Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Re: Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

Postby Appollyon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Making sure the guard is out of earshot, Kor leans in.

"Or maybe that's the polite way of saying 'no thank you' to a meeting request." Kor shrugs,"Still, we could ask the Seneschal about it casually."

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:54 am

The guard sees you to the seneschal, who receives you in a square tower room. He is busy sealing a scroll when you enter. After stamping it and letting the wax dry, he looks up and greets you.

“Welcome to the royal palace. May I help you?” He asks without getting up. He doesn’t seem rude, just rather busy. He also doesn’t strike you as a typical seneschal. Most wear frilly clothing and have a pompous demeanor in your experience. This one seems more like a soldier or farmer who has been made to wear nice (but not frilly) clothing and forced to practice niceties and formalities that he probably finds annoying.
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:53 am

Is he the same man Sterling met on his last visit or a different one?
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:12 am

It appears to be the same gentleman.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 am

Sterling takes a step forward.

"Good day, Commander McAllister," he says. "I don't know if you will remember me. Sterling Blackthorn. I was here a few weeks back asking about laws and customs in the Isles." :)

"Well, I'm back now and have brought my betrothed, Arienne, and my brother Korhithril with me this time. We're looking to settle here and we're thinking of establishing an inn, or something similar, in the elven tradition. Maybe build it up to become a resort where folk can come to spend some time surrounded by nature and music and all the finer things in life."

"We've been looking around for a suitable place. We have the funds to invest and develop the place, taking account of all you've told me about the regulations on building, but to be honest we're having little success in finding anywhere that suits. Most places are either too close to the coast, and the risk of attack by sea creatures, or inland but with limited scope for development and growth. The one place we've found so far that is crying out for redevelopment is owned by an old woman who wants to charge ten times the going rate for the place, and is... somewhat unreasonable to negotiate with." :problem:

"Frankly, Commander, I'm at a loss and so I wondered if there is anything you could advise, or do, to help us locate and purchase the ideal place for an elven-style resort on the island." :)

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:55 am

The commander stands up and offers Sterling a standard warrior's salute, and then does to Kor as well.

"Ah yes, I remember you now, Mr. Blackthorn. Hard to forget one of your stature!" He smiles, then walks around his desk and grabs a bottle. "Drink?" he offers the three of you. He pours for those who want it. It appears to be some sort of fruit-flavored hard liquor that you've never had before, presumably from the Isles.

"I'm certainly no expert in the ways of business or innkeeping, but I have lived on the Isles my whole life, so I can tell you about the area." He hands you your drinks and offers you chairs while he sits on the front of his desk.

"There are a lot of islands in the country, so you have your pick. If you want a more elven feel to them, there are less developed islands that have a more natural feel. If you want to stick with Eagle Isle, I would suggest Eleri on our west coast. It's more pristine and yet still has some shipping traffic."

He takes a sip of his drink and then sets it on his desk. "As for the sea creatures, well, they are problematic with any coastal town. The large cities, like Torander's Bluff, have a regular militia, so the sea devils have learned to avoid them. Even Wendis has enough guard that they don't strike there often. If they are your biggest concern, you might look at it as an opportunity to lend your military skills to the town in helping them build up their defenses. Many of the able bodied warriors were lost in our recent civil war, so there is a dearth of skill in defense at the moment."

"As for pricing, I'm afraid I can't help with that. People will ask what they will, and it's up to you to find a good bargain or at least what you're willing to pay."

"Don't know if any of that helps, but I hope you find what you're looking for. Did you need anything more specific?"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Seeing no answer to his question, Commander McAllister continues. "We could use help fighting the sea devils in many of our communities along the coast and it might be a great opportunity for you to engage with the locals. They can be somewhat reluctant with outsiders at first, but you may find some more spaces for sale once you get to know folk. The local communities generally pay for such work, although I think we could find some coin to help out with that from the royal treasury."

