Blood bowl

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
BottledViolence
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Re: Blood bowl

Postby BottledViolence » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:41 am

Ikoma wrote:https://19070-presscdn-0-68-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/BB-Teams-of-Legend-v4.pdf

Great, thanks!

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Did my first ever Blood Bowl draft tournament last week and it was a blast. Made it to the top table for the final match and was leading 1:0 at the half when my dice completely abandoned me. Still... a lot of fun!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Ikoma wrote:Did my first ever Blood Bowl draft tournament

Elaborate. :think:

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm

So I have not really looked into the new edition but clicking through the website... were all the Elf Teams removed from the game? I don't see them anywhere.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Blood Bowl Draft: OK... this was fun! It is a tournament format for eight players. The hardest requirement is you need to have at least one model for each player on every roster in the game. (So 1 human lineman, 1 ork thrower, etc.) There are a few players you need two of. There is an Troll on the Chaos Renegade, Goblin, etc. teams so you need a model for each of them. It's a lot of models. The guy who ran the draft I played in had a complete draft 'pod'. He said he was working on his second. The eight coaches randomly determine draft order (we did it pulling cards Ace through Eight from a deck and then each of us chose a card, I had the 4th pick). The draft operates in a standard serpentine order (so the team that has the 8th pick gets the 1st pick in the second round aka the 9th pick). The draft last 12 rounds. At that point, each coach puts together a team that costs 1,150,000 gold (or less). RRs cost 70k for everyone. No stars allowed, you can spend cash on fan factor, cheer leaders, etc. Each player costs what they would have cost for their team so you cannot just draft the best players. Even if the other coaches were not taking many of those best players, you couldn't afford it. You need to find bargains. Once you have a team, you can assign one player on your roster one skill they could normally take.

Once all coaches have a team, you play a three game resurrection tournament[1]. It's functionally single elimination though there are tie breakers in the event there is a draw or two. After the first and second games, you get to add either two normal skills to two players who do not already have a skill or one double skill to one player who does not already have a skill.

You end up playing weird games with lots of adaptation. Players with the Block skill are a huge priority in the draft, obviously, but there are still lots of different strategies. A few of our coaches tried for big guy domination - drafting three or four big guys and then offsetting those huge costs with a lot of cheaper linemen. When the big guy's negative skills weren't rolling low, those teams could crush. But Nuffle loved to punish them, a single turn where most of the big guys blew their rolls and they got crushed. Another strategy a couple of coached tried was taking as many STR 4 (or higher) players who had no negative skills (Flesh Golem, Black Orc Blocker, etc.) and then punish the other team. The problem there is almost none of the STR 4 players start with any really useful skills and need more than one skill to really get good. Another strategy was to try and get as many blitzers from as many teams as possible, essentially created a souped up Norse team: faster with better armor. Finally, I was the only coach who tried to Elf it up, taking as many AG 4 players as I could (I got five). When I couldn't get elves, I went for elf-lite (like the Bretonnian Knight or the Werewolf). Then I tried to play good ol' fashioned elf ball.

My strategy worked pretty well. In game one, I faced a guy trying the STR 4 team. His complete lack of Block or Tackle meant he just could not knock me down reliably. And I could dodge away and hit like a laser. In my second game, I played a guy going for the blitzer team (all Block). But by that time, I had added Block to the players on my roster who needed it. I was just a hair faster and more agile than him and I had erased his Block advantage. I won on late game elf bullshit. Final match was against a big guy collector. He had four big guys (if you count Vampires are big guys since they have Off for a Bite). The first half, I took the ball away, stalled most of the half, and scored to take the lead. I was feeling pretty good. I had a lead, hadn't lost a player and was going to be receiving the kick off. At this point, Nuffle fracked me but good. By the end of the second turn, eight of my players were off the pitch (six in the second turn alone), five injured, three KO'd. He scored easily. NONE of my KOs came back. My three remaining players just could not face off against four big guys and a decent support staff. He scored a second time and I lost the championship game 1:2.

Still had a ton of fun.

[1] aka all players recover from all injuries after each game. No zombies will be raised, etc.

Elf Teams: All the elf teams are still there. The Pro Elves (or 'just' Elves), got renamed to the Elvin Union. They are all completely identical to their previous versions. The only way to get the rules for them is in Death Zone Season 1. There are some new star players, updated old star players, and custom coaching staff for them as well in both Death Zone Season 1 and Season 2.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am

And now I've gotten sucked down the rabbit hole of writing a league charter to try and get a league going at the FLGS in the next year.

