Blood bowl

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Blood bowl

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

OK. So I've consolidated the list down and I really like most of what I have. But two are just not good enough yet.

Ice!
A violent sport on Ice? It'll never catch on. After a ball bounces, it moves 1 more square in the same direction. Also whenever a player is knocked down, they slide 1 square in a random direction(use the scatter template and the D8). If they would slide into an occupied square, they do not move. If they slide off the pitch make an injury roll for them as normal. if they slide into a square with the ball the ball bounces (and moves 1 extra square as per normal bouncing rules (for this pitch)). Note that the players are assumed to have been issued appropriate kit to traverse the ice - skates, snowshoes or enhanced cleats - so movement is not affected.

Poorly Built Dungeons
Security is non-existent and this stadium and it really shows as the stadium is packed! Both players roll 3d6 instead of 2d6 to determine how many fans show up to support each team. FAME is calculated normally. The chances of keeping a committed fouler under lock and key aren't great when the dungeon locks are unreliable and the bars are surprisingly wide apart. At the start of each drive, after rolling to see whether knocked out players recover, each coach also rolls a d6 for each of their players that has been sent off for any reason. On a result of 5 or 6 the player is returned to the reserves box and can be used as normal starting with the next drive (they will always miss at least one drive). You might think both teams would make more gold from the gate but most of the fans snuck in - the cheapskates! Both team roll 1d3 instead of 1d6 when determining how much each team earns. The bonus for winning and FAME are normal.

I feel like Ice! needs... something more. And I'm just not sure how excited dedicated foulers would be about the dungeons. Any input appreciated!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:23 pm

Just wanted someplace to post my thoughts on the 'mixed race' teams included in BB2 Legendary Edition.

A. They are fun. Super fun. Crazy weird builds become possible. They rocket up the team value which means they are giving up inducements all the time.

B. You have to let go of some of your preconceived notions of how players skill up. I mean, everyone knows that War Dancers get SPPs quick right? Well, not on a team full of Elf Blitzers from various squads.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Ikoma wrote:Just wanted someplace to post my thoughts on the 'mixed race' teams included in BB2 Legendary Edition.

How progressive :lol:
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Excited for a new painting project. The last Spike! magazine contained a NEW[1] and IMPROVED[2] Halfling roster. In my excitement, I've announced I'm playing a 'fling squad in the next season of our local TT BB league - the New Orald Pints. The GW boxed set has 12 halflings but NO treemen. Luckily, there is a Age of Sigmar box of Kurnoth Hunters that contains three big treemen just the right size. I just won't use the weapons that come in the sprues. I'm mulling over color combos. First thought was to go New Orleans Saints colors since they are the source of the name pun.

But while those colors could work for the 'flings, I don't know that they work on the trees, so I'm thinking of going a little more Green Bay Packers colorwise:

But I kinda want gold and not yellow... so some wikipedia browsing tells me I might want to base them on Baylor:

Anyone have any other ideas?

[1] Somewhat. It's the old roster plus a few things.

[2] Some yes, some no.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:51 pm

The hunters for reference:

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:05 am

Those Hunters look perfect!

A halfing player that is a league with my Best Friend got a Fantasy Ogre and added random twigs for his Treeman.

I played my first game of BB the other day and came close to leading my Dwarves to defeating my best friend's Skaven team.......... that is until I fumbled on a push for it on the second to last turn of the game and the stoopid skaven ran it back for a game winning TD. :facepalm:

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:03 pm

Too Tall wrote:Those Hunters look perfect!

A halfing player that is a league with my Best Friend got a Fantasy Ogre and added random twigs for his Treeman.

I played my first game of BB the other day and came close to leading my Dwarves to defeating my best friend's Skaven team.......... that is until I fumbled on a push for it on the second to last turn of the game and the stoopid skaven ran it back for a game winning TD. :facepalm:

Welcome to the hobby! And welcome to the blow GFI!

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Ikoma wrote:Just wanted someplace to post my thoughts on the 'mixed race' teams included in BB2 Legendary Edition.

How is BB2? I played a bit with it but never did a league or anything.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Mikel wrote:How is BB2? I played a bit with it but never did a league or anything.

A very slight improvement over BB1 but nothing major. The AI still sucks rocks. They did add the ability to make skill use optional (which is always should be) which is nice. I mean, most of the time, if you have Dodge, you want to use Dodge. But every once in a while, there are edge cases where you don't want to. Oh, perfect example. I was playing Halflings against Dwarves last night. Dwarf coach set up the assists and a Troll Slayer made the Dauntless Roll to get two dice on one of my Trees. Normally, I want my trees to Stand Firm, but in this case, if the Troll Slayer pushed me, his Frenzy would require him to follow up and make a second block, this time loosing all his assists and I would gain an assist (based on the one square he could push me to). So I didn't use it, he had to roll two dice uphill... POW and Skull. Guess which one I picked? KO'd the Troll Slayer too.

League organization was apparently improved but since I do not run a league in BB2, I cannot comment with any authority.

Oh, they did add a few more Star Players - but did NOT add skins to go with them. So... you can hire Rosewood for the Halflings, but she looks an awful lot like a stock Wardancer.

Obviously, the newest edition is where the majority of the players are as well.

BUT... there are credible rumors (stoked by announcements made by and then retracted) that Blood Bowl 3 is coming this year. Rumor has it they will add cross platform play, a couple missing teams (Simiyin, Chaos Pact, & Slann [not Kislev]), and some further improvements/refinements to league creation/management. Oh, and it would bring the video game rules completely into alignment with the current tabletop rules. I personally would like some more customization options in designing unis for my players as well as converting the turn clock to something more like a chess clock. Let me take more time on one tough turn if I need it by sacrificing time on other turns.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:53 pm

And.... Blood Bowl 2020 got leaked over the weekend. At some point, I'll probably post a link. But my first thoughts are... this is a big change and I'm worried. There IS stuff I like. There's other stuff that worries me. I'm gonna need to see the whole book. My gut is not happy with some of the changes. I'm worried about my ability to play elf-ball. But until I see the whole thing, I cannot be sure.

I've heard GW is *pissed* about the leak. I get that. I'm sure they wanted to have full control over the release of the information. I'm sure they had a plan for explaining WHY some of the big changes were made. And now they are forced to do damage control.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”