Ashen Shores (OOC Thread)

A place for our members to run games on the board. No LARPing!
Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Re: Ashen Shores (OOC Thread)

Postby Larenil » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:02 pm

Are you looking for something in particular from me? It's not clear to me what Sterling wants.
Let's go do whatever was the last thing that Morlan thought was a bad idea.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:20 pm

It's been 8 months real time and all we've done is wander the island finding nothing that suits our needs (except the one place that was perfect but you scuppered by having the owner mad and wanting ten times the going rate) and nothing else happening to generate any kind of interest or engagement. All I want at this point is a way out of this stagnation so we can maybe get back to a game of some kind.

I tried the royal castle in the hope that you'd find a way to use that to facilitate a solution. It doesn't look like that's going to happen so I'm just about out of ideas for ways to keep this thing going.

Basically, it's now somebody else's job to get us a way out of this. I'm about done here.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:41 pm

I was hoping to give you an opportunity to pull on some threads, but perhaps they've been too subtle. They are:

• There is a recurrent problem with the sea devils that the local community could use help with. This is an opportunity for the group to help the town build some defenses and organize against them. Something like this could help build good will with the populace.

• There is a drug problem in the Isles. I thought that perhaps you all would take some interest in it, as there is a much larger story there, but that was largely ignored as well.

• There are multiple Isles to explore if you want to see any of these, but these were also largely ignored.

I feel like I am handing over opportunities to be explored, but they are largely ignored. Perhaps that is my fault for not being obvious enough. If you want to just go hack and slash, we can do that too, although I thought I'd present an opportunity for that with the sea devils and that seems to have been passed by.

I'll make the hook very obvious from the seneschal and let it go for a week. If by that time no one has replied because there is still no interest, I will summarize a story and then move everyone back into action.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:51 am

Okay, thanks for that. I have to admit my personal frustration was driving me close to the point of giving up on the whole thing. It's hard work playing what amounts to a solo game, but I also have some sympathy for the other players as we've been largely pursuing my own character's personal objective this year.

We definitely missed the hooks you dangled, or probably fairer to say we didn't recognise them as leading anywhere fruitful. The way they came across to me at least felt like things being signposted, but then snatched away before we could do anything meaningful with them. To help you understand this better, I'll briefly describe the way these events felt from this side of the screen.

The sea devil attack looked like some exciting action was happening, but by the time Sterling had got his armour on it was all over and we had no part to play in the defense. That was a disappointment and felt like we were being shown stuff but not allowed to touch.

The drug situation again looked like something interesting going on to get involved in, but our initial attempts to find out more provided no leads to follow. Here we did misinterpret the signs, as it seemed we were being encouraged not to pursue this.

Then we went to the pretty waterfall and nothing at all happened. By this stage it felt like we were really just tourists and the frustration was getting serious. The prospect of touring lots of other islands and finding nothing happening was not particularly inviting (even if based on incorrect assumptions).

My expectation was that we would deal with the real estate issue in short order, then fast forward through all the details, sea voyages, Sterling's wedding and the return, to the establishment of our new jobbing adventurers party. I hadn't expected any major adventures during this part, and that may have contributed to my letting things go more readily than you had intended.

I've read your IC post and I intend to respond as I think there's a good link there to our future set-up. Maybe if we focus on some actual mission it might help get the others engaged again and we can hopefully handle the real estate issue as more of an aside than the main event.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:08 am

When I came up with Kor I gave him the motivation of looking for Samuvae. I also had hoped to get him to the point where he could be considered a true ranger for the hunter and get access to to spells.

In the course of game, he also gained motivation with his pursuit of Emerald's hand and in the fight against the Hild. Of those 4 motivations, 1 was resolved, 1 was shelved because of having too many NPCs, 1 we let go as the Hild seemed a force of nature and while our efforts were good and it was good story and development it was time to move on. The last ties to leveling and xp which seems sidelined atm.

Anyway, I locked onto the isles idea as a way to get him on the high seas. That hasn't happened, which is fine I'm not looking for changes, but between that and real life it's found me a bit rudderless. I'm ok with playing a backseat role, but I get if that's not the game others want.

I know, not really helpful, but that's where I am right now and i thought it necessary to weigh in.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:16 am

Hi App, thanks for weighing in.

As far as I'm concerned, your ongoing participation is the only thing that's keeping me in this game. If you are intent on taking a backseat role then I think it may be best we just forget it, thank Larenil for everything he's provided for us over the years, and call it a day.

I'm really not interested in a solo game.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:06 am

I'd hate to be the reason to end the game. Realistically though, all my creative stuff has fallen by the wayside, not just this game. I think a backseat role is all I can commit to for the foreseeable future.

If we do decide to call it, I would like to wrap it up and not leave it hanging. Call it an epilogue post, looking in on each pc after 5 years or something. After our last game evaporated, it always felt unsatisfied. I don't want that to happen again.

I want to say that this is isn't reallly anyone's fault. I have enjoyed the game Larenil and the world and adventures. I just think between RL busyness and a bit of depression if I'm being honest, that I can't make the commitment needed to step up my participation to co-star level. You have my apologies for that.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:14 pm

If you all would like to end it, I can write up some epilogues. I will kick Marlin and see if he wants to keep going, solo or not. I think he's had a lot of RL issues to deal with lately. If you'd like to keep going, that's good too, but I would like to know where you all want to go and what expectations you have so we keep it interesting.

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:16 am

I'm okay with keeping it going a little longer, but I'll be watching intently the level of participation of the other players. If Clear Ix is back and willing to take a more prominent role then I think we might still be able to make it work despite App's current issues, and if things are happening that might help App to regain some motivation. If things return to Sterling having to make all the headway and decisions then I'll call it.

Larenil
NZB Leftenant

Postby Larenil » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:35 am

All of you as players are welcome to quit anytime you want. If you would like an epilogue, I'll be happy to provide it. I will call the game once there is no participation and all players agree they no longer wish to play.

Return to “Play By Post”