"A much larger problem is our drug trade. The queen refuses to destroy any plants because of her calling, but it has led to problems with hallucinogenic plants. During the civil war, Hild had funded plantations of these various poppies and hemp-like plants, both of which have flourished here in the Isles. The trade from these plants funded the Hildean-backed civil war that arose and we are still trying to root out all the plantations of these things and remove all the drug traffickers. The queen is perfectly fine with harvesting plants responsibly, and also happy to transplant these, but trying to find all the plantations is difficult since the growers tend to move around season to season and disguise their plantation in the middle of other planted goods. The royal treasury will fund you and your group to discover the last of these plantations, arrest, deport or kill the traffickers, and report the location so that our troops can dig up the plants. For an extra fee, we will pay you to smuggle the uprooted plants back into Hild where a contingent of our troops will plant them so that we are not angering our Queen and not destroying the way of life of innocent communities by plaguing them with drugs."

He pauses a moment to let it all sink in. "What say ye? Any interest in this work?"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:13 am

Sterling listens intently and considers the man's words before replying. :think:

"The problems you describe sound to me like the very things our group is designed to deal with. We had hoped to establish a base of operations before getting started, but hearing you speak of the drug problem has given me an idea. We could accept your commission right now, and begin finding and rooting out the drug dealers and their plantations. In so doing, that would give us the chance to explore the islands more thoroughly and locate the ideal place for us to settle. Who knows, maybe some of the criminals we deal with will leave properties that might be taken over and put to better use."

He looks to Kor for his opinion, before turning to Arienne.

"Arienne, this isn't what you had in mind, I'm sure. I would not place you in any greater danger than you are willing to take on. If you wish, we can find a safe place for you to stay... assuming there is one once we begin angering the local drug dealers. :problem: But it may be the safest place for you is right by my side, and if you prefer to be a part of this investigation I'll not try to prevent it. :think: Or you could take ship back to Vemar and await my return there."

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:53 am

Kor pauses as he weighs the options. "If the goal is to carve out a life here on the isles, it would do no good to have such a trade continue to operate. I have no problems making enemies, but..." his eyes drifted to Arienne.

"Tis best deal with it now instead of ignoring it and it being worse later when you have your establishment."

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:12 pm

Commander McAllister listens to both of you. "It is well that you consider this carefully. I am sure that you are more than capable of handling what is thrown at you, but we have rooted out most of the easy traffickers. The ones left are the better funded and organized, and we have found that Hild had financially backed several of these. The Hildean navy used to protect the smugglers, but now that they are gone, we have been able to cut back on all but the more powerful drug groups. There's quite a bit of island-to-island smuggling on the seas, and they have managed to find ways around the usually impassible reefs, or creatively navigate the narrow mazes there to allow for undetected movement."

"The queen has offered a reward of 5,000 gold or the choice between several plots of land to the person who can bring proof of the destruction of one of the organizations. Although not very clear, I would take the proof of the demise of one of these organizations to be their leader in chains or dead, their financial books, or the capture of an enormous amount of poppies and hemp plants in fields. Subsequent transplantation of such flora would be rewarded with a further 1,000 gold pieces."

"You'd be more than welcome to begin at once, explore a little, sail about the isles as you please, and hopefully find a place to settle after expelling the unwanted ruffians from their places."

Arienne listens intently, and waits for everyone else to get done speaking, then turns to Sterling.

"I never had any expectation of you leaving your life of adventure for me," Arienne says. "I think that you are born to travel and fight for what's right. I am happy to run an inn that you can come back to and enjoy when not off fighting the worst of the world. On the other hand, you needn't worry about me. I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself, and I'm quite sure I can learn a few things from your friend Devia," she says, much to your chagrin. "I am also very interested in coming with you and seeing the rest of the isles as you destroy the rest of the drug trade here. I would like to see you work and see the truth of the less pleasant things here. All in all, this place seems very nice, and there are probably fewer things to worry about here than in Vemar."

Return to “Play By Post”