Tales of the Venture Society - IC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:13 am

Professor Pope continues:

"Now, young Miss Witherspoon is another matter entirely. That young woman distinguished herself remarkably throughout the expedition. Her courage and resourcefulness... quite remarkable... and I've never come across anyone with a better grasp of languages... except perhaps the native girl Jinda. If anyone deserves to be granted membership of the Venture Society it is Emma Witherspoon." :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Pope-Pachmar:

Regarding Enny: "Well dash it! I had hoped that this trip might transform him. But I guess its square pegs and round holes, eh? Ah well, we made no promises to the lad. On that word, I'll consider his debt paid and let him know the society has no more claim on his services. Still, I've got a few... less adventurous projects he might decide to take on, based purely on mercenary enticement. Heh."

After hearing the assessment of Emma: "Ah, I had my suspicions on that one. There's plenty of precedent for lady adventurers in the Society, of course, going back to our revered co-founders. If you'd like to be the one to let her know her name has been submitted, you certainly may, but if you'd like the nomination to be anonymous, I'll handle it m'self."

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:02 pm

goatunit wrote:Brady looks a bit bashful at the question.

"It was when we first met... she was helpful, and seemed to take an interest in it. I hadn't expected to bring her along back with us in the end. Let's call it payment for services rendered. I'd hate to ask for it back now, after all she did to earn it. The lot of us'd be dead and disappeared if she hadn't showed up when she did."

"Well, if you're looking for a replacement, you can talk to the Colonel when he's up to it. I imagine there'll be some hazing involved, but you can probably weather that. You'll still be answerable to the Society for whatever that lass might do while wearing it. If you can live with that, I suppose she can keep it."

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:02 pm

"Anonymous would be my preference," says Pope. "I have a reputation as a cranky old misogynist to maintain." ;)

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:05 am

The party is gathered for dinner, including MacGregor, both Witherspoons, and the two Azar. In keeping with Society tradition, the food is excellent, and flavored by spices and dishes from a truly international palette. The Azar decline a couple of the dishes, notably anything with curry.

Before tales are begun, Lord Henry addresses the assemblage, "As you might have inferred, my motives for financing this expedition were not solely uncolored by mercenary overtones. I had asked young Enrique here to be on the lookout for anything that could recoup the costs of the voyage. Although he has told me of a few wonders that would doubtless be the foundation of more than one fortune, I think that the scientific value outweighs those concerns. At the moment.

"In the meantime, though no formal declaration was made at the time, I think the Society should petition the Crown to consider those waters a British Reserve, with the Society acting as conservator. Until the value of the find is properly assessed, and the threats that it implies are weighed, any congress with the outside world should be constrained. Until the matter is settled, I ask that any public references to your expedition should contain no hard dates or geographical indicators that might allow those with unscrupulous motives, such as our late German adversary, to disturb the Kamuan lands or peoples. What say you?"

"Also, I must further apologize to Mr. DaSilva. Enny, my lad, your skills are invaluable and well-developed, and have served the Society upon a number of occasions. But here, I am afraid, I sent you into a situation you were totally foreign to. You are very adept at working within civilized environs and charming society's best, but I threw you into something that would have taxed even my skills, honed by the wilds of deepest Africa. Still, by all accounts, you have acquitted yourself in admirable fashion and I'm am more than satisfied with your performance. You began this endeavor with a debt to the Society. Consider that debt paid in full. You are a free agent, once more." He pauses to lift a glass in Enny's honor.

"Now that you have unlimited prospects, however, let me offer to enjoin you to a position within my personal sphere of holdings. I have any number of affairs that are better suited to the ministrations of a resourceful man of your talents, and hope you might be swayed through the enticement of significant remuneration?" He smiles.

After that, the serious business of the conversation begins. Tales are told and certain details withheld(?), with the narrative passing form person to person as each gets their chance to shine. Lord Henry listens to all of this with a credulous manner, though he does ask for multiple descriptions of the dinosauria. "Good lord, wouldn't the head of one of those great brutes be a centerpiece on a hunting wall? Probably have to move the wall back, eh? Still, I don't envy any of you the task of convincing others of their mere existence. Dashed shame about the camera and notebooks."

"Ooh, all my samples and notes at the bottom of that blasted infernal sea of mists!" moans MacGregor, who now walks quite spritely, though carries a newly purchased silver-handled walking stick for the affectation. Pachmar notices that the head is shaped into the likeness of the head of one of the flying reptiles of Kamua. Doubtless custom work.

"Well, I fortunately managed to keep hold of my linguistic notes," adds Emma, "though they are a great deal less sensational than the natural history discoveries, they shall doubtless add tremendous insight into the root of human language. I suppose I will fin some way of referring to... extra-planetary influence as an isolated primogenitive influence, or some such nonsense. What we discovered along those lines still bears a great deal of exploration and corroboration."

