Blood bowl

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
BottledViolence
Sat through Dan's Cap Ship Lecture and didn't fall asleep... mostly

Blood bowl

Postby BottledViolence » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Anyone play the new edition of BB? Apparently there is a league near me that I may join but haven't played the new version or looked at the rules. I kind of drifted away from it during the LRB days.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Blood bowl

Postby Ikoma » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:41 am

Yup. Played several tournaments (got one this weekend) and a league. What would you like to know?

It's VERY similar to the previous edition.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Ikoma wrote:Yup. Played several tournaments (got one this weekend) and a league. What would you like to know?

It's VERY similar to the previous edition.

I just got my copy of it and it looks almost exactly like the original LRB but with the cards added back in. How many teams are there now, I only glanced at the rules, but it seemed like they only included the humans and orcs. I'm beginning to think I paid $80 for a bunch of stuff I already have and don't need. :facepalm:

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Ok. So yes, the core book only has the Orcs and Humans. But all the other teams are available from the website. [https://www.bloodbowl.com/] Specifically, you are looking for the Teams of Legend down at the bottom (it should be noted that they changed the rosters a bit, mostly just names but a few bigger changes so make sure to look at your favorites, the coolest is that the Treeman on Halfling teams now have a special skill that let's 'flings help them stand up). Having said that, they are releasing Death Zone season supplements that add a lot of stuff. Stuff you may not want and/or need. I'll try to summarize the changes between the most recent Competition Rules Pack (aka CRP) and the new GW published edition...

The first change is the scale of the game. The old school board and figures were 28mm. The new board and figures are 32mm. However, dimensions of the board (in squares) remains the same. So you can play with the old board and/or minis. Range rulers won't work between editions but range tables/charts will. The general BB community seems to like this change. It's lets us play with slightly bigger minis so that means more detail and more viability.

An additional change people like is that the 4 minute turn limit and the Illegal Procedure rules are now officially marked as optional. Most people ignored them anyway, so.... good change. Humans catchers got reduced to 60k. There was a lot of fraccas about Pile On as a skill. Essentially, after errata, Pile On now places your player prone and allows you to use a team RR to reroll the Armor roll. Some people like this as it means Pile On now has more of a cost and cannot be used every single turn. Others, notably players who LIKE CLAW-PO-MB, are not fans. ;)

Yes, Special Play cards are back. You get at least one a game, maybe more depending on the handicap. Two decks in the starting box but two additional decks have also been released. They are fun but I know some people don't like the extra randomness. Also, Wizards are officially gone (they will come back with Death Zone stuff). As in previous editions of the game, the core rules are intended for one of games, so you have to wait for Death Zone 1 to get league rules.

Additions in Death Zone 1: Seven races got published in new rules (Skaven, Dwarf, Nurgle, Dark Elf, Wood Elf, High Elf, and Elvin Union). More stars got added to the core four in the basic box (some are updated old stars, but some are new). MVP is now randomly assigned to one of three players you get to select. Minor tweaks to how you argue the call on fouls and secret weapons (basically, you now risk your head coach if you do this and that can have a minor negative effect later in the game). Spiraling Expenses is not optional but a new Aging rule comes into play between seasons in a league environment.

Additions in Death Zone 2: More stars (new and updated old). New optional league rules for marketing sponsorship and team owned stadiums. General consensus is these rules are rough. They contain some cool ideas but are not really balanced... yet. The community is working on alternatives that are more streamlined and fair. DZ2 adds famous referees and famous coaching staff who have special abilities. These are pretty cool ideas but again, don't look fully playtested.

And that's where we stand. Rumors are that Death Zone 3 will be undead focused. But no confirmation. Speculation on tournament rules as well.

As always, questions welcomed. I am all on board with Blood Bowl so I'll be buying whatever they release. [I know. I'm part of the problem. :D ] But it also means I can answer any questions you have.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:40 pm

What are you doing for miniatures? Does your store allow you to bring and use your own, non-GW minis? I had heard that you were only allowed to use the official minis in leagues, although this seems like it's more up to the store owner. I've looked at a few of the boxes and the teams seem kind of incomplete, i.e. the Goblins team not having any of the Secret Weapon players.

I mean I'm evaluating like every 2 weeks if I want to invest the time and money to be a part of the problem too.

Also, the Igor inducement... uuuuugh is it really that unbalanced if they ditch the Necromancer and let the undead (lower case u) teams have an Igor as their Apo replacement? Because the Necromancer is just... Useless. IF you kill and player AND they fall into a narrow category you get... a complete rookie Zombie you're probably going to fire after the game because they're just bloat.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:30 pm

A. Minis. Since the new scale is 'bigger' than the old one, you can use your old minis just fine. They will just look a little smaller next to the new scale. But they fit in the squares easy as pie. I am sure official GW events require official GW minis (it's how they do) but I have seen literally NO other event require that. Blood Bowl players love their 3rd party minis and a whole slew of companies have stepped in to create 32mm versions of all the teams - particularly those GW has not got around to creating yet.

I personally have the GW plastic 32mm human and ork set from the box, two 28mm teams from Shadowforge that can proxy for a whole bunch of teams (human, amazon, norse, etc.), and a 28mm skaven team from who knows where (won it at a tourney). I've got a smattering of single figs for stars, coaching staff, etc. also won at events or just picked up along the way. I do have a new 32mm dark elf team from Sukubus minis and another 32mm generic elf team I kickstarter from Impact! that I am waiting for. I also have a selection of LEGO minifigs that I've used in the past for dwarf, halfling, necro, and undead. They were a little big for the 28mm board but they fit perfectly on the 32mm one. PLUS, I have seen paper model options online if you want to go that direction. While people will encourage you to get and paint minis (it's part of the fun), I have never seen someone turned away. We don't have that many players.

Now, the official GW boxes are a pain in the ass. Yes, they are not a complete team. Yes, you cannot even GET an official complete team from GW for some of their 'published' teams. The only way to get a complete team of some of the other teams is to buy TWO boxes, which gives you way more of some positions than you need. Hence the reason fans are so supportive of 3rd party minis.

B. Igor. I would balk a little at Igor as a replacement for the Necromancer. But there are talks about making Igor a standard benefit of an Undead type team's home stadium.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:11 pm

What did they do with the Chaos team?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:47 pm

BottledViolence wrote:What did they do with the Chaos team?

They are now called Chaos Chosen. Beastmen are Beastmen Runners. Chaos Warriors are now Chosen Blockers. Minotaurs are still Minotaurs. Skills, stats, costs, etc. are all the same. I am sure there are some minor changes to the star players but I'm not familiar withe the Chaos stars pre and post new rules.

BottledViolence

Postby BottledViolence » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 pm

Ikoma wrote:
BottledViolence wrote:What did they do with the Chaos team?

They are now called Chaos Chosen. Beastmen are Beastmen Runners. Chaos Warriors are now Chosen Blockers. Minotaurs are still Minotaurs. Skills, stats, costs, etc. are all the same. I am sure there are some minor changes to the star players but I'm not familiar withe the Chaos stars pre and post new rules.

Cool, thanks! Where is the team list?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 am

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”