Painting Minis (Beginner here)

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Painting Minis (Beginner here)

Postby Nny » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:55 am

I'm not actually even a beginner as I have yet to actually begin :lol:
I bought Star Wars:Imperial Assault and painting the minis seems necessary. I have never painted anything smaller than a high school art project and I didn't think I would *need* to paint these as badly as I do!
I have watched videos and read articles on techniques in general and star wars specific.
So now, I am at the point where I need to start buying things. My thoughts are this: I want good quality materials but what if it turns out I actually hate painting? What is a cautious level of investment as far as paint brands and brushes?
General consensus seems to be that Apple Barrel (Walmart brand acrylics) is not for minis but is it as bad as some forums say? Can I still practice with it?
My flgs only carries Citadel but is out several colors (not heavy on the minis supplies) so where could I find other brands of Minis paint? (Obviously Amazon and such but I do like to physically see the products I buy if I can)
As far as shades, it seems like really really thin paint, can I make my own?

That's just about all that's on my mind for now. Any thoughts or resources would be appreciated! I'll post pics of my efforts once I dig in!
Last edited by Nny on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Painting Minis (Beginner here)

Postby Glenn » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:21 am

I've been looking into painting minis myself. I tried to spray paint a game and that went horribly wrong.

The issue i had is that with plastic minis, especially from a boardgame, you have to wash them with dawn dish soap to get rid of the coating the put on the minis to keep them from sticking to the mold.

Brodeur the Elder
BABUSHKA!

Postby Brodeur the Elder » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Craft paints don't hold their colour over time and don't have as much pigment. That means extra coats which can hide detail and a paint job that fades over the years even under clear coat.

They are fine for terrain and basing. I won't deny using them on things I don't care about and want to crank out. Civilian mobs or animals for example that are essentially ambulatory terrain.

But the Paint Police won't raid your basement if you use craft paints on your minis. If you do Delta and Folk Art are way better than the others. Try some and if you like painting spring for the better paints. But get good brushes now, if at in your budget Windson Newton Series 2. GW and Vallejo are good.

I've not painted my imperial assualt yet but I know fig prep, cleaning, and the right primer are key on that family of plastics

Nny

Postby Nny » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:48 am

Thank you!

I bought some star wars figures at dollar general and decided to practice on those.

I used craft paints on a trooper and I remember thinking "man. those online tutorials made it look easy."

Then I bought some finer brushes and Vallejo paints. Holy crap, huge difference. My next stormtrooper came out less terrible. Im gonna do one more practice trooper then hit my IA figs!

Nny

Postby Nny » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:48 pm

Practicing with my own mix of black wash and dry brush I did this. I was surprised that it fit the look I was going for although I will say I feel I hit the cockpit a little too heavy but still, I like it!

I'm open to advice on improvements!

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Looking good! The trick to getting even coverage with drybrushing is to do multiple passes with as little paint on the brush as possible. for something that size, I'd I'd probably do 4-6 total passes allowing a small amount of time to totally dry between each. It's sort of a "measure twice cut once" kinda thing, because you can always do another layer, but if you press a little too hard, or leave a little too much paint on the brush you can be SoL.

In that way you can avoid those solid patches of paint on the larger flat areas. Still, looking good :D

Edit: also mess around with dry-brushing, doing a severely watered down wash, letting that dry, they dry brushing again even lighter and with less paint. You can get some very cool and effective highlighting that way.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Nny

Postby Nny » Mon May 16, 2016 10:20 am

Finally convinced myself to actually post what I've done. After practicing on a bunch of other minis I got the courage to do some IA pieces.
Imperial Guard was nice. Don't have a lot of complaints!
My stormtroopers leave room for improvement. Each storm trooper I feel I did "something" different. (Water down paint, don't water down/heavy highlight, light highlights/noodles, don't noodles)
This one I like the most. On the board, they look fine!

Nny

Postby Nny » Mon May 16, 2016 10:26 am

I did paint the bases too I just took the pic before then

Greybird
'something' per Dan's request

Postby Greybird » Wed May 18, 2016 10:59 am

Looking great!

Nny wrote:My stormtroopers leave room for improvement. Each storm trooper I feel I did "something" different. (Water down paint, don't water down/heavy highlight, light highlights/noodles, don't noodles)

You've discovered the secret of great miniature painting. Experiment! If you plan to keep at it, using a notebook to record what you did differently and the results is a must.

If I had to guess, I'd say you were probably using Sorastro's videos for reference. I looked over those recently when thinking about painting my own Imperial Assault minis. One thing that I've heard several people comment on about their results with his videos is that it is hard to get the white over the black wash on the Stormtroopers to look smooth.

The secret is to use a good quality paint (and Vallejo make good paints - they're my second favorite brand behind Reaper) and to thin them considerably. You should feel like you're painting with milk. It will take multiple coats, but each one will build on the other to provide a clean, smooth transition from the shading to the highlights.

In my work-in-progress I also skipped the black wash he uses in favor of some Vallejo gray wash. I found the black made the shadows too dramatic and harsh. So far the results have been good.

Nny

Postby Nny » Wed May 18, 2016 11:44 am

Thank you! Yeah Sorastro is kind of the only resources for painting star wars minis I could find. Totally agree on the black washing, so my troopers look really clean cuz i just painted over some of the smaller lines haha. I'm working on the eweb engineers now, thanks for the tips! I was wondering what difference a gray wash would make, I'll look into that.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”