Sci-Fi themed war games

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Re: Sci-Fi themed war games

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:25 pm

DSumner wrote:I keep hearing about Twilight Imperium, any of you actually played it? And for those of you who have, how'd you like it?

I have, I think its a great translation of the 4X genre to a tabletop... that lasts a bit too long. I'm generally pretty into it for the first 5 hours or so, and then I just want the game to be over. That said , I've never been much for the 4X genre at all so that is probably part of it. I've heard that 4th edition makes the game a lot smoother, but I've only played third.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

lightningcat
'something' per Dan's request

Postby lightningcat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:46 pm

tombombodil wrote:Yeah, big difference between War game and Strategy/Combat game. Star Wars: Imperial Assault is pretty crunchy and dense but super fun once you get rolling.

I can't actually think of any grand-strategy type Campaign Management war-games (like Risk) with a heavy sci-fi theme off the top of my head, but there's gotta be at least a couple.

While I have not played it, the StarCraft Boardgame sounds like it fits into this category.
Someday I will own that game.
Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
---{----------
My take on a Transformer's RPG
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am

i'm picking up star wars legion. it's the new fantasyflight miniature wargame. it's not as rules deep as most war games, but definatly more complex than the board type games. i'm hoping it will be easy enough to play with my kids. if not, i'll at least have fun painting stormtroopers

i'll second starcraft board game as well as nexus ops for other recommendations
-Casey

GinDragon
I am the story stick

Postby GinDragon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:17 pm

lightningcat wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Yeah, big difference between War game and Strategy/Combat game. Star Wars: Imperial Assault is pretty crunchy and dense but super fun once you get rolling.

I can't actually think of any grand-strategy type Campaign Management war-games (like Risk) with a heavy sci-fi theme off the top of my head, but there's gotta be at least a couple.

While I have not played it, the StarCraft Boardgame sounds like it fits into this category.

It's out of print, so good luck!

lightningcat
'something' per Dan's request

Postby lightningcat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:04 pm

GinDragon wrote:
lightningcat wrote:

I know, but there is no reason to shatter my dreams. :boohoo:
Does anyone know if the Typhon Promotion is an expansion or a new game? What I have read does not make it clear. If new, I may just have to settle for it.
Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
---{----------
My take on a Transformer's RPG
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:42 pm

lightningcat wrote:
GinDragon wrote:
lightningcat wrote:

I know, but there is no reason to shatter my dreams. :boohoo:
Does anyone know if the Typhon Promotion is an expansion or a new game? What I have read does not make it clear. If new, I may just have to settle for it.

It's just a mini expansion. https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/37429/starcraft-typhon-promotion
Google+ profile
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

DSumner
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby DSumner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Any others you guys want to recommend?
"There is no such thing as a dangerous weapon, only dangerous men."

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”