Keyforge

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Keyforge

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:27 pm

new card game from richard garfield. the hook being every deck is unique. they will be sold as $10 decks and there is no deck construction aspect at all. there are 7 houses and each deck is made up of random cards from 3 of those houses. this is procedurely generated deck, which is not entirely random. some cards that reference other types of cards will be included together. each deck will have a unique name and card back, and a qr code to scan into the online app. i assume online play is coming, but details havnt been announced.

it was introduced at gencon and is coming 4th quarter this year. i played a demo game on tabletop, and its actually pretty fun. the goal of the game is to forge 3 keys. each key takes 6 amber to forge. so you're not attacking the other persons life total, you're racing to see who can get amber/keys before the other. you do play creatures which can attack each other and steal amber from the other player to slow them down.

there's no mana or card resources. on each turn you name one of your three houses and can only play and activate cards from that house during that turn. this is a cool mechanic, in that there isn't ever a dead turn. it also creates interesting decisions.. do i play the 5 cards from 1 house, or activate the 2 powerful cards from the other house..

you can see the cards and read the rules here:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/p ... /keyforge/

i'll be picking up at least a few to play casually, and it seems like competitively it will be fun in a sealed tournament where no one has an advantage of netdecking or buying the best deck.
-Casey

Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Keyforge

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 am

I'll be keeping an eye on this. I'm curious to see what they do with the digital version. If its something i can easily play online with my friends i'll try it out.

I feel like they are taking most of the meta out of the usual system and it might hurt tournaments and the long term life of the game.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:31 am

Glenn wrote:I feel like they are taking most of the meta out of the usual system and it might hurt tournaments and the long term life of the game.

its appealing to some players and not to others. for magic i always preferred sealed tournaments to constructed. not having to spend hundreds on a deck to be competitive is nice.

it seems like a no brainer to have you scan the code for your physical deck and then use that deck to play online. its kind of odd that they dont mention that yet though. they only talk about the app for registering and tracking its stats.. they would have to work out a way so you couldnt just scan your friends decks or use a qr code generator.
-Casey

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Sith_Mafia wrote:
Glenn wrote:I feel like they are taking most of the meta out of the usual system and it might hurt tournaments and the long term life of the game.

its appealing to some players and not to others. for magic i always preferred sealed tournaments to constructed. not having to spend hundreds on a deck to be competitive is nice.

it seems like a no brainer to have you scan the code for your physical deck and then use that deck to play online. its kind of odd that they dont mention that yet though. they only talk about the app for registering and tracking its stats.. they would have to work out a way so you couldnt just scan your friends decks or use a qr code generator.

Something else I just thought of. I hope they limit the amount of special rules that each deck uses. I would hate to consistently go up against random decks that use rules that I've never seen before.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Glenn wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:

Something else I just thought of. I hope they limit the amount of special rules that each deck uses. I would hate to consistently go up against random decks that use rules that I've never seen before.

well i think the amount of rules are set for the initial release. they will most likely release new stuff in further sets. he did say it will always be backward compatible, but they might release new houses
-Casey

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:30 am

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm curious about it, but it's not likely to be something that I'd buy into, just due to being able to find enough time to play it to justify the purchase.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:39 pm

GinDragon wrote:Has anyone tried this yet? I'm curious about it, but it's not likely to be something that I'd buy into, just due to being able to find enough time to play it to justify the purchase.

it hasn't been released yet, but i've played a couple games on tabletop simulator. i plan on picking it up when it comes out. the decks are only like 7.99 so its not a very big purchase.

i'll probably just get a few decks and skip the starter set. you can use your own tokens or dice
-Casey

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:30 am

Sith_Mafia wrote:
GinDragon wrote:Has anyone tried this yet? I'm curious about it, but it's not likely to be something that I'd buy into, just due to being able to find enough time to play it to justify the purchase.

it hasn't been released yet, but i've played a couple games on tabletop simulator. i plan on picking it up when it comes out. the decks are only like 7.99 so its not a very big purchase.

i'll probably just get a few decks and skip the starter set. you can use your own tokens or dice

It hasn't?

We had a table of it running at my local board game convention about a week ago. But then maybe there are demo versions out from the publisher.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

GinDragon wrote:
Sith_Mafia wrote:

It hasn't?

We had a table of it running at my local board game convention about a week ago. But then maybe there are demo versions out from the publisher.

latest i heard was november. there were demo decks made for gencon and other conventions
-Casey

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:09 pm

https://www.thecrucible.online/

you can play keyforge in the browser here if you just want to get a feel for the game
-Casey

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”