Gotta start thinking of ways to generate prize support... :think:

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Soliciting feedback.... so as I said previous posting, I am finally getting off my keister and doing the groundwork to get a tabletop BB league running at my favorite FLGS. I know the owner is cool with it, he just doesn't have the time/energy to run it (on top of running the store and running league/events for much more popular/profitable games, of which I do not blame him for prioritizing). So with that in mind, I wrote up a draft set of rules. Most of it is Rules As Written. But I wanted to add one bit of flavor... Home Field Advantage. Basically, each coach could select one of three home field advantage with flavor of the base race. So Norse might choose to play on an ice rink while Dwarves might use a master-hewn stone ball. Each team would play half their games at 'home' and half on the 'road'. Anyway, I would love some outside feedback on the options as I currently have them.

I started with the optional stadium rules from DZ2 (which are clunky and challenging) and tried to simplify them down. I also borrowed some ideas from a recent White Dwarf article on custom balls. Then a google search added a few more ideas and I finished it off with some ideas of my own. But now I am thinking some of these are too similar. So I am looking for the following feedback...

• Are any of these overpowered? In general or only if certain teams get them? How would you nerf it? Or just not allow the dangerous races to have access to it?
  • Are any of the under-powered? How would you power it up?
  • Do you have another idea for a home field advantage?
  • Should some of these be combined?
  • Other feedback?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Home Field Advantages
At team creation, each coach chooses one of the potential Home Field Advantages listed in the team lists. That advantage will be in effect for all home games. Home Field Advantage can be changed during the off-season and costs 1 team RR in moving costs. A new Home Field Advantage can be chosen if a team is being re-started from scratch.

Ale-Fueled Maniacs: The local fans are a bunch of rabid Nutters, and that's before they start drinking. Drink is omnipresent in the stadium. Before rolling on the kick off table roll a d6. if the result is a 1 (subtract -1 from the roll for every half after the first: -1 in the second half, -2 in OT) do not roll on the kick off table. Instead roll another d6 on a 1 Resolve a get the ref result, 2 - 3 resolve a riot result, on a 4 - 5 resolve a throw a rock result and on a 6 resolve a pitch invasion result. Additionally, each team receives a Bloodweiser Babes inducement at no cost.

Appalling Stands: There aren't enough seats, exposed nails stick out of every surface and there's a weird smell coming from somewhere. At the end of each drive, the away coach rolls a d6. if they roll a 1, some of their fans have had enough and walkout, reducing their team’s fame by 1 - this can take it into negative figures. Note however the team's winnings and the end of the match cannot go below 0! Additionally, instead of a regulation ball, they use a limpin’ squig. At the beginning of each coach’s turn, if the ball is on the pitch and not in a player’s hands, it will scatter one square to an empty square (reroll the direction of the scatter if necessary). It's a little twitchy and trying to get away.

Apathetic Officials: Whether they don't get paid enough or they're just a bit thick, the officials at this venue just aren't all that switched on. Each team gets a bonus bribe. Additionally, each coach can choose to apply a +1 to any injury rolls from fouls but doing so will get even these lazy referees to blow their whistles and eject the fouler. (This ejection can be argued or bribed away as per normal rules.)

Astrogranite: This artificial stone was all the rage in the 80's, and some stadiums still keep it for its extra-grippy surface (plus it's always entertaining when the players fall down) Add 1 to the result of all armour rolls (except for fouls). In addition, if a player fails a go for it on astrogranite, roll a d6 on a 1-3 they are knocked down as normal. On a 4 5 or 6 the player stays standing and there is no turnover, but they cannot attempt to go for it again this action.

Boisterous Rabble: The crowd has come out today for a good time and are looking to get properly involved in the game! Each coach's fame is increased by +1 to a maximum of +2. In addition, if a player is pushed into the crowd add +1 to the result of the injury roll.

Broadcast Studio: Every game played at this stadium goes out live on one of the big Cabalvision networks. Star players are always keen to get in front of camera, so they can be hired for the game at 20,000 gold pieces less than their standard rate (to a minimum of 10,000 gp) In addition when determining changes to fan factor add 3 to each coaches dice roll. The press coverage also means each team gets +1 MVP. The same player cannot receive both MVPs.

Bunch of Pacifists: The local crowd are much happier watching violence than getting involved... the lunatics! If a player would be injured (i.e. stunned, knocked out, or suffers a casualty) by a result on the kick off table, roll a d6. On a roll of 4 or more the result is ignored. In addition if a player is pushed into the crowd, they are put straight into the reserves box.

Enclosed Pitch: The pitch is surrounded by a wall or fence, or is dug into the ground in the form of a pit. Players cannot be pushed out of bounds. If a player would leave the pitch for any reason, they are instead shoved into the stadium wall (which in most cases is adorned with spikes!) The player is knocked down in the square they were pushed from and an armour roll is made for them. In addition the ball cannot scatter out of play; if it does it bounces back, return it to play using the throw in template as normal but only move it d3 spaces rather than 2d6 spaces.

