Elder Scrolls: The Final Scroll (IC)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Elder Scrolls: The Final Scroll (IC)

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 pm

Kneeling in her embrace, Hengis gazes at her in silence for a moment, then a single giant tear rolls from his eye down his cheek.

"AYE LASS," he says, his voice low but still powerful due to his enhanced stature. "YE ARE MY STRENGTH IN ALL THINGS. I NEED NO GODS TAE GUIDE ME SAE LANG AS I HAVE YE BY MY SIDE." She feels a shudder run through him as if he is taking strength from her to settle himself.

He gives her a smile, lights up Gavel and casts his spell to transport them to the dunmer, leaving Goldbrand lying discarded on the dusty heap of rubble.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby sbonner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Seeing no Dunmer, then hearing the sword, then seeing Hengis and Thael disappear with no further directions, Svendr sighs deeply and says, "well, this is all cocked up. Let's see if we can find the Jarl, Kyle. Keep an eye out for the Dunmer, in case he outmaneuvers Thael."

Under his breath, Svendr mutters to Boethiah, "and I did such a good job being a prick for you, too."

Svendr will head toward what remains of the building, and try to find a way in that isn't too awfully unsound, structurally.
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Kyle will follow Svendr, dutifully keeping watch for any danger. He's really not sure what's happening, but while he has a sword and someone to guard he'll content himself with that and leave the heavy thinking to those better equipped for it.

:think:

sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby sbonner » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Kyle will ... leave the heavy thinking to those better equipped for it. :think:

Kyle may be making some unfortunate assumptions.
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:58 am

"You dare defy your--!" the voice roars angrily, cut off from Hengis and Thael's perspective by their sudden departure.

Despite the dust and drizzle, Goldbrand gleams as beautifully as it might on a cloudless night, with the moon and all the stars shining clear upon its perfect blade. Its craftsmanship is well beyond the talent of any mortal to mimic--near impossible for any man with an eye for beauty and a love of artistry to ignore. Unique too. And storied. It comes and goes through the eras, finding its way several times into hands belonging to men and mer who stand in history like pillars in a cathedral.

Few have touched it or, indeed, any daedric artifact. It must feel so strange to hold (or even just touch, just for a moment) a thing as old as time, written into the scrolls with that same ink that drew the sky. Those who have held it spoke only of its power--but this is an elegant and important sliver of creation... future generations yearn for a poet to have carried it just once, in all the long centuries, just one solitary time. Why should every beautiful thing belong forever to one or another conqueror or villain or even a well-meaning oaf of a warrior?

It's valuable as well, obviously. Worth an Emperor's fortune. Worth a pardon, certainly. Perhaps even worth genuine forgiveness, considering the sum of good a man could do with a mountain of gold for those he's wronged. How many ballads end with the villain redeemed of a wicked life by a single act of selfless good?

Imagine it, too, in a jeweled scabbard, displayed in the court of Sultan Fahara'jad VII of Hammerfell. His rivals, at home and abroad, could hardly pretend any longer that His Majesty was just some opportunistic, provincial upstart rather than the Heart of the Heart of the Enlightened Land. These things have a way of awing the loyal and cowing the faithless... they show to the eyes of men what is already known in heaven; that the bearer has been harnessed with the burden of greatness. At any rate, its delivery would far exceed what expectations the Grand Caliph might place on an agent tasked with a mission of mere good-will diplomacy. Men have sat long at the Sultan's right hand for much less. Such a deed could earn a place for a man's son, and grandson, and a dozen generations after.

Hengis is wise, but his demon anger is sometimes quicker to act than his angel of calm. Whether he stands by his proclamation against Boethiah or rethinks and regrets it once his blood has cooled, the obvious task of a loyal friend and follower would be to secure this relic.

If, in the end, he chooses to be rid of it, then he should dispose of it consciously--destroy it even. Deny Boethiah one of her avenues into the world, through which she tempts men to betray one another. And if he chooses to keep it, it would certainly exhibit one's good judgement to have it waiting on hand. Or perhaps he will be indifferent to this magnificent blade, and do as he has with the other shiny trinkets he has no use for: cast it to one of his lowly servants as a gesture to secure their continuing servitude. Maybe the next time Hengis orders a "companion" to die on his behalf, this sword and whatever other discarded scraps have been thrust onto them could empower the slave to at least see to his own survival.

