Elder Scrolls (OOC)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Elder Scrolls (OOC)

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm

On page 258 goatunit wrote:And, as always, I apologize for my pace in posting. If it's any comfort, I really love this campaign and my slowness shouldn't be taken for lost interest. I'm also running this for my Sunday tabletop group (albeit not as an Elder Scrolls game) and it's really interesting comparing the approaches of the two parties. Looking forward to discussing that a bit once we wrap up this chapter.

Just quoting the bit above in case you have forgotten. I've been waiting 10 months to hear about how the other party went about this. :D
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:51 pm

Copied to the front page in case it got missed at the bottom of the last page...

Lord Foul wrote:As it's been a long scenario in real time, I thought it might be helpful to keep a log of the main things we've done since the last XP award. :D

I have a dream! ...and completely misinterpret it.
Move to the old priory and recruit some more people.
Bluff our way into the city past the gate guards.
Assassinate the officers in the manor house.
Battle at the inn: kill the Tesserarius and many others.
Talos joins the cause in a big way!
Secure the city around the Keep: minimal colateral damage.
Gain a new ally: a lich with a wish!
Assault on the Keep: kill the serpents and two warriors.
Demolition man! Bring down the tower, killing lots and ending the storm.
Svendr saves Kyle and pulls him from the wreckage.
Betrayal and confrontation with Boethiah.
Gain a sword and lose a faith.
Find and finish the evil dunmer.
Secure the Keep and free the city of Falkreath.

Have I missed anything? :eh:

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Tries to find the ingredients for Summon Goatunit II...

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Appollyon wrote:Tries to find the ingredients for Summon Goatunit II...

It appears he has quite a high spell resistance. He always manages to resist my Haste spells. ;)

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi folks

Well, it appears we're in a serious lull while goat deals with all kinds of real-life issues. Frustrating as it may be, nothing that goes on here matters in any way compared with people's real lives, so we're left with being as patient as we can manage and hoping that things pick up again and the whole thing doesn't come crashing down around us. I hope you'll all agree that would be the worst possible outcome.

So, I thought it might be nice to take this opportunity to have a chat about the way the campaign is going, where things are heading, and anything that we want to pursue on a personal level with our characters. Think of this as a sounding board, where we can throw ideas around and see how others react to them. Maybe help us to plan what kinds of things to prioritise in the next phase of the game, or later.

So, what do you want to do with your character, now that you're a folk hero? :eh:

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Since I introduced this idea, I might as well start things off...

Hengis has suffered a total and devastating loss of faith. He no longer follows Boethiah in any real "servant" kind of way. That's not to say he doesn't still have beliefs and ambitions that promote her cause; just that he's now doing it despite her rather than for her. He will need to navigate the road ahead taking account of this. Once he's got over his initial anger, he'll realise he isn't opposed to Boethiah, but their goals only align in certain places and not others. Ideally he'll figure out a way to continue without direct confrontation and resulting annihilation.

I'm going to take this opportunity to branch out a little and take on a prestige class to represent his change of direction and idealogy. He's going to become a Comtemplative, and this will manifest in him taking more direct responsibility for his actions and goals, and also becoming a little more distant and thoughtful in his demeanour. The ultimate end of the Contemplative path is to actually become an Outsider, and as he progresses he will gradually become less human and more of a supernatural being in his own right. This may well have certain implications for his mortal relationships.

Anyway, all that is a way off, and for the immediate future his priorities will be torn between securing Falkreath and making it safe from counter-attack by the Empire, and helping Thaelestra find and finish off the Hag Sons. I'll be quite open about this here; Hengis wants the job of Jarl of Falkreath. He's thinking quite seriously about asking Ulfric outright to grant it to him in satisfaction of his declaration when we gifted him the Jagged Crown. It would have been convenient if the old Jarl had died during the battle, but that doesn't appear to be on the cards. Perhaps Hengis will learn the Heal spell and manage to cure the old fool so he can rule adequately.

The main threat from the Empire seems to lie in the mountain passes, so we're going to need some way to guard them or close them. That might be a decent use for the Wish if we can word it properly.

The tunnels beneath the Keep need searching and clearing. They were called the Falmer tunnels so who knows what kinds of horrors lurk down there. That sounds like it could be another nice litle bit of dungeon delving for us. Main question is when and what other things take priority over that.

Our new ally the lich, Urdalf, is an awesome boon, as he seems to be capable, and willing, to identify our enormous pile of loot for us so we can finally do a proper share out. I'd really like to do that before we go and take on the Hag Sons, because that lot is going to make a big difference to our capabilities in the field, and from what we've seen so far we're going to need every edge we can get.

Okay, I think that's enough from me to be going on with. Over to you... :thumbup:

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:41 am

Hey, thanks for keeping it going, LF.

The ACLU trial has concluded, though it could be a month or more before the judge makes his verdict. Over the course of the trial a number of alarming things came to light about the extent of the spying and its use in chilling and retaliating against activists. For my part specifically (as one of many targets), the pre-trial discovery phase showed that detailed information about my general activism, direct actions, known associates, organizations (including controversial, politically divisive stuff), etc, were provided to both my wife's employer and my son's school, among others.

A lot of us have had strange encounters and occurrences over the past few years that these events have gotten us talking about and sharing notes on. I won't get into that any more than I already have since it's mostly crazy-making and such. I will say that during the trial, a fellow "black list" activist's 71-year-old grandmother's house was raided. She didn't know her rights or have anything to hide, so agreed to let them search the house without a warrant. They trashed the place. Smashed pictures and broke appliances and on and on. I believe the end result was arresting her nephew for failing to appear at a court date for a traffic violation four years ago. It was pretty obvious intimidation intended to scare other witnesses away from taking the stand. The prosecuting attorney left court to head to the scene and demand a warrant and all that. He was pulled over by a traffic cop, handcuffed, and kept in the back of a police car for over an hour before he was released on no charges. By then, the raid was over.

It's been insane and I can't believe how blatant they've been nor how hard it is to do anything about it. My own experiences have been relatively minor in terms of impact, but are ongoing and stressful. Evidence of infiltrators in my current and former organizations, CI's among my friends, etc... it makes you paranoid and suspicious. It's isolating.

Anyway, with the trial over, we're hoping things will settle down a little. Depends on how vindictive they want to be, I guess, and whether they have anything actionable that they want to make use of before a verdict in our favor forces them to discard it. So we'll see.

I hope I don't sound like a lunatic. There's lots of news coverage if anyone is interested, including a piece in the New York Times. I'm taking it easy for a bit, but will aim to start back up again in the next few days. Thanks guys.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Please post the link to the NYT piece. It sounds surreal. Hang in there.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:53 pm

As for long term plans, Qadir has pretty much thrown in with this band and aims to see them through, so long as their goals continue to be in opposition to the Empire. Falkreath needs to be strong, so I think that getting rid of the Hag Sons is important. We need a strong countryside to keep up morale and production. The mountain passes definitely need some amount of control. Are there forts along them anywhere, do we know?

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Bear in mind that the lawsuit is about police surveillance in violation of a consent decree, so that tends to be the emphasis of these stories.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/22/opin ... vists.html

Here is where two of A. Cathey's family's homes were raided while he was sitting at court. You'll note they deflect Hunter's accusation here because the warrant was for the other relative's home, which is a strange defense.

http://m.wmcactionnews5.com/story/38924 ... -drug-raid

https://wreg.com/2018/08/20/police-sear ... -activist/

Here's the lawyer being handcuffed and led away when they were stopped enroute.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1278203290

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/ ... 073087002/

Return to “Play By Post”