Extra Spiky Balls: Every team in Blood Bowl has the option of taking an Extra Spiky Ball. The Extra Spiky Ball does not bounce if it lands in an empty square after it’s been thrown in or kicked off. Additionally, if a player rolls a 1 when attempting to pick up, catch, or intercept the ball, the player making the attempt is treated as being attacked with the Stab Skill.

Deflated Ball: This high quality and not at all tampered with ball, is made of extra thin leather with precision stitching meaning it spirals easily and flies gracefully through the air. It improves the ball handling and catching abilities of all players who use it. This ball confers a +1 on all Pass, Catch, and Intercept rolls. Add +1 to all scatter rolls (kick-offs & throw ins) as well since this ball makes anyone look like Tom Brady.

Flooded Pitch: The pitch is flooded! If a player is knocked down while going for it or dodging subtract 1 from the result of the Armour roll. In addition, whenever a player recovers from being stunned, roll a d6. On a roll of a 1, lying face down in the water has done them no favors, they remained stunned for another turn.

High-tech Coaching Support: This stadium is decked out with the latest in instant replay technology, wireless communication, and whiteboard markers for both teams! The result is that the coaching staffs operate at the highest level. Each team gets an extra RR each half. Additionally, at the start of each drive after the first, each coach rolls a d3 and adds their support coaching staff (not including the Head Coach). If the result is higher than the number of team rerolls they currently have they gain a bonus team reroll.

Ice!: A violent sport on Ice? It'll never catch on. After a ball bounces, it moves 1 more square in the same direction. Also whenever a player is knocked down, they slide 1 square in a random direction(use the scatter template and the D8). If they would slide into an occupied square, they do not move. If they slide off the pitch make an injury roll for them as normal. if they slide into a square with the ball the ball bounces (and moves 1 extra square as per normal bouncing rules (for this pitch)). Note that the players are assumed to have been issued appropriate kit to traverse the ice - skates, snowshoes or enhanced cleats - so movement is not affected.

Know-it-all Hecklers: Everyone in this crowd seems to be an expert on the finer points of the rules of the game and their screamed corrections are doing nothing to improve the refs temper. If a player makes a foul action that results in the target player being removed from the pitch and the fouling player is not sent off as a result, roll a d6. On a 1, 2 or 3 the Crowd's screamed indignation convinces the ref otherwise and the player is sent off anyway as though a double had been rolled.

Luxury Boxes: From team flags and noisemakers to giant, pointing fingers and woodcut portraits of popular players, this stadium sells it all. Plus, they have luxury boxes to sell to the rich and famous. In the first step of the 'record fortune and fame' phase of the post match sequence, each coach rolls an extra d3 and adds it to their total winnings.

Master-Hewn Ball: The Dwarf Team is a strong little group, and their ball has a nice weight to it! The center may or may not have iron in it, all depends on if you get caught or not! During a kickoff the ball only scatters d3 rather than d6 (does NOT stack with the Kick skill), and gentle breezes do not affect it on a changing weather result on the kick-off table. If the Master-Hewn Ball lands in an empty square after it is thrown, thrown in, or kicked off, it does not bounce, after all it does have an iron core. This ball confers a -1 on all Pass, Catch and Intercept rolls. If a player rolls a natural 1 on any Catch or Intercept rolls, they are placed prone with no AV or Injury roll.

Muddy Pitch: The playing surface at this stadium is one big slipping hazard. All players suffer -1 penalty to their movement for the duration of this match, to a minimum of 3, however players can attempt to go for it one more time than normal (so 4 with the sprint skill). Additionally, there is a -1 penalty to all pick up rolls. This muddy modifier does NOT stack with the penalty from Pouring Rain.

On-Site Apothecaries: This stadium is so well heeled that the teams are given top-notch, first class medical assistance. Each team is granted a free apothecary for use during the match, in addition to any apothecary they may have on their team roster. If the team is forbidden from using an apothecary they gain a bonus team reroll instead.

Poorly Built Dungeons: The chances of keeping a committed fouler under lock and key aren't great when the dungeon locks are unreliable and the bars are surprisingly wide apart. At the start of each drive, after rolling to see whether knocked out players recover, each coach also rolls a d6 for each of their players that has been sent off for any reason. On a result of 5 or 6 the player is returned to the reserves box and can be used as normal starting with the next drive (they will always miss at least one drive).

Reputation for Spectacle: The stadium is well known for the spectacular games (and halftime shows) it hosts, and visiting teams can expect a sizeable allowance to make the match more interesting. At the choose inducements step of the pre match sequence each coach has an additional 2d6 x 10k gold pieces in petty cash (the same amount goes to both teams - each coach rolls 1d6 and add the results together then multiply the result by 10,000. Each coach gains that much petty cash.)

