Elder Scrolls (OOC)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Re: Elder Scrolls (OOC)

Postby goatunit » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Relevant page from the "black list."

I'm Stan. Darcie is my wife. Neither of us, nor most of those people (nor those on the other pages) have ever been near the mayor's house. My wife isnt even involved in activism and shouldn't be on any sort of list at all. Most of us are there as a retaliatory move to link us with stalkers and people who've made threats against local officials. Hard to explain to future employers and all that.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:00 pm

keithcurtis wrote:As for long term plans, Qadir has pretty much thrown in with this band and aims to see them through, so long as their goals continue to be in opposition to the Empire. Falkreath needs to be strong, so I think that getting rid of the Hag Sons is important. We need a strong countryside to keep up morale and production. The mountain passes definitely need some amount of control. Are there forts along them anywhere, do we know?

Have you considered the Hammerfell angle at all? I think it could be an interesting chapter or two in our story to head over there and help forge an alliance between our two independent nations. Who better to lead such a mission than Qadir? Obviously, this would be after we've secured Skyrim's independence under King Ulfric, so it's a way off yet. But it could be a great way for Qadir to take a more prominent role for a while.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

goatunit

Postby goatunit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:35 am

Sorry to keep going with this, but here's an article in the Guardian about Antonio's grandmother. It's the best take I've seen.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... are_btn_fb

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Sorry it took me a while to post on this. Seeing some of what you wrote LF lead me to pause for a couple of points I'll get into in a bit. Took me a bit to gather my thoughts.

It's no surprise that Thaelestra is interested in taking on the Hag Sons. Beyond maybe a quick run through those tunnels to chase off/finish any immediate resistance, she's going to be extremely hard to dissuade from taking up that cause within a day or so.

Thael isn't as into the politics, as it made it easier for me who also hasn't played this game to contribute. Of course, over time Thael has learned some things but she trusts her friends, the ones who have given passionate and delivered opinions.

The driving force behind our band is Hengis, and I worry that by reading 'distant and thoughtful' that this will be a large sea change for the character. While that's interesting, the truth I fear is that if you have your character take a more back seat approach and let others rattle sabers, then the game may falter. I know I'm not one for following the giant meta-plot just because I designed someone who isn't all that concerned.

That said, there are ways to make other characters more hooked in, or change the direction of play, but I feel a drastic change to the main leader of the party will not be a good thing for the health of the game, even if it makes total sense for the character.

Once the Hag Sons are defeated, Thael hasn't thought all that far ahead of that. She'd follow the course of trying to help Ulfric, but only because Hengis and to a lesser extent Svendr have convinced her that he is a better man than some faceless tool that currently claims it. If prodded she'd smirk and mention something about hunting down that dragon that flew overhead a few weeks ago. She also wouldn't mind looking into getting some of her equipment upgraded.

Oh, and she will not put her faith in an undead thing. She has no desire to participate in any gift or help from that one.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:25 pm

That's really interesting. I do see your point about making fundamental changes to Hengis' character and the effect that might have on the game. I have considered this myself and, while the Contemplative class does include in its fluff the idea of spiritual growth through meditation, it also leaves enough wiggle room for a variety of interpretations.

To be perfectly honest I can't see Hengis changing in any really fundamental way. I do intend to play a bit on that meditation thing, but beyond that he'll still be the same rather dogmatic and dynamic leader-figure pushing his agenda along in whatever way seems best at the time. The bigger changes that come with the class are so far off as to be not worth worrying about. He may choose to stop before taking any one of those steps.

So please don't be concerned about Hengis taking a back seat. That isn't going to happen. Having said that, I am quite open to the idea of sharing the spotlight and finding ways for others to step up when we're dealing with an issue that is important to them. Hence my suggestion for Qadir and the Hammerfell alliance. The Hag Sons is another, where Hengis will defer to Thaelestra as it's her thing, not his.

Regarding the more immediate details, I am inclined to agree that we should carry out at least a provisional check of the tunnels before going anywhere else, in case there are other surprises down there just waiting for the opportunity to come up and mess things up again. I understand Thael's aversion to the lich, and that's fine. He is going to be very useful in helping that upgrade you mention though, and it occurs to me that we might use the time it takes him to identify everything to do the tunnel expedition.

Once we're done with that we can have a massive loot share-out, leave the city under others' administration for a while, and head off to the mountains for the final confrontation with the Hag Raven.

What do you think about using the Wish to close the mountain passes all year, or something similar? Or do you want to have no part of that too because it came from Urdalf?

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:04 pm

An idea for you to consider and give feedback on...

I've mentioned the threat of the legions coming through the mountain passes to retake Falkreath, and the idea that we might use the Wish to hinder this in some way. Frankly, I can't see any other way to secure the passes short of our characters standing there guarding them, and that isn't going to make for a fun game. Anybody else we task with defending the passes is going to be vulnerable to the legion's magicians and other heavy hitters.

The notion I have hatched is to set things up so the passes defend themselves, while still allowing passage to normal travellers. The wording for the Wish is emerging as something like...

"I wish that for the rest of this year the weather conditions in the mountain passes between Falkreath Hold and Cyrodiil will respond to the number of creatures travelling through them, such that single creatures travelling alone will experience only normal seasonal weather conditions, but the more people travel together the worse the weather becomes, with storms for groups exceeding ten, blizzards for groups exceeding fifty, and avalanches and rockfalls besetting groups exceeding one hundred creatures."

Happy to hear any suggestions for improvements. :eh:

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Thaelestra wouldn't stop a plan Hengis has, so using the wish that way she wouldn't argue against. Asking the undead to enchant her items is a big hard no though. She'd also argue against leaving items to let it mess with, but she'd understand that the group probably wouldn't care all that much.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:02 am

Lord Foul wrote:
keithcurtis wrote:As for long term plans, Qadir has pretty much thrown in with this band and aims to see them through, so long as their goals continue to be in opposition to the Empire. Falkreath needs to be strong, so I think that getting rid of the Hag Sons is important. We need a strong countryside to keep up morale and production. The mountain passes definitely need some amount of control. Are there forts along them anywhere, do we know?

Have you considered the Hammerfell angle at all? I think it could be an interesting chapter or two in our story to head over there and help forge an alliance between our two independent nations. Who better to lead such a mission than Qadir? Obviously, this would be after we've secured Skyrim's independence under King Ulfric, so it's a way off yet. But it could be a great way for Qadir to take a more prominent role for a while.

I would prefer not to be the focal character. I realistically have trouble enough posting regularly; it wouldn't be fair to other players.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 am

keithcurtis wrote:I would prefer not to be the focal character. I realistically have trouble enough posting regularly; it wouldn't be fair to other players.

Okay, that's fair enough. I won't try to force it upon you. Just let us know if you ever feel your situation has changed enough that you would like a more prominent role. :thumbup:

goatunit

Postby goatunit » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:11 am

I expect to be freed back up on Monday, so expect to ramp back up then.

Return to “Play By Post”