Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

Postby Appollyon » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:30 pm

Kor believes the pair can handle one drunk hot head., but just in case he pulls an arrow and touches it to bowstring. He lines up a shot mentally, but allows his allies to make the first move.

Clear Ix
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Clear Ix » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:09 am

Readying his sling as a backup tactic, Marlin looks around for some cover and shadows. He prays to Brandobaris that the man's ire is focused on Devia, thus giving him a chance to sneak around behind the sot and catch him unawares. Once he's away from Devia, he uses his talents in ventriloquism to throw the man off. He musters his inner constable and growls at the man, projecting his voice to come from slightly behind and to the side of the sailor, "Oy! You there! You know the penalty for disturbing the Queen's peace!"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:44 am

Kor nocks an arrow, but does not pull his bowstring back, watching to see how this plays out. He sees the drunk roar out of the bar and then Marlin flit off to the side. As Marlin predicted, the sailor is after Devia, not him, and ignores him in his rage. Marlin slips off behind him and then behind some crates near the bar that they came out of. Using his ventriloquism (roll of 3) he successfully mimics a constable's voice from behind the sailor.

The crowd on the porch is getting larger now and a few clap at Marlin's antics.

The sailor looks around briefly, then continues on his way toward Devia. She manages to keep her head, keeping distance between herself and the sailor while staying in the crossroads where Kor can keep watch over her.

Devia stops at the farthest point from the crowd and lets the man get closer. Marlin notices she has something in her hands and is intoning a spell. From a distance, it appears as though the man simply ran up to her and then collapsed into sleep when he arrived. She gently lowers him to the ground, as awkward as that weight is, dusts herself off, and returns to Marlin, bowing to the now cheering crowd. She looks up to where she thinks Kor is (she's not far off) and throws him a wink.

"OK, time to go. This has been a bust. Let's go see what Sterling and Arienne are up to. We'll have to try this again tomorrow night," she says to Marlin.

Assuming that Marlin has had enough as well, they head back to Sterling and Arienne, finding them in the dining room. Sterling looks up to see the pair enter, somewhat disheveled and dirty, but not appearing any the worse for wear.

Kor watches them all the way back and assures that they are not followed.

"We hit a bit of a snag," Devia says as she takes a long draw off of Sterling's beer. "You two been having fun?"
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:27 pm

"Yes, we've had a fine time," replies Sterling, gesturing to a serving girl to bring another round of drinks for the new arrivals.

He makes small talk in his cover role until the drinks are delivered and paid for, then he lowers his voice once they are not likely to be overheard.

"There's been some interesting business going on here. A well dressed gentleman (he'll discreetly point him out if he's still around) has been plying his trade all evening, selling small vials of something to the local gentry. Most have just turned up, bought the stuff and then left, but some have taken rooms here and retired to indulge themselves. We've not seen the effects of the stuff, but I'll wager he's one of the drug dealers, and an up-market one at that."

"How do you want to play this?" :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Appollyon

Postby Appollyon » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:00 pm

"Might be worth the time to see what this thing does." Kor keeps his hood up on his cloak as he sits a table away, slightly turning his head. Trusting Devia and Marlin at least will pick up on what he said.

Kor slowly gazes out over the crowd, trying to subtly get a look at the guy. "I think I'll shadow our new friend after he's had his fill."

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:17 am

"Thank you for the drink, m'lord!" Devia says in her best drunken voice.

As the music and chatter is loud, Sterling has no problems covering his speech. Devia looks the dealer discreetly. "Maybe we've been playing this wrong. We didn't see anything other than alcohol and greenleaf at the docks. This may be a drug for the wealthy." She looks around the more upscale tavern. "Maybe Marlin can go buy some and then we can follow him back to his supplier. If we both buy, he'll know what we look like, and I think that Marlin is better and hiding and attracting less attention than myself, so he'd be ideal for the buy. Between Kor and us, I think we can keep him covered until we find out where his supplier is."

