Tales of the Venture Society - OOC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - OOC

Postby keithcurtis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm actually from the same school you are from. I have tried several times to set up "sandbox" games, but due to my proclivities, and frankly, my choice of players, it almost always gravitates back to the traditional power structure.

You can see this quite handily in the campaign we just finished. Towards the beginning, I attempted to allow greater possibility of PC input in the resolution of a conflict, but this decreased over time, as in practice the players general gave an indication of how they might affect the outcome, but almost never narrated it.

Neither play style is wrong of course, but it's obvious that the system neither enforces nor encourages player direction, as intended. Rather than allow players to have greater narrative control by giving them greater success, it tended to feel like it was punishing the players for not taking control. If this behavior is not the player's natural style, it leads to a sense of frustration.

My previous campaigns were all run with the Hero System, about as crunchy and tactical as you can find. In that, I asked players for their intended actions and goals, and ran the combat locally, using a program I created to log all rolls, actions and outcomes. I even used minis. I would then re-write that log into an action-by-action narrative form. It had the benefit of modeling abilities very well, but was a tremendous load of work for me. Running a couple rounds of combat (for a party of 7), took several hours, whereas this system is only a matter of minutes. I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

Not sure where to head with this. LF, you are far and away the most dedicated and prolific player on the PbP boards, so your input and gratification are very important. I haven't even come close to deciding what to do from here out, so I am open to ideas from everyone.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I think a break to consider your options and generally recharge the batteries will be a good thing. I'd be interested to hear what the other players have to say on the subjects raised here. For my part, I'm quite willing to commit to being a part of whatever game you next decide to run, if you'll have me. Even if it isn't my favourite style I can cope with much for a good game, and this has certainly been that. :D
"...with frikin' lasers!"

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 pm

Thanks. :)

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:52 pm

OK... my two cents.

A. I love the story, the setting, and the characters. From that perspective, I am fully in for the next book.

B. I did not expect to really like the system and it turned out I do. It felt pretty unobtrusive which helped the game survive a couple of slow downs that are going to happen and that I have seen take down games before. I can also see the advantage to you in speeding up the process.

C. I do feel like I would like some form of character advancement. I don't feel like Pachmar is any better at anything after the adventure (or different in any way).

D. I am not sure if it's more a consequence of Pachmar's character concept (the strong silent type) or the system, but I did feel a lot of the time like I was reading along and waiting for the moments when Pachmar could really swing into action.

Anyway, really looking forward to where it goes from here.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:09 pm

I had a difficult time getting into the swing of narrating my results, but mostly because I never felt confident as a player distinguishing degrees of success or failure. I'll make a point of working on that in Book 2.

Character advancement is welcome of course, but the system seems not to require it. It has a very pulpy feel in which everyone is capable, but also a sort of "a man is a man and a bullet will kill him" kind of feel which I liked. The story was engaging, and I felt progressively better equipped as play went on by the accumulation of tools, knowledge, and allies. Judging the system alone, I think it would be insufficient to hold my interest if the narrative had been less awesome. As it was though, I actually liked it more for its invisibility.

I thought you did a good job of including conditional modifiers on rolls, which is something I always mean to do in my games that I usually lose track of in the heat of play. It made a big difference for me re: LF's comment about being one-trick ponies. I never felt bashful about taking my chances on something even if I didn't have an expression to throw in the pot. I suppose I did feel like there were times that we faced down a challenge, had rolled too low to succeed, and we all waited around on each other to manifest some kind of mechanical bonus to keep us from game-ending catastrophe. Not sure of any solution off the top of my head, but it could be a good spot to look for amending the system.

Anyway, this was a great game and I am eager to continue at your convenience. :thumbup:

goatunit

Postby goatunit » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:11 pm

I've got a little tradition of posting theme songs for characters, so I thought it would be fun to do here.

For Professor Pope, I was torn between his Englishmanliness and his Scientism in a world of wonders, but I went with the latter:

For Brady:

For Pachmar:

For Enny:

For Emma:

For Jinda:

For the aliens:

For the island:

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:27 am

Nice! :clap:

Sadly I cannot access Pope's song.

goatunit

Postby goatunit » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:19 am

Hmmm, try this.

If that doesn't work, it's "Gentlemen," by the Handsome Family.

The lyrics are basically a scientist proving the existence of ghosts to his colleagues via a contraption he's built.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:26 am

Apparently "this track is not available in the United Kingdom". Oh well, thanks anyway. :thumbup:

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:20 am

Those are incredible. Thanks!

Return to “Play By Post”