Ashen Shores (OOC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Clear Ix
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Re: Ashen Shores (OOC Thread)

Postby Clear Ix » Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 am

Hey there everyone!
I'm game to keep going!
That said, I'll fill you in on my approach to this story line: I was a latecomer to this game so I've seen Marlin as still trying to find his place in the party and as not wanting to steer things too much since Iygus and Sterling have been more of the leaders. As a player, with a character like Marlin, I tend to be a bit cagier when entering into new areas so I go for the "tricksy little hobbiteses" approach. Unfortunately for player interaction purposes, that means Marlin spends a lot of time sneaktheifing around.
Marlin is interested in adventure and being a cheeky, sneaky little rogue--hence why he gets on so well with Devia, they're kindred spirits.

For current play:
Foul, I just looked over my recent IC posts and I realize I wasn't quite clear enough. I made the assumption of a group conversation so I did not explicitly state I was talking to everyone. I did, however, make specific reference to Devia. Let me clarify here and I can edit my previous post, I'm trying to engage the entire group--minus the shaman.
Also, Marlin is devoted to a trickster god. We could stage some shenanigans with Marlin getting into the sham-shaman biz with our new pal and bowl over a flock of Hildeans along the way.

For future play:
If we're looking to revamp the action to something more Kor & Sterling suited, I'm happy to have Marlin go with the flow. He's up for adventure and so am I. I'll make sure Marlin asserts himself more in decision making.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 am

Well, it sounds like we feel it's worth giving it another go, but with some changes. I like Larenil's suggestion that we say goodbye to Iygus, Larik and Brald and they head off to pursue the goal of becoming a Seldarian Lord. That would leave a nice group of four: Sterling, Kor, Marlin and Devia. I think that could work really well.

So, how about we let Larenil write a wrap-up to the current plot, we close down the mine operation and split the gems (8 ways, including the shaman)? 10k each is a nice way to start up whatever we want to do next.

On that, I'm happy to consider anything the others want. One idea I kinda like is for the four of us to wander a bit as a band of adventurers in the more traditional sense, as a way to bond a bit more in the new group. Or we could set up with a base in an area where we already have 'family ties' (Emerald and Arienne) and take commissions as jobbing troubleshooters.

What kind of set-up works best for you guys?
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Fri May 10, 2019 3:24 pm

It is a little funny, as I have other players that I run live when I'm in town with them, and in game time, they are slightly ahead of this group (although this group has been catching up over the years since I don't play live nearly as much anymore). That being said, App, I think you'll really like what's going to happen in game time soon, as it very much is a sea-change in the tone of the campaign. Without revealing too much, it's obvious already from the clues that you've picked up on in game that the tide is turning against Hild and that the Hildean regime is not long for the world. That alone will dramatically change the climate and tone of the world, as Hild has been an aggressor and oppressor in the campaign world for years.

So, let me catch up this weekend on putting the in-game time stamps on things and see where we're at in game time with respect to the earth changing event. I will then write up the little ending we can play out to the mines we're in (and please forgive if Devia is too heavy handed with her suggestions or if I make too many assumptions). That will move us along, and I will write up the exit of Iygus, Brald, Larik head off. If Goat comes back at some point, then great, he can jump in (or Gordon Goblin for that matter).

As for what you all want to do, just let me know, as the world will be open to do what you want with your new money. Generic adventurers for hire, hunting down the fleeing remnants of the Hildeans, exploring new countries, seafaring adventures, more of a homelife with Emerald and Arienne... whatever you want, think about it and let me know so we can make this something more appealing with a better dynamic between characters.
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sat May 25, 2019 6:52 pm

Sorry this has taken so long. My whole household got sick and I then somehow lost all my timekeeping notes so I had to redo them. In any case, we are at March 22, 3150 in game time (that doesn't mean much to you yet, but it will eventually).

Some specific questions:

• Do you want Emerald back as an NPC?
• Where do you see yourself being based out of? Seldar? Elsewhere?
• Do you see yourselves as adventurers for hire in a generic sort of D&D world, or something else?

