Tales of the Venture Society - IC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
User avatar
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit
Posts: 46184
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:47 pm

Pope will fire off a round from his Luger, and another every five minutes until he runs out of ammunition.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

User avatar
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!
Posts: 9003
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 am

Before I determine the effectiveness of this, is anyone going to fire the flare gun?

User avatar
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit
Posts: 46184
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 am

keithcurtis wrote:Before I determine the effectiveness of this, is anyone going to fire the flare gun?

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I was assuming that the flare was being fired, and Pope's first shot would be to give it a little bit more of an audible announcement.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 12115
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:55 am

IIRC Enny does not currently have one, though he will look to the rest and say

"Would it be helpful to light some superfluous clothing and create a small signal fire? Afterall, smoke is usually the most important part."

He gestures to the tattered jacket he has had tucked into his pants for the vast majority of the trip.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!
Posts: 15493
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 am
Location: Memphis, TN
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby goatunit » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Brady drapes Jinda in his flight jacket, wet though it may be, and rubs vigorously with both hands over her back to keep her core warm. He leaves the flare business to the others.

User avatar
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!
Posts: 9003
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am

tombombodil wrote:"Would it be helpful to light some superfluous clothing and create a small signal fire? Afterall, smoke is usually the most important part."

He gestures to the tattered jacket he has had tucked into his pants for the vast majority of the trip.

Emma looks wanly at Enny. "A noble gesture, and frankly in the shape it is in, your jacket is good for little else. However, I suggest holding off until we know if someone is looking." She lapses into silence, then, the wound in her side obviously troubling her more than she is willing to admit.

As Brady minsters to Jinda, a flare is sent up. It burns red in the darkening sky, hanging for a moment and then slowly sinking into obscurity. Pope fires a round to follow it, continuing to do so at five minute intervals. Slowly but surely his supply of bullets dwindles, as do the hopes of the party.

Down in the water, the miraculous craft begins to slowly descend as well. After Brady left, it remained above all but the highest swells, but each time the water strikes its hull, it has lost some of its tenacity. It now is at the level of the ocean, and every few minutes, another wave dashes water over its gunnel.

In the distance back from whence you came, the horizon glows with a dull orangey-red that has nothing to do with sunsets, as the volcano doubtless continues its activity.

As if in answer, from the opposite direction, a far brighter and more compact light interrupts the gloom. It is distant, but unmistakable:

A flare!

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13682
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Pachmar whoops with a fierce intensity. Far be from him to admit he was beginning to lose hope and make mental peace with trying to swim for help - and dying in the process - but the sight of this acknowledgement that SOMEONE knows they are there is such a psychic life preserver that it immediately lifts the spirits.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!
Posts: 9003
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:04 pm

The flare in the distance fizzles and fades. Nearly an hour passes, and the recovered rifles are brought into play, firing every five minutes or so. A second flare is exchanged by both parties; the answering flare is much closer, as are answering gunshots. The skatha is now more often submerged than visible, though its motive power still keeps it from truly sinking.

Finally, as true darkness settles in and Enny resorts to burning his jacket, a boat comes into view. It is the second launch from the Djungkao!

Archie Daws, the mate of the Steamer half stands as the boat approaches, a spyglass in his hands. "Ahoy, Venturers!" he shouts, gesturing to the rowers to bring the boat near the pillar. "You look like you use a ride and a hot meal!"
Last edited by keithcurtis on Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 13682
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:16 pm

"Indeed, sir! And a clean shirt if you have it!" The sikh grins widely in relief.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!
Posts: 9003
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Contact:

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:22 am

"Ha!" returns Daws. "We don't have any fancy outfits, but we do have dry blankets, and I'm sure we can spare a pea coat for the lady—ladies? Ahem, There's also a vacuum flask of coffee for ye." He winks, "And a flask of something' a bit stronger if ye need it."

The launch pulls up alongside the pillar, as close as is safe. A rope is passed over, while one man struggles to keep it taught, two others do their best to keep the craft steady using a pair of boat hooks. Eventually, one by one, the party is transferred to the boat. It's a bit crowded, and rides a little low, but not distressingly so. As Mister Daws helps effect the embarkation, he asks, "I count two less of ye, but two new faces to replace them. What happened to Big Tom, and the little fellow, Thibaut?"

He has not yet remarked on the mostly submerged Kamuan metal ship, though he and the other sailors have all glanced at it with curious eyes.


Return to “Play By Post”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron