Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 am

Once outside with the others, Sterling scratches his head. :eh:

"Well, I'm sorry about this. When we were here before everybody was so friendly and welcoming, but it feels like everyone we meet now is crazy or hostile or both."

To Arienne, he adds:

"I hope this isn't putting you off the place. Let's have a look around this area anyway. I think it has so much potential. If we wanted to we could buy up several sites and really make this part of town into a proper elven-style community." :)
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:27 pm

"Don't get me wrong," Devia notes, "The lady was crazy, but you did just walk into the last two inns and ask the owner why the area and/or inn was so run down, and this one you asked why her place was so expensive. That is kind of insulting."

Devia seems none the worse for wear by any of this (not that you'd really expect her to be insulted by much of anything).

"Back to the inn nearest the castle?" she asks.
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:42 pm

"I'm only being honest with them. If they can't admit the reality of things how can we deal with them?" :eh:

To Devia's suggestion of moving on again without even looking around...

"No, we should take the time to look around the area first. I think it has a lot going for it and I want you all to see for yourselves so we can discuss things later."

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 pm

"Well, if I ask you if my dress makes me look fat... lie," Devia laughs. "As for the area, let's have a good look around. This area is gorgeous. We can also head to the western area of the isle and see what's over there. I heard there is a large waterfall."

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:21 pm

"Sounds good," agrees Sterling

"and Devia, that dress... it really does make you look fat." ;)

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:38 pm

Devia gives Sterling the stink eye. "Watch it bub."

Looking around the area, which is on the northwest side of town, there are a few small streams and pools, plus some nice wooded areas. Not the huge forests elsewhere on the isle, but nice nevertheless. Arienne enjoys the area for the most part.

She stands and looks out over the town, which is rather close. "I've always lived in a city. It's all right, but the more bucolic life is where I have always envisioned myself. I don't want to be too far from the coast, but nothing on this island really is. I'm OK with the attacks of the sea creatures, but I kind of like the idea of living farther up the hill." She looks to Sterling. "Can we head back up to the inn where we plan to spend the night? I would like to see more of it."

It is now late afternoon.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:38 am

Sterling replies to Devia's look:

"What? You told me to lie. I was just practising." :)

He is quiet for much of the time looking around the area, and again for the journey back to the village inn.

When they are all seated around the table having dinner, he asks each of his friends to give their view of the places they've seen and any kind of preference they have formed.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:29 pm

Kor looks across the table at Sterling, "I wouldn't go off my preference. You are inviting people to come bother you and spend their money, where as I would not look to attract people. I'd make a poor host."

Kor holds up a hand preemptively, "Still, my opinion would be for the one with the better view. The one with the waterfall. Less traffic, but no Fishmen or drug barns to contend with. Maybe make it more resort destination, a get away."

Kor smirks, "Take that for what it's worth."

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:05 pm

Devia responds. "Of the three places we've looked at, I like them all for different reasons. The one near the docks is the easiest moneymaker, even if it is a bit more dangerous because of the fish men. There's certainly the most traffic. That place on the north edge of town with the crazy old lady is gorgeous and easy to supply since it's on the edge of town, but it's way too expensive and requires too many repairs. The place halfway up the hill toward the castle is very nice, probably affordable, but doesn't have the same traffic. Most of the traffic probably goes up the western road to the castle, so it's lower traffic. Not to say it couldn't turn a profit, but it might be more farming from the orchards or making hard ciders."

"We have mostly stuck around Wendis The port city on the southern end of the island where you landed and haven't seen Eleri." Eleri is a port city on the western side of the isle, but due to the many reefs, has a different shipping lane that connects with other isles, not the outside world.. "The locals say that there's a huge waterfall near there. They named the forest 'Waterfall Forest' near there, and it's got the largest river on the island, so it might be worth checking out. It won't have direct international cargo, but it and the northern port of Kordula will have a lot of inter-island traffic."

"What are your goals for buying this place?" she asks Sterling and Arienne. "Do you want to make a lot of money, be more of a specialized place that caters to rich clientele and builds a reputation, or are you looking for more of something just to get by and rely more on production of ales, hard ciders, apple sales and so forth? I think that will help you determine where you want to go."

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:06 am

Sterling considers the questions, looking often at Arienne as he frames his thoughts before answering. :think:

"For me it's more about having a beautiful home to live in than about the money. My dream has been to build a community in the elven style, centred around the inn, with music and laughter and nature all around and within. If that should become a kind of resort that attracts wealthy customers wanting to get away from it all, then I'd not be averse. But here we have to contend with the building regulations, so for that kind of dream to become a reality we'd need to find a place that is already developed, but which we can buy up cheaply and redevelop in the way we want."

"That is why I really like the place on the north edge of town. It should be perfect for what I had in mind, but if the current owner is going to be so unreasonable it's not looking like we have any chance there."

"Like Arienne, I prefer a more rural setting to a place in the city, so I think we are agreed that the first place we saw is not going to be the one, nor anything like it. That helps to rule out a lot of options."

"This place is a beautiful setting. I'm just a little unsure about the potential here for us to make changes and develop the place. Those building regulations might hurt us here. So, for me the decision here would be whether to change my overall plan and accept something a little less ambitious, and of course that isn't my decision alone." He gives Arienne a smile. :)

"I think it would be good to see the rest of the island before we make any firm decision. The other places Devia describes sound interesting, and we might just stumble across a place that is just perfect in every way. We might as well take a look. It's not like we're in so great a hurry we need to decide everything right now."

He turns to Arienne. "What do you think, my love?" :)

Return to “Play By Post”