Tales of the Venture Society - IC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Sun May 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Last edited by keithcurtis on Sat May 23, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - IC

Postby keithcurtis » Sun May 10, 2015 10:55 pm

Pope & Pachmar

October, 19--
Professor Pope has been invited to speak at the latest symposium of the Venture Society. It is the beginning of October in London. A yellow haze lies over the city, not the deadly thick fog, which the Professor knew perfectly well could be eliminated through better regulation of coal fires, but a dun-coloured veil that hangs over the house-tops, giving the viewer an impression of the city that is at once claustrophobic, and conducive of a sense of mystery and indefinite expanse. It is colder than is normal for the season, causing even his ascetic companion Pachmar to wear an English style gentleman's coat over his more traditional garb.

The Hansom has taken them from the train station to the prestigious address of the Society on Cromwell Road in the center of the city. The scene at the Society building is more quiet than most Symposiums they have attended, and the Professor might feel a sense of frustration at too small an audience for his attentions.

The cabby lets them off on the carriage drive that fronts the main building, tipping his hat and saying, “Good afternoon, guvnor! mind you don’t let none of them eggheads and graybeards give you any guff. Me missus reads me The Strand articles that newspaper fella tells o’ ye. They are a larf, I do say. Did you really punch the Royal Astronomer in the nose?”

Brady

October, 19-
Charles Brady senses his luck is about to turn good. It’s about time. He’s sure had enough of the other kind. God bless John Ringling for understanding the dangers inherent in modern aviation, and being so good as to let him buy the Model Ex for a fraction of its worth, even given its sorry state. It was a shame that fellow from the New York Venture Society branch wasn’t able to find anyone able to fix her up. Charles surely knew his way around a monkey wrench, but he had big ideas for the old girl, beyond his engineering skills.

Still the old boy at the VS was more than generous in offering him this job helping to transport some artifacts and papers to the London Society. Sure he was little more than a glorified stevedore, since there was an honest-to-gosh professor actually curating the shipment, but he was getting free passage out of the deal, plus the 800 lbs of cargo space needed to transport the wounded Model EX. Even now the old girl was in a warehouse at Customs on the waterfront. He figured he’d be able to keep her there for a week until the few funds he had left dried up. Nevertheless, the chances of getting someone to look at his plans for repairs and improvements here were pretty dang good, and the folk of the British Isles had sure never seen anything like his aerobatics. With luck, he’d be able to start doing shows again and.. well, once he was back in the air, who cared what happened after that?

He had even asked the scientist fella on the ship, Doctor MacGregor, if he was interested. The reedy old Scotsman had huffed a bit at the idea, saying he was a serious engineer, and believed in solid and sensible engineering, not these seat-of-your-pants stunt machines. Still, despite his gruff dismissal, he had been kind enough to recommend an old schoolmate of his. “Professor Eldritch Pope is the man you want to see,” he said in his pronounced brogue. “This sort of blethers is exactly the sort of thing he gets all daft oe’r. If I were you young man, I would’nae fash myself over this aeronautical fad, and instead find a sensible young lady to ground ye. Och, weel. I kin see yer no disposed to be talked out of it. Here’s an article aboot him in Strand Magazine (sensational rubbish), wi’ his picture to boot. Ye should have nae trouble findin’ him.”

The pompous Scot had been prophetic, though. It is late afternoon, and no sooner has he walked up the carriage drive of the Society Museum—for who could afford cab fare in his state, and the stingy old Doc hadn’t offered to give him a lift with the crates—than out of a horse-drawn london cab steps the very man himself, flanked by a huge dark-eyed man in a great turban. The two seem to be engaged with an unusually talkative cabbie.
Last edited by keithcurtis on Mon May 11, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Mon May 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Brady twists his copy of Strand in both hands as he approaches the professor, a little surprised at the lack of a throng. The tabloid had painted an impressive picture of the man, and he had come expecting it difficult to have a word. Charles fails to see the lack of a crowd as speaking to anything more than his own good fortune.

"Help you with your bags, professor?" he asks, trotting up as the pair exit the carriage.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Mon May 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Professor Pope pauses on the pavement, adjusting his waistcoat after the tedious cab ride. His initial grimace at being bothered by a chatty cab-driver turns quickly to a smile as the fellow admits to being a fan. Clearly London cabbies are becoming more discerning sorts. :)

"Punch? No. It was merely the gravitational pull exerted by such a huge proboscis that drew my hand towards it. There was really nothing I could do." ;)

As the porter makes his request, he replies:

"What? Oh, no need; my man can manage quite well. Delicate equipment, you understand. Come along Pachmar. The Society awaits us."

And with that he turns and ascends the wide marble steps to the Society building, thinking it only slightly odd that the Society has taken to employing American porters. He attempts to place the accent from memory of his time at MIT.

That last bit is an attempt to express his knowledge of languages.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon May 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Might as well try this out early.
American Midwest is as close as you can come without hearing more. Unless you want to Express

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon May 11, 2015 1:08 pm

Hmmm... definitely mid-west, but where...? The professor pauses half-way up the steps, lost in thought as he mentally parses the various accents of his associates at Massachusetts, seeking some similarity of tone or cadence... :think:

...and as he stopped so suddenly Pachmar walks straight into him, knocking him sprawling up the remaining steps in front of the great wooden doors to the Society.

goatunit

Postby goatunit » Mon May 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Charles walks alongside, leaving the manservant and bags by the cab.

"Say, what's this symposium about anyway?" he asks. "I'm more of an Expo guy, myself."

If Pope should bother to cast him a second glance, he'll see a Midwest farm boy in a brown flight jacket. His tan hair is a perpetually wind-blown slop, but his eyes are sharp and inquisitive. A sheaf papers is folded and stuffed awkwardly in his back pocket, providing a glimpse of both legitimate schematics and back-of-the-envelope drawings on scraps and napkins. The man's cheeks are sunburned, but for the impression left around his eyes by oversized goggles.

(edit: ninja'd)

When the Professor takes his spill up the steps, Charles is quick to offer him a hand.

"You ok there, doc?"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon May 11, 2015 1:25 pm

Pope accepts the helping hand and is pulled to his feet, whereupon Pachmar dutifully pulls out a small hand brush and begins dusting him down.

"Indiana, yes?" he asks the aviator, as that is surely what this man must be, judging by his appearance. :eh:

"Forgive me, I took you for a porter. But now I see that you are anything but..." He looks the man up and down again, one eyebrow raised in a characteristic expression. :eh:

"Professor Eldritch Pope, at your service." He gives a small bow.

goatunit

Postby goatunit » Mon May 11, 2015 1:49 pm

"Charles Brady," he responds. "They call me the 'Indiana Icarus' on account of I'm an aviator!"

He seems to have missed the subtleties of his nickname.

"Met a colleague of yours; a Doc MacGregor. So your name, eight dollars, and a busted airplane's all I got in the world. Don't let me keep you from your business, but I'd love a word when you're done with your lecture."

He reaches to open the door for the professor.

If we'd like to try another expression here, I could call on my Carny Showmanship. He's attempting to entice the professor with an opportunity to see something interesting.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon May 11, 2015 1:59 pm

Busted aeroplane? :think:

"My good fellow, you must be my guest. I believe you will find my talk to be of considerable interest. It concerns the application of centrifugal compression to increase the power output of the internal combustion engine."

:eh:

:think:

"Superchargers... for aeroplanes!" :D

By this time various people have patented designs for superchargers, including Roots, Daimler and Renault, but only recently (1908) has anyone, Lee Chadwick of USA, built a supercharged engine for a racing car. Nobody has yet done it for an aircraft.

Return to “Play By Post”