Elder Scrolls: The Final Scroll (IC)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Re: Elder Scrolls: The Final Scroll (IC)

Postby goatunit » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:38 pm

The six mercenaries exchange looks, then disperse into the crowd. Svendr can see them surreptitiously nudging comrades. One goes to the bartender, who quickly excuses herself and heads through the door behind the bar.

Svendr, Kyle, and Thael approach the Tesserarius' table, and answer his guards to their satisfaction when stopped. One of them pulls out a chair for Svendr to have a seat.

"Olus Senius Mutuso," the Tesserarius says, introducing himself. The guard on his left flank reaches into a satchel and hands over some papers that look like contracts, followed by a quill and ceramic stamp. A candle burns at the center of the table.

"Here for work, I take it. We pay ten septims a head, per day. You can divide the pay between yourselves and your men, according to your own arrangements. I'm also authorized to grant amnesty for previous crimes if that's relevant. How many men do you have?"

sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby sbonner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37 pm

Svendr answers with the number of men who came through the gate, rounded up to the nearest 10s. "I am Seld, Second in Command of the Black Company. I speak for the company, and my Captain, Kyle of the Red Fist. I also read for him, and sign for him. Please excuse me while I review the contract." Svendr stays seated and reads. If the Tessarius starts to take notice of something in the room, Svendr will distract him with a question. This can't last too long, but hopefully will last long enough for everything to get in place and Kyle to make it go boom.

Once Kyle sets the fight off, Svendr's plan is to shout "FOR SKYRIM!" and send a Nordic shout to whomever looks like they might be about to flank Thael as she engages the Tessarius. Then it's rousing Bard music (Inspire Courage) to move the fight along in our favor as Svendr gets to a relatively safe position. Then, once IC is in full swing, it's time for dancing daggers. After that is going, it's Inspire Greatness on Thael. And with that the Bardic magic cycle is in full motion.
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

Lord Foul
Kangaroo, Buffalo, and Chris, OH MY!

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:46 am

Nice work, Sven. I recall you can inspire greatness in two people now, so can we assume Kyle also benefits?

Kyle bides his time, allowing Sven to put the enemy at ease and giving the mercenaries time to muster in readiness. He plays his part, of the leader of Svendr's band who cannot read the contracts, and gradually moves himself into the best position from which to strike at the guards. He wants space to swing Mistiltein so he can potentially get more than one of them if his aim is true. He also keeps a surreptitious eye on the crowd, apparently to catch bits of the minstrel's performance, but really watching for signs that the mercenaries are ready.

When he judges the moment to be optimal, ideally as attention is drawn to some other part of the room, he reaches up to grasp the hilt of his trusty sword and whips it out and down in a practised mighty swing, aiming to cut down the two nearest guards if he can.

First strike: AC 20, +3 Greatsword, +15 to hit, 2d6 +20 damage
Subsequent rounds: AC 21, +3 Greatsword, +15/+10/+15 to hit, 2d6 +28 damage (speed, courage)
Full support: AC 22, +3 Greatsword, +15/+10/+15 to hit, 2d6 +35 damage (speed, courage, greatness, prayer)
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:12 am

Outside, Hengis follows up his Shield of Faith with a Divine Favour and a Divine Power. Then, when the noise from the inn tells them that it has begun, and Qadir strikes down the magician, he steps forward, casts a Prayer:

"Mighty Boethiah, Prince of Rebellion, hear my words! Give us the strength tae cast doon the tyrants that hold this place in thrall, fer yer eternal grace and majesty! March with us tae a FREE SKYRIM!...CHARGE!"

and he leads the men into the inn, where they spread out and engage anyone who gets in their way. Hengis has his faithful hounds by his side, and they'll fight together as a tight unit.

Hengis: AC 28 (+7 initiative), +3 Warhammer (two handed), +19/+14/+9 to hit, 1d8 +39 damage
Hounds: AC 15 (+5 initiative), Bite, +10 to hit, 1d6 +7 damage (Trip as free action on bite)
I've taken the support spells into account here (Prayer and Inspire Courage)
Note that the dogs' Trip does not give opponents attacks of opportunity, but anyone who is prone and gets up will give attacks of opportunity to the dogs and Hengis (who has combat reflexes allowing up to 4 AoO per round).

Everyone else on our side gets +3 to hit and +3 damage. All enemies get -1 to hit and -1 damage.

There are two legionaries outside the inn. They'll be engaged by some of the men as it'll take a while to get any significant numbers in through the door. I can't see them lasting long.

sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby sbonner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:17 am

Oh, yes, Inspire Greatness goes to both our beasts of blood. I think I'll switch order to inspire greatness before starting up the dagger of dancing, unless it's just impossible for Svendr to keep his head down long enough to get them going. The dagger is his defensive measure, and he's essentially choosing to go all-offense for 3 rounds (by proxy).

Inspire Courage +2 For duration of song +5 rounds, allies who hear song have +2 to hit, +2 damage, and +2 for morale rolls vs charm or fear.

Inspire Greatness Affects 2 ppl. For duration of song +5 rounds, gains 2 hit dice, 2d10 temporary HP, +2 to hit and +1 on fortitude saves

Battle Cry enemies in a 30’ radius must make a Will Save (vs DC 10 + Con Modifier) or become shaken (-2 on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) for the remainder of the encounter or until the Nord is incapacitated.

