Tales of the Venture Society - OOC

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Re: Tales of the Venture Society - OOC

Postby goatunit » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Sorry, gang. I've been chasing mirages of free time for awhile, trying to find two seconds to rub together. Should be able to catch up with some posts tonight and tomorrow, then after the holiday I'm hoping to improve my habits as I have a new laptop!

And yeah, I've definitely hit a few outages when I did have some time. And very slow loading besides. That seems to have passed now though.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:35 am

Is the last line of the IC thread meant to ask us (through our characters) if we want to continue to play in this world? 'Cause if so, the answer is an unequivocal "Hell yes!"
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Thanks for the enthusiasm. :)

No, although we are in a more or less denouement of the adventure, I'm giving the opportunity to resolve any loose ends or give opportunities for character bits. Once you return to London, I will likely allow some in-game downtime to pass before starting another arc.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Sorry folks, I got slammed with some heavy freelance deadlines. I'll try to update tonight.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 am

I'll be taking off for the Great White North for the next four days. Feel free to start dinner without me.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Cavor? :shock: Oh my!
"...with frikin' lasers!"

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:42 pm

Well that ends the first book. The system didn't run quite like I envisioned, but it was close enough to be workable, I think. Drawbacks did not come into play nearly as often as I had envisioned, but I'm not sure how to modify that. Also, the order of play (who rolls what, and when) worked out a little differently in real life.

LF. You had mentioned XP and character advancement. The built-in advancement I have in place is that each character who has completed one adventure arc (as has just happened) gains 1 XP. This XP can be used several ways:

Postal wrote:Raw Experience
A character can keep his experience unsepent to use as a wildcard Expression in an Encounter.
Whenever a character uses Experience, they must reference something that happened to their character in the course of play.
Characters with several Raw Experience Points can use one or more of them in a single Exchange if they wish, but they are used up until the the GM declares a Reset. Raw Experience cannot be used to simulate constant abilities (applies mostly to campaigns with magic or psionics,etc.).

Buy off a Drawback
A character can trade an Experience to buy off a Drawback.
Example: Hod Sammelson the Cleric has been blind since character conception. The player has felt that he has gotten all that he can out of role-playing that, and has discovered that having to watch out for him is no fun for the other players. He talks it over with the GM and they contrive a story to restore Hod’s sight. The character permanently expends his experience to buy off the Blindness Drawback.

Improve a Property
A character can trade an experience point for a permanent boost in one of their base Properties. This results in a general overall improvement of their effectiveness in that Property, but doesn’t add any new abilities (Expressions)

Does that sound sufficient/workable?

Also, since this whole campaign is essentially a playtest, I'd like to give players the opportunity to completelly re-write their characters, provided they retain the central concept. Or if you wish, you can create a brand new character for the next book. I know Willie wasn't happy with the skills and abilities he had chosen for Enny and felt like a fish out of water for most of the campaign. The next campaign will likely be a Planetary Romance (John Carter, Flash Gordon), so anyone seeking a new character might want to think along those lines.

Finally, I need to address a major issue. When I started this campaign, it was my only RP outlet, and I had a lot of time to spend on it. Since then, I have joined another online game, started a weekly game with my old high school friends, and my daughter has started high school. All of these things draw on my creeativity, time and energy. You can see by the number of maps and background material I created at the beginning, contrasted to that toward the end, that I just could devote myself to it as fully. I would like to start a new campaign, but I am leery of how much I can realistically give to it. I just wanted that to be open from the start. There might be a bit of a gap between book one and book two so that I can take a breather.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I'm perfectly happy to take a breather before jumping off into another adventure.

Let me be honest here; I'm not a huge fan of the system. I've stuck with it because you have made it such an interesting and engaging story, and I have enjoyed playing in it. There have been many times, however, when I've felt frustrated by my lack of options, and that doesn't look like being something that's going to change in further adventures.

If you've seen the things I've written in other discussions on the forum about game style preferences, it'll come as no surprise that I find the lack of character growth and progression a real problem. I may be able to cope with that, but I think I'll need a bit of time to mull it over and see if I can generate any enthusiasm for more of the same. The offer of a rewrite is welcome, and may provide the change I need to tailor my character to give me more flexibility and utility.

I hate to sound like an old sourpuss, especially as I have enjoyed the game and I'm really grateful to you for all the effort you've put into it for us. What you have crafted is truly an exceptional piece of work. Thank you. :D

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Is there a system that you know of that you think might run better for online play? The purported goal of the Postal System was to shift some of the work of conflict resolution to the players, to promote a more collaborative narrative and frankly, to take some of the work load away from the GM.

If you have any recommendations, I'd be happy to take a look.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:27 pm

keithcurtis wrote:Is there a system that you know of that you think might run better for online play? The purported goal of the Postal System was to shift some of the work of conflict resolution to the players, to promote a more collaborative narrative and frankly, to take some of the work load away from the GM.

I rather suspect that I am the misfit here, not the system per se. It does appear to largely achieve the goals as you set them out there, so I'm unable to suggest a system that will do that better for you.

No, I think my own issues revolve around four aspects in particular:

1) The lack of mechanical options in the character make-up. We aren't exactly 'one trick ponies' but I have found the range of expressions from which I can act to be very limited, and made more so by the nature of the challenges (requiring the use of expressions from particular abilities). Perhaps I am at fault here for not designing my character to have more useful skills across a range of situations. Having always to use the same thing does get rather samey for me, though.

2) The apparent bias towards certain abilities over others. It may just be an unintended by-product of the scenario and the way we approached it, but it does feel like Combat played a far greater role than any other ability in terms of number of conflicts. Physical and Social, by contrast, seemed to feature hardly at all. Again, this restricts the utility of some of the things on people's character profiles.

3) The lack of character growth and development. The rate of growth possible from 1XP per adventure may be fitting to the style of game you are going for, but to me it is woefully small and a real cause for concern. It means I'm basically going to be playing with the same set of abilities for the entire campaign, and I'm afraid that takes away a lot of the stuff that I enjoy about gaming.

4) The focus on player control over the narrative. I'm old school, and I'm far more comfortable with the set-up in which the players describe their actions and what they are trying to do, and the GM adjudicates and describes the outcome. Having to describe the outcome of my own intervention does not come easily to me, and I actually find it detracts from my immersion in the game, as I'm kind of deciding what happens instead of just 'being' my character.

As I said before I think this is far more about me as a player than about your game system, so please don't take it as criticism of you or your work. I may just be a bad fit for this style of game.

Return to “Play By Post”