Which acrylic paints do you recommend?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Ugenotis
Spambot?

Which acrylic paints do you recommend?

Postby Ugenotis » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:10 am

I used to be using GW's Citadel Color for painting minis. But that was when they still have, say, Goblin Green, Scorched Brown and such. Then I have almost stopped painting minis for years. When I started to paint minis again, my old paints were already dried and ruined, and Citadel Colors were largely changed. So I started to use acrylic pigments instead (Turner Acryl Gouache).
While those pigments are good, I also interested in using various acrylic pigments designed for painting tabletop minis. Say, newer Citadel paint, Vallejo Game Color, Reaper's Master Paints, Coat d'Arms, Army Painter and such.
Which paint line do you recommend? What is/was your impression on those paint lines?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Which acrylic paints do you recommend?

Postby tombombodil » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:55 pm

Frankly, in my opinion, most of the major lines of acrylics are more or less created equal unless you're a professional painter with very specific tastes. Just by whatever shades you like, and feel free to mix and match from multiple lines. You can combine pretty much any combo of acrylic model paints.

Though fwiw most of the paints I use are Formula P3, the Privateer Press paints.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:43 am

I used to go Ral Partha but I've switched over to Reaper mainly due to the way you get the paint out of the container. I find less room for tipping a pot over and making a mess with the Reaper 'dropper' bottle. But I agree with tombombodil. While I know guys who swear by this line or that line, I cannot find any consensus. And that means they are all created on a pretty even playing field. Your mileage may vary, of course. The guys who love one brand are getting something out of it to love it so.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 am

Plenty of good options.

Unless you're doing modern historical, it really doesn't matter what you use. Buy a variety and see what you like. I do military scale models, so I prefer Vallejo due to the ease of conversion to various official standards. The dropper bottles are great for airbrushing too. For mini painting, I'm not as much of a fan since they suck for stirring if I let them sit too long and I find myself wasting a lot of paint dripping it out onto a tile instead of using it straight from the pot. Yes, I'm a straight from the pot painter when not mixing colors. I pre water my paints. Ain't nobody got time for that pallet nonsense.

I haven't used the newer citadel paints, I'm still using the big flip top clear pot master set I bought on closeout over ten years ago.

Many of the lines are actually made by the same manufacturer or use the same bases. Personal preference is really all that matters unless you're trying to recreate something exactly or like me are color blind and tend to seek out assistance and need to use a common color set.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 am

BottledViolence wrote:...or like me are color blind ...

Hold on there, Bald Eagle... :think:

You're colour blind? :eh:
And you're an electrician? :problem:

Green, brown, red, blue... I guess it doesn't matter much which one goes where... :whistle:

You do much work in California, by any chance? :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:24 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:...or like me are color blind ...

Hold on there, Bald Eagle... :think:

You're colour blind? :eh:
And you're an electrician? :problem:

Green, brown, red, blue... I guess it doesn't matter much which one goes where... :whistle:

You do much work in California, by any chance? :eh:

Wire numbers, wire labels, and a meter. :thumbup:

I can see color, just not very well. With a good light I can tell what I'm dealing with most of the time. If there's any doubt, I can use my meter to "ring it out" or just ask someone else. :lol:

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:39 pm

BottledViolence wrote:Plenty of good options.

Unless you're doing modern historical, it really doesn't matter what you use. Buy a variety and see what you like. I do military scale models, so I prefer Vallejo due to the ease of conversion to various official standards. The dropper bottles are great for airbrushing too. For mini painting, I'm not as much of a fan since they suck for stirring if I let them sit too long and I find myself wasting a lot of paint dripping it out onto a tile instead of using it straight from the pot. Yes, I'm a straight from the pot painter when not mixing colors. I pre water my paints. Ain't nobody got time for that pallet nonsense.

I haven't used the newer citadel paints, I'm still using the big flip top clear pot master set I bought on closeout over ten years ago.

Many of the lines are actually made by the same manufacturer or use the same bases. Personal preference is really all that matters unless you're trying to recreate something exactly or like me are color blind and tend to seek out assistance and need to use a common color set.

I would definitely paint from the pot more if I didn't pretty much always mix colors, even for base coats. Maybe 1% of the layers I do use a base color that comes straight out of the pot.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:02 am

tombombodil wrote:

I would definitely paint from the pot more if I didn't pretty much always mix colors, even for base coats. Maybe 1% of the layers I do use a base color that comes straight out of the pot.

Base coats are always out of the pot for me. If I need to mix for a base coat, I mix a pot of it.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:20 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

Base coats are always out of the pot for me. If I need to mix for a base coat, I mix a pot of it.

I definitely did that when i painted armies and shit. Now I just do commissions of maybe, 1-8 models so I rarely need that much of one color.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Wed May 01, 2019 1:08 pm

back when i was painting minis I always used P3 paint from privateer press.

that reminds me, i have stormtroopers to paint
-Casey

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”