Tales of the Venture Society - IC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:43 am

Lord Foul wrote:https://archive.org/details/MarvellousMelbourne

It's only 15 minutes long. Well worth a look. There's even a great sequence near the end of the Djankao steaming into dock on the Yarra River. I kid you not! :thumbup:

That's an incredible find, Lord Foul! I wish I had seen it before describing your arrival, which was a pretty generic description, and I stayed in Melbourne for a week, about 8 years ago. The steamer is almost miraculously on the nose. The Melbourne stop was generally intended as a quick first-glimpse-of-civilization stop, but if anyone sees anything in the film they'd like to take advantage of before we scoot off for a similar short stop in Capetown, feel free. I'll move us on shortly, otherwise.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am

Professor Pope will take his academic colleagues on a visit to the exhibition building, museum and art gallery, to see what they have. :D

I'm not looking for adventure here, just taking in some of the local culture. Happy to move on at your convenience.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:10 am

Sorry for the delay.

The Djengkao repairs and refueling go smoothly. Captain Blackburn takes on a couple of new crew members to replace Thibaut and Big Tom—a pair of Australian brothers by the name of Copland rough, but good-natured.

Jinda is reluctant to leave the marvels of civilization, but Ando definitely prefers the ship to the shore, despite the Azar aversion to open water. He seems to work well in the "tribe" of sailors. Once back underway, Jinda discards the confining clothes of western propriety and returns to the sailor trousers and shirt she first wore. Emma balks at this, but relents after an alarming incident when Jinda briefly decides that female undergarments are sufficient for walking about on deck. The pants and shirt are a compromise.

The steamer plows its way though to Capetown, where they learn that they have missed Lord Henry by only five days. Their patron has returned to England already. With nothing other than cargo transfer and taking on coal to keep them there, the Djangkao moves on up the coast of Africa, eventually reaching the Canary Islands, at which point Captain Blackburn breaks out a bottle of very fine brandy to commemorate the event for those of the passengers who have not before circumnavigated the globe. The Djangkao remains there for several days.

Eventually, the steamship does make the final journey home for the Venturers. Up the English Channel and round Margate back up the Thames to the Port of London. They dock around noon, all passengers on deck to take in the sight. Languages of the world are shouted back and forth, seabirds flock about looking for anything edible and unattended, coaches and wagons clatter about, and everywhere people, people, people!

Ando takes the crowds a bit better this time, but still obviously prefers the ship. Jinda has to be restrained from rushing down the gangplank to explore.

As the passengers gather their belongings and memorabilia, a hearty voice hullos from the dock, "Ahoy Venturers! I say, ahoy!" It is the robust call of Lord Henry Ransdell, their benefactor and fellow Venturer. He is standing next to a large four-wheeled coach drawn by a sturdy team that dwarfs the swarm of smaller, more agile Hansom cabs. "Come ashore, then?"

Firm handshakes and back slapping occurs, with Ransdell asking Brady, "Say old boy, do you want to supervise the unloading of your aircraft, or have my man do it? I've got a nice spot in a secure warehouse."

To Enny, "Glad to see you back in one piece lad, though it looks like you've hardened up a bit." He smiles warmly.

To the Professor and Pachmar, "My agent in Margate was on the lookout for you and sent a wire when you rounded into the Thames. Got a coach ready for you and Swain's got rooms ready at the Society. Can't wait to hear it all, old man!"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:01 pm

During the long sea voyage Professor Pope has been writing a journal which comprises a rough draft for a book. Lacking any proof to substantiate their outlandish claims he is resigned to forgoing the pleasure of a lecture tour. Instead he thinks that he might see if he can find a publisher for a 'work of scientific fiction'. If it's good enough for Verne and Wells, he surmises...

Upon greeting Sir Henry he agrees to provide their benefactor with a personal account of their adventure over dinner at the Venture Society, during which each member of the expedition will find themself called upon to provide their own details of various specific exploits, all woven together by the professor's compelling narrative.

:beer: :soapbox: :beer:

It's a good way to work out how best to relate the tale as a narrative. Afterwards he'll stay up late making additional notes to refine the text, drawing from the accounts of the others. :think:

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Brady is content to trust Sir Henry's men with his craft, and sets his mind to acclimating Ando to London. Not being especially familiar himself, it should prove fun.

He'll keep a reserved eye on Jinda too, of course, but she seems to be taking to all of this like a fish to water.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:25 am

Ando is not as nervous as he was in Melbourne, and by this time has a smattering of words, grinning occasionally when he hears something that needs no translation.

