Anyone 3d printing terrain, gamepieces, minis, etc?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Anyone 3d printing terrain, gamepieces, minis, etc?

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:35 pm

I got a new printer a few weeks ago and I'm a lot happier with the results than with my old printer. I've seen some impressive results online, so I figure it's worth seeing how well it works.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Anyone 3d printing terrain, gamepieces, minis, etc?

Postby Glenn » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:45 am

I never bought one but I remember liking this guy's video on it.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:46 am

It's something I dearly WANT to do. Just haven't taken the plunge to buy a printer. Maybe once the wife has her employment situation secured I can add a 3d printer to the toy wish list with a practical chance to get one.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:03 am

Oh, I just had a great idea. A young man in town is printing sort of relief pictures (landscapes, portraits) from pictures. Starting with a really nice detailed area map broken down into 40'x60' (or 60x90 -- I think that's his usual printing size) he could make a set of really nice terrain tiles. Mind you, that would be expensive. But having a selection of landforms... Hmmm.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Ikoma wrote:It's something I dearly WANT to do. Just haven't taken the plunge to buy a printer. Maybe once the wife has her employment situation secured I can add a 3d printer to the toy wish list with a practical chance to get one.

I recently picked up an Ender 3 for like $190 with shipping and tax. The prices keep dropping, and this seems like a really good printer for the price. That plus $20 for a roll of PLA and you're good printing. I'm going to try a test print of a mini today or tomorrow. I don;t like leaving the printer running while I'm not home (some mods I need to do first) so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:12 pm

BottledViolence wrote:
Ikoma wrote:It's something I dearly WANT to do. Just haven't taken the plunge to buy a printer. Maybe once the wife has her employment situation secured I can add a 3d printer to the toy wish list with a practical chance to get one.

I recently picked up an Ender 3 for like $190 with shipping and tax. The prices keep dropping, and this seems like a really good printer for the price. That plus $20 for a roll of PLA and you're good printing. I'm going to try a test print of a mini today or tomorrow. I don;t like leaving the printer running while I'm not home (some mods I need to do first) so I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

Oh! That is a price I can look at. Thanks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:23 pm

One of my players (best friend in high school) has access to a laser cutter and etcher(?). Anyway, I just got this in the mail. It's a custom made dice and accessory box, based on a digital prop I made for our game several years ago. It's freaking amazing! Cork back so it wont scratch the table, embossed leather dice tray, blank book embossed with a sketch I made inside the prop.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:29 pm

keithcurtis wrote:One of my players (best friend in high school) has access to a laser cutter and etcher(?). Anyway, I just got this in the mail. It's a custom made dice and accessory box, based on a digital prop I made for our game several years ago. It's freaking amazing! Cork back so it wont scratch the table, embossed leather dice tray, blank book embossed with a sketch I made inside the prop.

Nice!

I haven't looked into it yet, but I know that there are lasers you can add to 3D printers to turn them into laser etchers/cutters. They're pretty cheap, but it seems like it's kind of hit or miss getting one that works.

Of course, it's just as likely (maybe more) that the people buying them just don't know how to set them up and are blaming the device. That's one of the big problems with inexpensive, borderline DiY tech. It isn't always the most user friendly, and folks expect a device that costs a fraction of a brand name machine to be just as flawless and use friendly.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”