"I encourage you to at least record your private theories and suspicions. Tolliver Bode would likely find them a fascinating addition to the Society's Secret Archives."

Emma looks a bit confused. "But those are reserved for Society members."

Lord Henry smoothly replies, as if he has not led the conversation to this point with great patience and skill, "Dash it all, you're right. I suppose we shall have to do something about that. I had a short chat with the Colonel and a few phone calls to enough members of the Governing Board before dinner. Damned useful things, these telephones. They see no impediment, so long as you have the recommendation and sponsorship of at least three Society members in good standing. Around this table, we have four, including myself.

"Miss Emma Elizabeth Witherspoon, in light of your resourcefulness in pushing back the darkness of human ignorance, despite personal danger and hardship, and exemplifying the finest qualities of character set down by our founders, Charles and Abigail Venture, I formally nominate you for Society membership, with all the rights, responsibilities, duties, and conduct that entails, and ask for members present to support that nomination."

He looks about the table, particularly at Brady, Pachmar and Pope. "What say ye?"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 am

Professor Pope frowns and twirls the end of his moustache a little before speaking: :eh:

"I have no objection. Miss Witherspoon has earned her place in the Society. I second the nomination."

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:51 pm

Brady raises his empty glass, having drained it several times already without realizing it would be needed for a toast.

"Cho huda!" he belches confidently.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:40 pm

Pachmar nods firmly, a slight smile apparent on his normally stern and reserved face.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:53 am

Emma is shocked speechless by the pronouncement, but actually snorts with audible laughter at Brady's toast. Glasses are lifted and drained and Lord Henry gives the startled scholar a little bow.

"Well, I think that's pretty clear. It won't become official until the presentation ceremony, but that's formality at this point. Welcome to the Society, Venturer!"

The meal is finished with convivial camaraderie, and good nights are said. Over the next few days, people are given time and opportunity to put private affairs in order and resume responsibilities. Pope finds a mountain of correspondence awaiting for him, while Pachmar is hard pressed to run interference for him so that he has ten minutes to concentrate. Besides, the Sikh is kept very busy making a promised place for Ando and Jinda in the Professor's household. Brady has his beloved Greta taken to a local airfield and hangared while he gets to the serious business of tinkering. Maybe the Professor will forget to ask for the guns back...? Enny is given lucrative employment in the enterprises of Lord Henry, a job with ample opportunity to exercise his considerable social skills.

In one week's time, after review by the board, the President of the Society Sir Reginald Maybury presents Emma Witherspoon with a Venture Ring in public ceremony. Members present give enthusiastic response as they remember their own joining ceremonies. Horace Witherspoon seems particularly lucid and fit to pop the buttons on his vest with pride.

MacGregor shows up to the event and joins the party for brandies afterward. His thick brogue is accentuated by the amount of alcohol he has already consumed, though his hands are steady. "Och, it's a great day fer ye, lass. Guid on ye." He drains his snifter and gazes about hopefully for the butler before continuing. "I'm right glad ye're all gathered together, fer there's a wee bit of a proposition I'd like to place before ye. I've just been asked to choose between a couple of projects. I decided to turn down a rather lurcative, ahem loo-crative offer from the White Star Line. Their engineer is right enough, but willna stand up to that popinjay of a president. I wash me hands of it.

"Nae, I've another offer that I'd like to let ye all in on. The budget is nae there, it being a private project, and the... engineer if ye can call him that is possibly the most annoying little streak on the face of the earth, but oh, the sheer possibilities if we can pull it off. I wouldna e'en have given the little man a minute of me time if I hadna seen with me own eyes that marvelous craft we lost beneath the waters o' Kamua."

MacGregor senses that he must either bring his buildup to a head or risk losing his audience completely. "All right. I see the man yon. No Society member he, but then neither am I. I told him about our adventures and misadventures and made him to understand that his planned expedition is doomed to disaster withoot experienced heads." He waves his hand to get the attention of a short, round-bodied, thin-legged little man, with a jerky quality in his motions. Though the event is formal, this individual has seen fit to clothe himself in a cricket cap, with cycling knickerbockers and stockings. He ambles over when he recognizes MacGregor, preceded by an odd and instantly annoying buzzing hum that seems to emanate from some indeterminate depth of his sinuses or vocal apparatus.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce to ye, Mister Selwyn Cavor, who has an invention he says will change the world."

-------- END OF BOOK ONE --------

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm

"Well it's not like world changing inventions have caused us any problems in the past" says Enny with a wink. "Cheers".

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Have you found the yellow sign?

Return to “Play By Post”