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun May 26, 2019 4:37 am

• Do you want Emerald back as an NPC?

I'll leave this one for App to decide. I'm happy either way.

Seldar could work nicely if we aim to maintain our relationships with others without uprooting them. I'm unsure of the distance between Vedar and Mirous, but it didn't seem to be very far. If neither Emerald nor Arienne are interested in moving away from their current locations, we'll pretty much have to base ourselves around those two places.

However, if either or both of the girls are willing to relocate to be with us, then we could set up pretty much anywhere we fancy. Sterling was particularly impressed with the Isles and the whole way of life there, and would likely suggest that as a place to settle longer-term.

• Do you see yourselves as adventurers for hire in a generic sort of D&D world, or something else?

I quite like the idea of that. Something episodic with a background of home life would suit me. Happy to adapt to others' wishes too, of course.

Clear Ix
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Clear Ix » Tue May 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Emerald as NPC: I'm with Foul, let App decide

Base: Seldar is good--especially if Foul and App want more time with their ladies. Granted, Marlin is in it for the adventure, so he's happy wherever. Getting out of Hild will dampen the anti-human vibe and make for a more enjoyable world for App and Marlin.

Game style: Hack & slash is kinda fun, but I only really enjoy it if there's a larger plot. If others want shorter story arcs, that's fine, but pure dungeon crawling isn't as much fun without a decent story to go along with it.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Lord Foul wrote:• Do you want Emerald back as an NPC?

I'll leave this one for App to decide. I'm happy either way.

I'll wait for App, since you and ClearIx seem to want to let him decide. App, you may be interested to read the statement below on location before you decide, however.

Seldar could work nicely if we aim to maintain our relationships with others without uprooting them. I'm unsure of the distance between Vedar and Mirous, but it didn't seem to be very far. If neither Emerald nor Arienne are interested in moving away from their current locations, we'll pretty much have to base ourselves around those two places.

However, if either or both of the girls are willing to relocate to be with us, then we could set up pretty much anywhere we fancy. Sterling was particularly impressed with the Isles and the whole way of life there, and would likely suggest that as a place to settle longer-term.

I'm pretty flexible with this, and am happy to have Emerald be summoned to work with the Grand Druid (based on the Isles) or be reassigned to work as a roaming druid across the continent if you'd prefer. As for Arienne, she could be willing to relocate as well, so the area is wide open to what you think may be interesting. I'm happy to answer questions that you may have on different areas as well.

Lord Foul: I quite like the idea of that. Something episodic with a background of home life would suit me. Happy to adapt to others' wishes too, of course.

Clear Ix: Hack & slash is kinda fun, but I only really enjoy it if there's a larger plot. If others want shorter story arcs, that's fine, but pure dungeon crawling isn't as much fun without a decent story to go along with it.

I think we can shift the tone away from a politics-heavy story to something more like a shorter story arc adventurer for hire (or something like that) with a home base background politics (i.e., you live in Seldar or the Isles or wherever, so you're aware of the goings on there, but not really the country-wide politics as they relate to other nations unless they affect you directly, and can be hired out or sent on missions wherever you may be needed.) Hopefully that will dial back the large story arc that people are not fond of and yet not be a dungeon crawl without greater purpose to the world at large.

Also, the campaign is now at mid-April.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:48 am

Just updated my character sheet to add the money from the gem share, and I noticed that we haven't had any experience points since returning Samuvae to the Elflands. Quite a bit has happened since then. Any chance you can bring things up to date so we know where we are in relation to the next level?

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:45 pm

Sorry for not replying on this, as I'm a bit torn on the Emerald subject. I'll think on it some more. That said, roaming the isles sounds fun and I'm on board, though it will sound like Kor is soul searching a bit.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:52 pm

Appollyon wrote:Sorry for not replying on this, as I'm a bit torn on the Emerald subject. I'll think on it some more. That said, roaming the isles sounds fun and I'm on board, though it will sound like Kor is soul searching a bit.

That should work well. I wanted to take you and Marlin to the Isles so you'll know what I'm on about when I push to settle there as our future base. It's a magical place! ;)

Return to “Play By Post”