Devia tips her head up to Kor's suggestion. "Right. If we see what effects this thing has, we can mimic it with our weird potions from the tree guy. After Marlin makes the buy, we can follow a client up to the room while you all keep an eye on the dealer. Kor can follow if he goes outside and we will let you and Arienne know where we are so you can come get us if he leaves," Devia finishes. She looks to Kor to see that he heard what she said.

Kor carefully looks around and gets a good look at the dealer. He is a thin, young man with reddish hair and an unusual bowl cut. He has a long nose and wears almost ridiculous foppish garb, a nobleman's suit in dark red, complete with decorated shoulders, a golden cord across his chest, and a round floppy hat. The multiple layers of his suit and the undershirts are more than just show, however, as it appears they allow him to hide his glass vials in his pockets. He has a small but reasonable purse on his belt, but Kor notes that the money he earns from exchanges is actually secreted away in a pocket near his chest. Kor suspects he will either retire for the night or run out of product at some point and be forced to retreat.

As he sits in thought, the server comes up. "Would you like some drink?" she asks.

Appollyon

Postby Appollyon » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:01 pm

Kor stands, "No, I was waiting for a friend but he hasn't made it here yet. I think I need to head out and try to retrace his steps."

He gives the woman a brief nod before heading outside, finding a good spot from which to shadow his quarry once the man with the drugs leaves.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:07 am

The waitress shrugs and wipes the table off with a rag as Kor leaves. Kor takes in a breath of the night air, feeling free of the confines of the bar. He looks around, then heads down an alley and deftly climbs up onto the roof of the inn. He finds a nice perch where he can observe the entire street and still follow along the rooftops, then settles in to wait, drawing his cloak about him to keep warm and to stay inconspicuous.

Devia looks to Marlin. "Ready to make the buy?"

Clear Ix
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Clear Ix » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm

"I am!" :D
Marlin takes a moment to discretely make himself look as posh as he can muster, readies various amounts of coin to pass to the foppish ginger, finds an unobtrusive spot near enough to hear what one might say to the man, and then waits a few moments to watch surreptitiously as the next customer makes their purchase so he knows the proper etiquette.
(Assuming this happens . . .) Marlin watches the buy, then confidently strides to the dealer and attempts to make a purchase.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Marlin listens for a minute, and one of the patrons asks the dealer for something in Islander that Marlin can't understand. The man hands him a stoppered glass vial and appears to take 5 silver for the transaction. Marlin heads back to the table, letting the group know he can't speak Islander.

"You have your spell key, right?" Devia asks. Marlin tells her he does. She takes him into the corner, away from prying eyes and casts a spell on him. He immediately begins to understand all the conversations around the area. "That's tongues. It won't last terribly long, but you can understand him and he you as long as you have your spell key."

Marlin waits a minute, then saunters forward with his best foppish look and asks the dealer for a bottle of fairy dust. The dealer looks down at Marlin and holds out his hand. "Coin first," he says. Marlin hands him 5 silver and the man deftly swaps coin for bottle. It appears his hidden pocket is getting heavy so Marlin suspects he will be headed back to get more drugs soon.

Marlin heads back to the table with his illicit drugs.

"Phase 2," Devia says. "I'll trail the next buyer up to his room and Marlin can follow me. You two keep an eye out down here, and we'll relate back what's going on."

She waits for the next buyer to make his purchase, then follows him, with Marlin following her. A few minutes later, Marlin comes back down, letting everyone know that the man is smoking drugs in the common room upstairs. He disappears and then he and Devia come back down after about 20 minutes.

"That drug is boring," Devia comments. "Now I know what I've seen before in some of the expensive flop houses in Torander's Bluff. These guys mostly go to sleep, and the guy upstairs isn't much different. He's kind of out of it. I've seen these people when they come down, though, and they are sweaty and crazy trying to score more if they need a fix badly. I think we can mimic that with our weird concoctions."

No sooner does she say this than the drug dealer heads out the door of the establishment.

"OK, let's go!" Devia says. "Let's take turns following him so he doesn't get suspicious!" She throws some coin on the table for her drink and heads out quickly.

Kor, waiting above, notices the dealer exit the building. He follows along the rooftop and watches Devia exit not far behind.

Return to “Play By Post”