Tales of the Venture Society - IC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:03 pm

"Alas, Big Tom died a heroes death, saving us from certain doom," replies Pope, putting only a little extra gloss on the big negro's gallant sacrifice. "The Frenchie proved to be a rat, and met a vermin's end." :problem:

"These noble savages," he indicates Ando and Jinda, "have helped us defeat the Hun. They deserve our respect, and thanks." :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:05 pm

"Thibaut was a traitor," Brady says before he's even managed to offer thanks for the rescue. "And Big Tom, sadly, was killed."

Once all are aboard, he quickly finds his bearings and thanks their saviors profusely. Noting their curiosity about the alien skiff, he can only shake his head. "We've seen an Eighth Wonder of the world to put all the others to shame, but I've had enough of wonder for awhile."

He gladly accepts the stronger thermos.

(ninja'd, but oh well. I'm sure conversation is hectic at the moment.)

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:26 am

"That's a shame," replies Daws. "Tom was a good man. Worked hard and never complained. This will be a blow to Captain Blackburn." The fact that he does not comment on Thibaut speaks volumes on his opinion of the man.

Once everyone is settled and covered, and being given sustenance, Daws looks at the slowly sinking air craft. "Odd sort of boat. Is it... mostly hollow?" He asks the question in a plainly helpless way, since its lack of motion in the waves is inexplicable.

He gets ready to give the order to row for the Djungkao.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:14 am

Pachmar motions to the Professor and Brady, "I'll let these fine men explain it. To me, it's more flying carpet than anything else."
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:51 pm

Daws' eyes widen a bit. "Well it's for certain we're going to have a tale to spin when we get back."

To the Professor he says, "Ye say that Schlectesel is defeated? Dead, I hope. Is his ship still about? The captain wanted to respond to your flare with caution, just in case it was them, signaling their airplane. So he sent out the launch and had us respond once we were a fair distance away from the ship."

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:28 pm

"The baron is indeed dead, and his ship is sunk, along with most of its crew. Their aeroplane is also destroyed, or at least badly damaged, and the pilot we believe also died. All in all, I'd say we have won a quite remarkable victory, against seemingly insurmountable odds, due to the bravery of all of our expedition and my own ingenuity and resourcefulness." :D

"That craft," he gestures at the disappearing skatha, "is a marvel of engineering, but it is not of our time. It is for the best that it remain here in its watery grave. I would ask that we do not speak of it beyond this place, lest curiosity bring others seeking otherwordly miracles that can only bring harm to our society." :eh:

Pope makes no mention of the kitondas that at least three of us have concealed about our persons. :whistle:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:56 am

Brady gives a last sad glance to the Mildred before wrapping an arm around the shivering Jinda and reassuring her that she's safe now.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 pm

The mate looks at the oddity in the waves, and takes a quick nip from his flask. "Aye, well, ye know best about such things. We'll have you back to the ship within the hour. Lay to, lads!" The doughty sailors bend their backs to the oars and soon the pillar and the skatha are lost in the mists.

After a while, Daws fires off two flares, ten seconds apart. "That's the cue for the captain to know that all is well, and to send us a guide." Sure enough, within a minute a flare goes up and to let the launch know where to point her nose. True to his word, Daws calls "ahoy!" to the steamer in less than an hour. Hoist arms are swung out and the boat is carefully raised to the deck level. A gang plank is thrust out and you are greeted by Captain Blackburn and every able-bodied seaman who can be spared from activity.

The two Azar are awestruck by the scale of the vessel. Though they had seen the larger Siegfried before, it was at a great distance. The Djungkao holds their rapt attention, and the strange crew with their odd clothing holds no less wonder.

Daws reports, "Found 'em stranded on one of those pillars. They've probably got a whale of a story to tell. Sorry to tell ye captain that Big Tom and Thibaut died out there. So did the bloody Bosch and his gang. I'm sure the Venturers will give ye all the details though. Some of these folks need the medic, and they could all use warm clothes and hot food."

Captain Blackburn welcomes all aboard and gives the appropriate orders. Deck hands go running to carry them out.

"We'll get you all settled as soon as we can," he says. "We'll have to make way soon. There's bad weather on its way, and by all observations, there was a volcano let loose somewhere out there, which won't help matters either. We'll need every bit of fuel we have to make the next port, assuming we can find our way out of this soup. I'll need your help there." He nods at Pope and Brady.

"Before that, is there anything you need that Mister Daws hasn't mentioned?"

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Pachmar leaves the conversation with Captain Blackburn to the Professor while he makes sure that Emma and her father are settled in (assuming Brady is taking similar care with Jinda and her brother Ando).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Half of you are led off to the infirmary, where Brady's and Ando's gunshot wounds are treated (both superficial). Emma takes a bit longer, and she takes more than a few stitches. She gratefully accepts Pachmar's steadying arm. McGregor is given a crutch to help him get around more easily, but the medic on board is not a full physician, and believes that the leg might require more specialized care once you return to civilization.

Despite her blood loss and the admonition of the medic to not engage in undue exertion, Emma insists on caring for her father. The Professor does indeed suffer from a form of dementia, but it is mild and tends to manifest on extreme focus upon philology and linguistics. With a project at hand, he is busy and content.

Pope is consulted for the ship's heading.It turns out that MacGregor has a great deal of knowledge on this as well, having done extensive magnetic and compass research while examining the great portal. Pope recalls the myriad chalk markings the Scot had made upon the portal, tracing them painstakingly with a hand compass. Brady comes up to the bridge after being released from the small infirmary, and verifies the heading with his seat-of-the-pants navigation. Once the course is laid in, there is just enough of a reddish glow coming from central Kamua for the sharp-eyed watch to keep the helm on course.

All of you are given the chance to bathe in hot clean water with plenty of soap and fresh towels. Spare clothing is broken out from your various trunks, suitcases and duffels. Jinda and Ando are given western clothing from one source or another. (Emma offers her spare things to Jinda, who promptly refuses the undergarments, but settles for the long skirt and blouse. Ando finds the pants and shirt offered to him vastly amusing, and insists being shown the proper way to wear shoes. Enny's transformation is the greatest, for he finally has a chance to break out his fancy duds.

When you all next meet, you have been invited to a late dinner at the Captain's table. The ship is rolling slowly with the rising seas, but the Captain is confident that they are leaving the worst behind. "We should make Melbourne soon and without incident. We need a few minor repairs while docked there. I have cargo that needs to go on to Capetown, where there's a good chance we might be able to pick up Lord Henry. We might have the whole lot of you back in London in less than a month's time." He seems very happy to be getting out of these dangerous waters.

The food is laid out and everyone is invited to dig in. Ando goes to it with his fingers, but Jinda's eyes have been darting from one person to another throughout her time on board. She waits until she sees how the others manage utensils and does a creditable job of mimicking. Professor Witherspoon absently picks at his plate, with his attention buried in one of Emma's texts.

If the Captain notices any idiosyncrasies, he politely ignores them. "But enough of business. Tell me your tales, and introduce me to my new passengers."

Return to “Play By Post”