Dune

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
John
Host

Dune

Postby John » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:31 pm

I got the reprint of the 70s Dune game, anyone have any thoughts/opinions/tips?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Dune

Postby tombombodil » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:34 pm

The Hardcore version reminds me why "hardcore" design from before the 90s was often just "bad" design. Play the updated streamlined version.

Also why is the entire new version of the game populated entirely by pasty white people? In this setting of all settings the opportunity for some easy breezy representation could not have been missed harder.

Also pick your play group carefully. This game is not for the light of heart, or sore losers.
Have you found the yellow sign?

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:00 am

tombombodil wrote:The Hardcore version reminds me why "hardcore" design from before the 90s was often just "bad" design. Play the updated streamlined version.

Also why is the entire new version of the game populated entirely by pasty white people? In this setting of all settings the opportunity for some easy breezy representation could not have been missed harder.

Also pick your play group carefully. This game is not for the light of heart, or sore losers.

This is all great advice.

I've never played, but as an outsider, I'd probably say: manage your income. some of the factions have an easier time with it than others, but most will need to encourage the other players directly or indirectly to pay them through their special mechanisms. Sell secrets- that can potentially get you the currency you need to deploy troops in a critical moment or buy the card you need.

After all, he who controls the spice, controls the universe.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:01 am

I own Rex, which is FFG's version of this after they lost the Dune license, but the true Dune looks a little better designed, honestly.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:24 am

GinDragon wrote:Sell secrets- that can potentially get you the currency you need to deploy troops in a critical moment or buy the card you need

It seems to be a point of contention in the community whether you can sell secrets secretly or not. It's a huge buff to Atreides if you can just pay him to look at the treachery card. Less so if you can only pay him to blab it to the whole table.

But, yes. The three Matt Colville playthroughs uploaded so far have a LOT of this.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:25 pm

John wrote:
GinDragon wrote:Sell secrets- that can potentially get you the currency you need to deploy troops in a critical moment or buy the card you need

It seems to be a point of contention in the community whether you can sell secrets secretly or not. It's a huge buff to Atreides if you can just pay him to look at the treachery card. Less so if you can only pay him to blab it to the whole table.

But, yes. The three Matt Colville playthroughs uploaded so far have a LOT of this.

There are quite a few extremely disputed rules interactions.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:03 pm

John wrote:

Those videos put the GF9 version on my radar. I was going to let it pass me by, considering that I have Rex. But now.... Maybe I'll just wait until the huge collector community in my city starts listing it for cheap on the online marketplaces.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:04 pm

P.S. If anyone wants to organize a tabletop simulator session or two of that game, put me on the interested list.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:41 pm

GinDragon wrote:P.S. If anyone wants to organize a tabletop simulator session or two of that game, put me on the interested list.

Ok cool I have TTS let's do it.

Anyone else want to play it is for 6 people.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:49 pm

John wrote:
GinDragon wrote:P.S. If anyone wants to organize a tabletop simulator session or two of that game, put me on the interested list.

Ok cool I have TTS let's do it.

Anyone else want to play it is for 6 people.

Oh that reminds me of another important tip, don't play with less than 4 people. 3 is really really REALLY pushing it, and 2 is untenable. It's like trying to hold a poker night with 2 people.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”