts and keeping to a code. Fighting come easily to them so holding back or solving it in other ways is the refreshes. Ideally, real soldiers prefer to solve something without violence.

The system and aim of the game isn't like anything I've ever seen before, which intrigues me.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Okay, thanks Mikel. I'll wait to see what other interest you get and let you have a decision if it looks like it'll be going ahead. :thumbup:

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 pm

One of the really interesting things about it is you're not supposed to follow a traditional narrative. You start out with situations that test you and follow those for awhile until you either end up in the Jungle or you skip to another situation that tests you. Once you start to build your Name, the story should start to coalesce so the group can determine whether the society might rise up again or if it's doomed to remain fallen.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:37 pm

The book also has the best fiction for an RPG I've ever seen.

Return to “Play By Post”