Top 25 board games of the decade

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Top 25 board games of the decade

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:33 pm

great list here by Keith Law (the baseball analyst, he's big into board games too).
I agree with most of these, although I havn't played Wingspan yet, it's on my xmas wishlist.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... 2010s.html
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Top 25 board games of the decade

Postby tombombodil » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:32 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:great list here by Keith Law (the baseball analyst, he's big into board games too).
I agree with most of these, although I havn't played Wingspan yet, it's on my xmas wishlist.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... 2010s.html

Hmm I have played almost all of these and there are some big gaps imo. Also a few of those are popular but super overrated imo.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:35 am

Games of the decade is a tall order. Wingspan just came out so i don't think its fair to put it on the list. That company really has a strong base that is good at building up hype for their games.

I don't think Charterstone belongs on that list.

However, Castles of Burgundy is one of my favorite games.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:44 am

gloomhaven not even making the list while being the bgg #1 seems like he doesnt like those kinds of games or never played it.
-Casey

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:23 am

None of the games on the list (that I have played) are bad, but I don't know that you could make a definitive list. Everyone has different tastes, and there are just way too many games out now that are good for any one person to have the time to play them all.

Personally, I would add Scythe, Blood Rage, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Kemet, Lords of Waterdeep, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Love Letter.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 am

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:None of the games on the list (that I have played) are bad, but I don't know that you could make a definitive list. Everyone has different tastes, and there are just way too many games out now that are good for any one person to have the time to play them all.

Personally, I would add Scythe, Blood Rage, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, Kemet, Lords of Waterdeep, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Love Letter.

Everyone seems to really like Deception but I've played it once or twice over the years and didn't really like it. Maybe I need to give it another chance.

Also, I REALLY wanted to like Scythe, but I just don't. It saddens me, because on paper it should be everything I love, but I just don't find it that fun.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:38 am

GinDragon wrote:
Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:None of the games on the list (that I have played) are bad, but I don't know that you could make a definitive list. Everyone has different tastes, and there are just way too many games out now that are good for any one person to have the time to play them all.

Everyone seems to really like Deception but I've played it once or twice over the years and didn't really like it. Maybe I need to give it another chance.

Also, I REALLY wanted to like Scythe, but I just don't. It saddens me, because on paper it should be everything I love, but I just don't find it that fun.

Yeah, Scythe is an odd duck. You get an almost 4X vibe from it, but it's almost more of an efficiency/engine builder. Part of the appeal for me is in puzzling out how to make it work though, and I enjoy it even if I don't end up in contention to win.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:54 am

I'll mention one game that isn't on the list, but is my current favorite:

Star Wars: Rebellion. I'm biased by my love of Star Wars, but aside from that, it's a really cool asymmetrical cat and mouse game. Star Wars fans will get more out of it for sure (it does a pretty good job of finding ways to emulate moments from the movies) but I found it really captures the feeling of a plucky underdog group just trying to survive and make trouble while the behemoth superpower frustratingly stomps around the board and tries to get lucky or catch their prey in a mistake.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:54 am

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

Yeah, Scythe is an odd duck. You get an almost 4X vibe from it, but it's almost more of an efficiency/engine builder. Part of the appeal for me is in puzzling out how to make it work though, and I enjoy it even if I don't end up in contention to win.

agree, i love the puzzle aspect of trying to make it work. i'd rank scythe my #2 behind pandemic legacy.

i hate how long it takes to set up though, and trying to explain the rules is not fun. i play the PC version much more than the physical since it's faster and always people to play with.
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:57 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:
Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

agree, i love the puzzle aspect of trying to make it work. i'd rank scythe my #2 behind pandemic legacy.

i hate how long it takes to set up though, and trying to explain the rules is not fun. i play the PC version much more than the physical since it's faster and always people to play with.

Re Scythe:
Scythe has some pretty fundamental problems with it's balance, pacing, and design that really make it fall several steps behind the truly great management games from the past decade. What it's selling more than anything is the theme, the art design, and the raft of custom minis, and you can have a satisfying evening with it, but it is far from a masterpiece.

I can think of at least 5 or 6 games I would recommend over Scythe in a heartbeat.

Re Lord of Waterdeep:
Similar to Scythe this game sells a compelling theme with great components and art design and decent mechanics, but falls short in some pretty fundamental ways in it's balance and design. But not everyone is gonna care too much about my "ivory tower of game design" criticisms and I can definitely get why people would dig it, even moreso than Scythe.

Re Gloomhaven:
I cannot help but deeply respect the effort and talent and skill that went into making Gloomhaven, and I've had fun the times I've played it, but the main thing it's managed to accomplish is just make me want to play Baulder's Gate or a pen and paper fantasy RPG since it's basically just an enormous and expensive cardboard simulation of those things that capture most, but by no means all, of their essential appeal.

I mostly agree with the rest. There are a few Hard Euro and worker placement games I would add to my list over some of the questionable ones on their list and mentioned in this thread.

Terra Mystica
Brass Birmingham
Great Western Trail
Archipelago
A Feast for Odin
Inis
Concordia

And for easy family or party games:

Sherrif of Nottingham
Cockroach Poker
Monikers
Pictomania