Jinda however has made dramatic leaps in English, and despite occasionally faltering for a word, has taken Emma's instruction diligently enough to give her a faculty of clear speech. Despite her Western clothing, she retains an exotic look that quite charms Sir Henry. His eyes flick briefly to the Venture Society ring she continues to wear on a leather string about her neck, but he does not comment, other than to quickly glance at various hands as they become visible.

The coach is large enough to accommodate all, an unusual vehicle which, though good for conversation, has to make frequent pauses to wait for gaps in the ever-present London traffic, with the driver frequently shouting, "make way, make way!" Ando and Jinda both wrinkle their noses at what must be an objectionable smell and the smoky air of urban London.

Emma calls out the names of places as they pass, mostly to entertain the Azar. Ando seems duly impressed by the Tower of London, which the coach rumbles past as they make their way to Cannon Street, Fleet Street and the Strand. Jinda's eyes dart everywhere, like a birds, as the vehicle is drawn through St. James Gardens, and on to Knightsbridge and Brompton Road before finally turning on to Cromwell Road. The Venture Society building is a welcome sight, limned in the red orange light of the lowering sun.

They disembark upon the electrically-lit carriage drive that fronts the edifice, and are greeted by the ever-present concierge Albert Swain, who somehow manages to look both harried and in control at the same time, like he has a very specific schedule that the world must try to keep up with. "Ladies and gentlemen," he says," Welcome to the Venture Society and Museum. Please leave any luggage upon the vehicle and it will be take to your rooms, which Sir Henry has provided for. Sir Henry, if you would kindly conduct your guests to the parlour, dinner will be laid in twenty minutes. Sir Reginald sends his regrets, but he will not be in attendance as he is recovering from a minor inconvenience."

Ransdell explains to the non-Society members that Sir Reginald Maybury is the Society President, while conducting them to a place where they can refresh themselves after the trip from the docks through the city.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:25 am

Ransdell does take a private moment aside with each of them before joining them at dinner, discussing matters that he feels might be too delicate for open conversation.

To Pope and Pachmar:
"Gentlemen, I don't know any of the details yet, but I do have to ask, how did young Enrique perform? He' working off a debt to the Society, and I had hoped that his conduct upon this excursion would balance the scales a bit. Was he an asset? Would you recommend him for membership in the Society?"

To Enny:
"Well young fella-me-lad. I'm truly glad to see you back in one piece. If you recall, one of the things I asked you to be on the lookout for was and business opportunity, any trade or development possibilities in your travels. Did you in fact find anything that might warrant a further trip to recoup expenses?"

To Brady:
"Well sir, my young American friend, I trust your skills were put to good use? I did want to speak briefly to you considering those young native siblings, particularly the girl, Jinda? I could not help but notice a certain piece of jewelry that adorns her lovely throat, a certain ring that I see you no longer wear. I have no wish to pry in the private affairs of another, but that ring has special significance, and is not lightly given or replaced. It can guarantee aid in difficult places and signifies that the bearer represents the Society. Can I ask what your intentions are about the situation? I can't really see her continuing to wear it, but I've an open mind, and am willing to listen to any good reasoning."

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:04 am

keithcurtis wrote:Ransdell does take a private moment aside with each of them before joining them at dinner, discussing matters that he feels might be too delicate for open conversation.

To Pope and Pachmar:
"Gentlemen, I don't know any of the details yet, but I do have to ask, how did young Enrique perform? He' working off a debt to the Society, and I had hoped that his conduct upon this excursion would balance the scales a bit. Was he an asset? Would you recommend him for membership in the Society?"

Pope looks at Pachmar for a moment, with a pensive expression. :eh:

"Well... he tried his best, I think... he kept up reasonably well; young and fit... not sure his temperament is that well suited to our kind of expedition though... he is a Spaniard, after all... to be frank, he was not a lot of use for most of the time... maybe if we'd been in a city in Europe he'd have been more... at home... where we went... no, not really his kind of place at all..." :think:

"He helped. Paid a decent amount of his debt, I'd say. Would I take him again? Probably not." :eh:

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:09 am

Brady looks a bit bashful at the question.

"It was when we first met... she was helpful, and seemed to take an interest in it. I hadn't expected to bring her along back with us in the end. Let's call it payment for services rendered. I'd hate to ask for it back now, after all she did to earn it. The lot of us'd be dead and disappeared if she hadn't showed up when she did."

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Back in 'civilized' country, Pachmar has returned to his more stoic, strong and silent persona. He merely nods his agreement to the Professor's assessment.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Play By Post”