The Dirgist of Avanchnzel, +3 Dagger of Dancing
FTB on Google+

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 am

Thael will smile and play along and wait for Kyle's cue, then enact rage and attack the Tessararius. If she can't get to him physically, she'll cut down the guard blocking her. If she can get past, she'll allow the guy to take a swing so she can get to her target (Attack of Opportunity).

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Surprise Round

Kyle sets things in motion, deftly striking the guard to his left in the same fluid motion as he drew his blade (25 dmg). The guard proves stout enough to withstand the attack, but he is clearly surprised by it.

Thael dives onto the large, heavy table and rolls over its surface into a crouch. The surprised guards are unable to make attacks of opportunity. With a look of madness in her eyes, she plunges her rapier into the Tesserarius (critical hit, 58 dmg). He too survives.

Svendr trumpets the cause as he leaps to his feet, his voice rattling the windows of the tavern. Although the Tesserarius and his elite guards are unaffected, a shudder passes through many of the other imperials in the room--certain to give your mercenary allies an advantage.

Round 1

Once he hears the eruption inside, Qadir drops onto the mage on the porch. He slips a blade behind the clavicle (28 dmg) and levers the fresh corpse aside for his comrades to pass.

Somewhat surprised to see a man actually survive one of her deadly thrusts, Thael rips the blade free and plunges both in him for good measure (crit 43, crit 36), and the Tesserarius is no more. With a foot on his breastplate, she kicks him forward and lands atop him between the two guards, between whom she splits her remaining attacks (vs 1: crit 51, hit 23; vs 2: crit 42, hit 22). Both fall away from her, dead.

The two remaining guards manage to bring sword and shield to bear, with Kyle's engaging him (hit 10 dmg, and a miss) and the other following Thael across the table with two whacks of his longsword (hit 15 dmg, crit 28 dmg).

The crowd erupts into a brawling melee, spilling over the bar, crashing through tables and chairs, all boot knives and glass bottles and iron knuckles and a real weapon here-and-there. Hopefully your allies in the crowd know friend from foe, because you'd need Hengis' thought detection to tell the difference at the moment. Four men are dead in the first round, but you've no clue what side they were on.

Hengis casts his prayer and charges up the steps past Qadir and the dead mage, kicking in the door and storming into the chaos of the room, hounds eager at his heels. From the looks of it, Thael and Kyle can mop up the two remaining bodyguards, and so he looks over the room to pick out a suitable target. His men follow behind, though they can't all get through the door this round.

An Imperial in fine dress breaks out of the swamp of flesh and scrambles onto the bartop. He begins to cast a spell, which Hengis recognizes (Summon Daedra III).

Svendr's song Inspires Courage in his many allies--even those he hasn't yet identified.

The Imperial minstrel answers Svendr's song with one of his own, Inspiring Courage in his legion comrades with a song of loyalty.

Another unarmored Imperial adjacent to the minstrel produces a small jar in which something organic is suspended in preservative, and smashes it on the floor as he chants a spell. Terrifying black tentacles spring from the floor in a 40'x40' area, from the bar on the east side to the southern wall on the south. It stops just short of the minstrel. The tentacles grapple and grope and twist and crush anyone they can get a hold of, regardless of allegiance. Seven more members of the mob are killed as a result, and more are certain to follow in the coming minutes.

Kyle finishes off his opponent with another swing (35 dmg), following through to cleave upward through the bottom of the table and into the one who went after Thael (38 dmg). As the table falls apart under him and the guard drops to the ground, Mistiltein follows after (37 dmg). A twist of the blade serves for a killing blow (and then some... crit, 66 dmg).
Last edited by goatunit on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:35 am

Hengis appraises the scene and picks out the prime targets, the imperial magician atop the bar counter and the minstrel and mage near him over the far side of the room. As the writhing black tentacles lie between him and the bar, he heads across the room towards the minstrel and his chum, being careful to avoid the tentacle area. He barks a quick order to the men with him to avoid the tentacles if they can (like that's not obvious).

It seems likely he'll have to wade through the press to reach them, so he'll fight his way through with the dogs providing additional support (and hopefully a few extra attacks of opportunity along the way). Now this is a real bar-room brawl. Hengis is in his element and has a look of manic glee on his face. :D

Depending on what turns up in answer to the summoning spell, Hengis may need to deal with that too. I guess it also depends on where it appears.

Note: Hengis currently has damage reduction 5/magic. I'll take that off any damage you mention, so please let me know if anyone uses a magic weapon on him.

Meanwhile Kyle begins sweeping legionaries out of the way with Mistiltein, as he heads into the room from his corner, clearing a space behind him for Svendr to have some elbow room if he needs it. He will assume that anyone on our side will have the good sense to stay out of reach, but if he encounters men already fighting he'll pick out any obvious legionaries and leave their opponents.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:09 am

Please forgive any presumption, but in case other players are too busy with real life to provide on the spot instructions...

Thael, being enraged, has little option but to continue clearing the room of enemies at an alarming rate, working with Kyle to clear an area from the west and provide space for Svendr to act unimpeded.

Qadir could do worse than find another way into the inn and come at the enemy spellcasters from behind.

Naturally, if anyone wants to give their own instructions those will override anything here.

sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby sbonner » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:40 am

I've given about 4 rounds of plan for Svendr and have not seen anything that would change it, yet. If he had something magical/distance-use to stop that tentacle thing in the floor he would, but i don't think he has anything.
FTB on Google+

Return to “Play By Post”