Retractable Dome: The smoothly maintained elf grass gives a -1 to all AV & Injury rolls when players are knocked down by a failed GFI or dodge. In addition, the retractable dome helps encourage perfect Blood Bowl weather. Re-roll any Weather results other than "Fine". The re-roll stands even if it is not Fine Weather (the Dome has malfunctioned!)
Royal Stadium: This team has been invited by actual royalty to make their home in the official royal stadium. As a result, the common folk all take an increased notice. All post-match Fan Factor gains and losses are doubled! Not that common folk can get in what with the increased security scrutiny. Re-roll any Riot and Thrown Rock results on the kick-off table. The re-roll stands even if it is another Riot / Thrown Rock (extra violent fans!)

Sloping Pitch: The pitch is built on a Serious incline. The home team can decide if they are going uphill or downhill at the start of the match. Whenever the ball bounces, do not use the scatter template, instead use the throw in template oriented so the 3-4 points directly down the slope. In addition the players can attempt to go for it one additional time, as long as it takes them closer to the end zone and the bottom of the slope. At halftime the teams change ends and the pitch slopes the opposite way.

Solid Stone: Dwarf-operated stadiums started this trend with their polished marble pitches, but stone stadiums have become more popular above ground in recent years. If the ball bounces into an unoccupied square it will bounce 1 more time. In addition, add +1 to the result of all injury rolls when playing on polished stone (so this does not change the injury rolls inflicted by being pushed into the crowd).

Stiff Wind Stadium: This stadium is located somewhere the winds are strong and consistent. This means one have each team will have favourable winds for passes and throwing team mates. And one half the wind will be in your face. When the wind is coming from your back, you calculate the range of the pass as if the thrower was one square closer to the end zone (passing coach chooses which of the three squares). When the wind is in your face, you calculate the range of the pass as if the thrower was one square further away from the end zone (defensive coach chooses which of the three squares. The home team gets to decide if the have the favorable wind in the first or second half.

Unclear Markings: The pitch is little more than a rectangle of grass with a faded line roughly dividing it into two halves. When the kicking team sets up for a drive, they may choose to treat their line of scrimmage as being the normal line of scrimmage or one row of squares into their own half or one row of squares into the other team's half. This creates a temporary halfway line for this kickoff which the receiving team must adhere to when setting up their players and which is used for the purpose of awarding a touchback. In addition, the limit of 2 players per wide zone during setup does not apply to either team.

Uncovered Trapdoors or Sinkhole: Either for budgetary reasons or just for a laugh, the trapdoors on the pitch could best be described as large, yawning holes in the ground. If a player moves onto a trapdoor square (voluntary or otherwise), they are counted as having been pushed into the crowd. If the ball moves onto a trapdoor square, it will be thrown back out by a helpful groundskeeper, immediately scattering d6 squares in a random direction. If the pitch setup doesn't have any trapdoor squares, there is a 2x2 sinkhole placed randomly on the pitch that acts the same way. Teams switch having the sinkhole on ‘their’ side of the pitch at half time.

BadMrMojo
I am the story stick

Postby BadMrMojo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm

First thought is that I'd remove the penalty for changing. That might help encourage experimentation, while having a penalty - even a relatively small one - seems likely to lead towards a less diverse range of choices (ie: "Better pick the good one or I'll suffer for it later" syndrome). Especially without testing them first, letting people switch up between seasons or even between games seems like it could encourage a broader range of differentiating factors.

As far as the pitches themselves, there are a lot and a lot of them seem to do relatively similar things. There are a large number that boost Fan Factor, for example, which seems like it dilutes any one pick a bit. Perhaps a few might be a bit more appealing if consolidated. As it stands, I wouldn't pick a +FF one just because none of them seem clearly any better than the others at first glance.

Additionally, it could help to focus on the intended impact. Right now, there's a bit of a split between in-game effects (mostly doing more damage or hindering movement) and post-game effects (fan factor and winnings, primarily). That seems really tough to balance, particularly with a really large number of choices. If it were me, I'd try to focus a bit more on narrowing down the options (make one that causes the big hurt but has a drawback, one that slows down movement, etc. and then ensure each has a counter option that's similarly appealing to a the opposite play style) and slightly reducing their level of impact overall.

Lastly, a lot of these would add a number of rolls (the Ale-Fueled Maniacs essentially make you roll KO results twice, for example). I personally think there's enough rolls going on and I'd lean instead towards passive adjustments rather than additional rolls. I just think it might help the games go more quickly.

All that is without having actually tried any of them (or even having played a game in years). So take with a grain of salt.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks! I get the comment that some have an in game affect while others have a post-match sequences. I might try to consolidate them so every home pitch advantage has A game affect and A post-match affect.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”