Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Re: Ashen Shores (IC Thread)

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:33 am

"How about we visit the pretty little village near the wood; the one with the orchards? That'll give us a nice contrast with this place, and we can spend some time looking around the countryside nearby to see what other surprises this place has."

Looking around the inn they have spent the night in, Sterling is generally unimpressed. :think:

"This place is okay, but I really prefer something a bit more... bucolic?" :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 am

"I believe I will like the 2nd place more myself. Less settled, more ability to get lost without being out of earshot." Kor adds as he cinches up his quiver.

"Just a hunch." Kor nods as he heads towards the door, pausing for a moment. "Will we be wanting horses or are we content to walk?"

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:40 am

"I think we'll be fine on foot," answers Sterling. "It isn't far and we'll be able to go and explore anything that looks interesting if we want to."

"This place we're heading for is really pretty, and far enough from the coast to be safe from the sea devils. It's also quite handy for connections as it's off the road that leads to the Royal Palace. I reckon it's worth serious consideration."

"The thing I'm undecided about is whether to settle in a place that requires little work, like this one we're going to today, or one that has huge potential but will mean a lot of work to get it up and running. There's one like that we can visit tomorrow. I'd like to hear your views on that once we've seen them both." :eh:
Last edited by Lord Foul on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Everyone heads out, carefree and enjoying the weather, which is slightly warm from the sunlight. Arriving at the second site, you note that the dew is just beginning to evaporate in the late morning, evidencing the reason for the mildew on the structure. This second inn's location seems much slower in traffic, with a lazy, just now waking feel to it. You can hear the birds singing, and the townsfolk seem to just be going about their business. The so-called 'green leaf inn' lies directly on the road on the northeastern edge of the village, on the highest side of the mountain road, closest to the royal castle. The town well stands just a few paces off the back corner of the property. Looking around the side, the stables is a separate building and in rather shabby shape. The inn itself is in somewhat better shape, but still looks like it will require some repairs of the thatched roof and some replacement of wooden boards and plaster siding. It is still a pretty little establishment, and has an orchard around the back.

Entering, there are a few patrons who are sitting around the bar area drinking and an old mutt who scurries up to you wagging its tail. An elderly gentleman with bushy white hair and beard looks up from a book, and comes over to greet you.

"Welcome to the green leaf inn travelers!" he says. "Can I offer you a drink or some food, perhaps a room?"
Last edited by Larenil on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:15 pm

"Good day to you, sir," replies Sterling. "Yes, some drinks would be most welcome, and something to eat for lunch would be nice too, I think." :)

He looks around the barroom, sizing up the place and its general state of repair. :think:

"You don't seem to be very busy. Is that normal for the time of year or are we just in a lull after all the Hildean trouble? This seems like a nice peaceful area, but I see the buildings are a bit run-down and in need of repair."

After hearing the man's answer, Sterling adds:

"I meant no offence, sir. I may have spoken out of turn and for that I apologise."

"I think we'll spend the rest of the day getting a better look around the village and surrounding area. We're looking to set up here in the Isles and seeking a place with the potential for investment and growth to settle in. We'll take rooms for the night if you have any going. Then we can see what its like here in the evening, and get to talk with some of the locals too."
Last edited by Lord Foul on Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:25 pm

"I actually like it a bit more quiet." Kor says to Devia as he looks around the inn. "Still, makes sense to have more traffic if you want more profit." With that the elf moves over to the barkeep.

"We found out that closer to the water they have to deal with fishmen raids. Any problems like that arise down this way? Just trying to get an understanding before anyone goes and puts down roots."

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:24 am

The innkeep smiles, and brings everyone a round of some rather fine hard apple cider. "From our trees in the back," he says proudly. The cider has a nice tart bite and a good finish. For the group, he brings some large platters to share, and you all get some roast mutton, potatoes, sheep cheese, apples, sausage of some unknown animal, and a mixture of fish. The food is all quite excellent.

As you eat, Sterling sizes up the place. Though the roof needs a little work and there is some superficial plaster repair on the outside, he suspects that the innkeep is just getting too old to keep up some of the more demanding repairs. The inside is quite clean and cozy, and it looks like it is well cared for.

Sterling asks the innkeep about the business and the area. He seems a little offended at the area being considered 'run down', but answers anyway. "Traffic around here isn't like it is down at the wharf. That's all right, not nearly as rough with fewer sailors. I wouldn't say anything here is run down at all, sir," he looks at Sterling. "Sure, things may not be polished, but this place is in sound shape and folk 'round here take good care of their things." He waves a hand at Sterling's clothes. "We may not have fancy clothes and armor like traveling folk, but we do quite all right for ourselves. During festivals and traffic to and from the castle, we do quite well."

"I do have rooms available, if you think that the accommodations are not beneath your tastes," he adds wryly, looking at Sterling to gauge his reaction.

Kor, meanwhile, asks about the fishmen. "No problem with that around here," the innkeep answers. "We're too far up the hill. I've run this place for 30 years and never had any of them up this far."

The patrons seem mostly like locals, sticking to their own cliques for conversation, and keep an eye on your party.

"Well, this place seems like a nice one to retire to," says Devia once the innkeep leaves the table. "My vote would be to live in a city with fish people and bar fights, but this is your place," she says to Arienne and Sterling.

Arienne smiles. "I really like this place. Out of the way, yet on the road, the orchard is nice... we should still see the other location, but I do like it here. Lots we can do if we wanted."

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:43 am

"I like it too," agrees Sterling. "I think it's one of the best I've seen so far. Being away from any danger from the sea devils is a big plus in my opinion, even if it is likely to be a bit dull for Devia's taste." :)

"Why don't we finish lunch and take a look around the surrounding countryside. I'd like to get a better feel for the area, and what else is nearby."

As well as the countryside, Sterling will discreetly appraise the rest of the village too. If they want to establish an inn here he also wants to judge the potential of the rest of the village for growth, redevelopment and as a home for their friends. From what he saw earlier the other serious contender has loads of development potential. He wants to assess how this place compares on that front, bearing in mind the Isles' construction by-laws.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:44 pm

The innkeep seems to take Sterling's apology well and his friendly demeanor returns.

Looking around the village, Sterling sees some well-kept houses. None seem particularly ripe for the taking until he gets to the far end of town, on the leeward side of the slope headed down to the coast. One smaller size barn there is somewhat dilapidated. It appears to be boarded up. It sits away from most of the houses and looks like it used to belong to a house that is no longer there. It is not obvious what property it sits on. Looking around, there are fields surrounding it, and not far away, the forest begins. It seems rather out of place in the rest of the town. As he sits contemplating, Sterling thinks he hears something coming from the tall grass near the edge of the barn.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:08 pm

Hearing a strange sound coming from the tall grass, Sterling cautiously approaches to investigate. He won't draw a weapon, as he isn't expecting any kind of threat in a place like this.

:think:

Return to “Play By Post”