Best game to start new players to adventure games on?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Best game to start new players to adventure games on?

Postby BottledViolence » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:47 pm

I've got some people who like board games but never played anything beyond your typical Parker Bros stuff. I have a bunch of games like Talisman, HeroQuest, Castle Ravenloft, etc. What are some good choices to ease players into cooperative dungeon crawls? Even something not a dungeon crawls itself is fine if it scratches that itch.
Last edited by BottledViolence on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Best game to start new players to adventure games on?

Postby Glenn » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:14 am

BottledViolence wrote:I've got some people who like board games but never played anything beyond your typical Parker Bros stuff. I have a bunch of games like Talisman, HeroQuest, Castle Davenport, etc. What are some good choices to ease players into cooperative dungeon crawls? Even something not a dungeon crawls itself is fine if it scratches that itch.

Lots of options nowadays but not sure about how easy to learn a lot of them are.

Here is a link to a list of dungeon crawl games on BGG.

and I think these three are the closest to intro

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon.

There are three other games in the series. That is the most recent. Not sure how available the series is.

Mice and Mystics. This was billed as a kid friendly dungeon crawl but i think it has plenty of crunch for an intro gamer. This same designer also has a newer dungeon crawl Stuffed Fables but this one is lighter.

I don't know much about it but Arcadia Quest looks like it could be a good start as well. Except each person controls a group of adventures and you're working together but also have your own goals.

And I had to point out that Hasbro launched a crowd funding thing last week to reprint Heroquest

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:43 am

Glenn wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:I've got some people who like board games but never played anything beyond your typical Parker Bros stuff. I have a bunch of games like Talisman, HeroQuest, Castle Davenport, etc. What are some good choices to ease players into cooperative dungeon crawls? Even something not a dungeon crawls itself is fine if it scratches that itch.

Lots of options nowadays but not sure about how easy to learn a lot of them are.

Here is a link to a list of dungeon crawl games on BGG.

and I think these three are the closest to intro

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon.

There are three other games in the series. That is the most recent. Not sure how available the series is.

Mice and Mystics. This was billed as a kid friendly dungeon crawl but i think it has plenty of crunch for an intro gamer. This same designer also has a newer dungeon crawl Stuffed Fables but this one is lighter.

I don't know much about it but Arcadia Quest looks like it could be a good start as well. Except each person controls a group of adventures and you're working together but also have your own goals.

And I had to point out that Hasbro launched a crowd funding thing last week to reprint Heroquest

I have the D&D games Castle, Tomb, and Temple. I also have the original HeroQuest and Kellar's Keep expansion...plus the Barbarian and Elf Quest packs.

I had to 3d print some figs and my chick thought they looked cool, so looks like we will start with HeroQuest, then Castle Ravenloft if that goes well.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:59 pm

I actually really like Star Wars: Imperial Assault if you think that setting might be an easier sell. It's basically a better more usable version of Descent and I think it's criminally underrated in some circles. It might be a little complicated for absolute beginners, but a lot of the complexity is alleviated because everyone knows what storm troopers and ATSTs are etc. and so can more easily intuit how they operate.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:55 am

tombombodil wrote:I actually really like Star Wars: Imperial Assault if you think that setting might be an easier sell. It's basically a better more usable version of Descent and I think it's criminally underrated in some circles. It might be a little complicated for absolute beginners, but a lot of the complexity is alleviated because everyone knows what storm troopers and ATSTs are etc. and so can more easily intuit how they operate.

Seconded. It's a blast and great stepping stone from board game to RPG (or RPG-like).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”