Or to the survival of a certain long-exploited comrade.

By Boethiah, it would hardly be surprising if he took her away alone so there'd be no witnesses. Does she really think he's going to set aside his agenda for a day or two on her behalf? She should have someone by her side who understands the burden she carries, and who cares enough to share her urgency. Someone really should've had the courage to stick up for her interests by now. Somebody ought to have put a (golden) sword in that petty scoundrel and shown this band of heroes what they're capable of when led by a man of conviction and courage and compassion.

Or just leave it there in the rubble for some completely random rag-and-bone junk-picker to find. Awful powerful magic to leave to chance though. Here's hoping the illiterate gravedigger or dimwit stableboy that finds it is pure enough of heart to resist its charms. In fact, here's hoping that whoever finds it is a random nobody in the first place. The world should be so kind. No... if you leave that weapon lying there, you can count on seeing it again someday.

-----

Down in a claustrophobic earthen shaft, Thael and Hengis snap into being just a few feet before the bloody, limping dunmer. The elf's cursing and spitting stop abruptly as his eyes widen in surprise.

Aaaaand, gotta cut there. I'll try to run the actual attack later today or tomorrow. If anybody's feeling particularly eager and helpful, a quick update on attack and damage bonuses would sure make it easy on me.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:21 am

Hengis combat stats:

AC 30; Damage Reduction 10 against the dunmer; +30/+25/+20 to hit; 2d6 +24 damage
If he can manoeuvre enough to flank with Thael he'll keep the extra +2 to hit

I'm not going to even attempt to decypher Thael's combat stats. Good luck with that! :thumbup:

Re. your last post, those sound like the thoughts of the various characters nearby, but I am concerned about the third one, which looks like it's intended for Kyle. Is that so? And if so, are those his actual thoughts? Because that's a long way from the personality I've given him and appears as if Boethiah is messing with his head. I'm unsure how much free will to allow Kyle here. If he is being compelled then clearly he'll go and pick up the sword.

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:47 am

Those are fleeting thoughts, more like Wormtongue whispering in each character's ear than any kind of magical compulsion. Kyle's were intended to illustrate Boethiah's nature and were absolutely an intentional misread of his actual character. She showed her hand there.

Edit: Bad metaphor, since Wormtongue's whispers were magical compulsions... but hopefully you take my meaning. They were intended to tempt, but they don't compel.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 am

Main hand: +24 hit / +19 hit / + 14 hit 1d6 +16 dmg
Off hand: 22 hit / +17 hit /+12 hit / 1d6 + 13 dmg

Crit range 15-20 x 2 w/ bursting dice 1d10

That assumes rage is still up. She activated it when Kyle went down (1/2 round before tower went down). If she's not in rage still, then take away 2 to hit from main hand and 2 dmg; 1 to hit from off hand and dmg.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:20 am

Considering her words to Hengis during his crisis I'd have thought it unlikely she is still raging, but I'm not an expert on the mechanics. Can she do it again if the previous bout ended?

Kyle pauses in following along behind Svendr, as the various nagging thoughts flit across his mind. He shakes his head suddenly, in revulsion that he could even think such things... and with a touch of embarrassment at how much they reveal of his own inner feelings.

Still, the more practical ideas do strike a chord with him. One of his roles in this group has long been to go around and pick up any loose treasure the others leave lying around behind them in their haste. Such a valuable and potent weapon shouldn't be left for just anyone to come along and claim. Who knows what might happen if it should fall into the wrong hands? Hengis will want to decide what to do with it, once this business is finished... :think:

He steps carefully over the rubble in the direction of the glowing sword. If nobody stops him he'll pick it up and admire it, perhaps give it a few practice swings to guage its weight and balance...

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:56 am

Rage can last so many rounds once turned on. The barbarian can't make any int skill based checks while this happens. It sort of depends on how long it took to sort things out once the tower went down. I'm ok with a ruling that it took longer than she had rounds (don't have book, but I think it's 1+new con modifier rounds). I'm also ok with a ruling that giving that speech brought her rage down. But I thought I'd point it out that she technically could still be in rage if it was a short enough time span. Throttle down as needed.

Oh crap, yeah and if rage is down she'd be fatigued for an equal amount of time. Don't have the stats for that handy either. Sort of up to GU about how long and if the RP overrides the rules in this case. Ok with however you see the narrative.

Return to “Play By Post”