OOP Board Games

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
John
Host

Re: OOP Board Games

Postby John » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:54 am

I had been jonesing for a Dune reprint for almost 20 years, having played the OG version with Chad somewhere in the early 2000s. This was when there was no crowdfunding, no real broad social interest in complex board games this side of the Atlantic Ocean, very little nostalgia for the 70s or 80s, and Dune was only for grognards because it didn't have any film or TV adaptations that were really durably popular.

Now all but the last of those situations have changed, and with this movie supposed to come out in a couple months maybe that will change too. :beer:

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:20 pm

Ikoma wrote:I don't get to board game near enough anymore. Haven't for decades (since becoming a father). I'm partial the the board game that takes nights to play. That you need to leave... unmolested... on a table for weeks between multiple individual sessions. You cannot play those games and be a parent. Kids do not understand they are not to play with daddy's very cool toys.

So I'm out of the loop on what's in print, what's out of print, what's great, etc. I still get to play a little, so I'm not illiterate on the subject, I just don't feel knowledgeable enough to give useful feedback.

We made a pulley system to lift a sheet of plywood up off of a folding base for wargaming in my buddy's basement. It didn't start off as a way to preserve games, but for hex and counter games it worked great. Raise the tabletop to the ceiling, and fold the legs up to the wall.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:49 am

John wrote:I had been jonesing for a Dune reprint for almost 20 years, having played the OG version with Chad somewhere in the early 2000s. This was when there was no crowdfunding, no real broad social interest in complex board games this side of the Atlantic Ocean, very little nostalgia for the 70s or 80s, and Dune was only for grognards because it didn't have any film or TV adaptations that were really durably popular.

Now all but the last of those situations have changed, and with this movie supposed to come out in a couple months maybe that will change too. :beer:

They did a reprint last year: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/283355/dune
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

John
Host

Postby John » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:43 pm

Oh yes I got it upon release. Got two games in the bank before the plague hit! We botched the rules in both of them but I'm told this is to be expected when starting.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:48 pm

John wrote:Oh yes I got it upon release. Got two games in the bank before the plague hit! We botched the rules in both of them but I'm told this is to be expected when starting.

Yeah the rule book for the new edition fell on hard on the side of "sacrificing specificity and clarity on the altar of not scaring people off"
Have you found the yellow sign?

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:48 pm

I see Hero Quest is being brought back. I dug out my copy to see how complete it is, only missing on figure. Kellar's keep looks complete too. The Barbarian and elf quest packs are a lost cause. So hopefully they bring those back!

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”