Random MtG Thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
John
Host

Re: Random MtG Thoughts

Postby John » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:09 pm

The EDH metagame of making yourself powerful enough to win without creating exposure to cries that you made your deck too powerful for the spirit of EDH looks exhausting.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:30 pm

John wrote:The EDH metagame of making yourself powerful enough to win without creating exposure to cries that you made your deck too powerful for the spirit of EDH looks exhausting.

Eh, it's not that different to TTRPGs; you gotta know your group. You can't realistically have a great D&D experience if half the people want something totally different out of the game than the other half.

Also people play EDH with way too many people. I honestly think 3 is the perfect number, 4 at the ABSOLUTE most, because anything more than that and you can't possible keep track of what everyone is doing and there are way too many threat vectors to have any real strategy; at that point everyone is just goldfishing.

EDH with 3 people who are on the same page about how they want to play the game and are also generally just pretty good sports is some of the best gaming I've ever had.

EDIT: Also side note, to me there is nothing in the world more valuable than people who can have fun while losing a board game. They are SO few and far between, I think out of my 10-15 or so various friends who I occasionally play somewhat competitive (as opposed to strictly co-operative) only myself and like, 1 other person are truly reliably good sports when they lose, either to bad luck or their own misplays. Even the nicest most courteous people can get really bent out of shape, or just expressively unhappy when things don't go their way in a game.

This is doubly unfortunate because some of my favorite games are REALLY competitive and cutthroat (Food Chain Magnate and Chinatown) and it's just impossible to get a group of 3-5 people together who will enjoy and appreciate the challenge of the game regardless of who wins.
Have you found the yellow sign?

John
Host

Postby John » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 pm

tombombodil wrote:Also people play EDH with way too many people.

This is reassuring. My low-single-digit number of experiences with excited EDH guy have been like six player games that appeared to make no sense.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:36 pm

My real strategy for not being exhausted worrying about power level is that I don't. Mostly just thinking about the kind of play experience I want leads me to not put some stuff in. Near-instant win combos like Niv-Mizzet+Curiosity and so on are stuff that I don't want to win with in a casual setting. But you can usually play your deck down, i.e. in my Windgrace deck I'll just let Sorin sit in my hand for a long time rather than immediately set someone's life total to 10 as soon as possible. Unless you're playing Commander for prizes, it's going to be a somewhat social experience. I play with a group of college buddies and just started going to a weekend group that meets at a pub in town. Just try to read the table and be open to discussions. And hey, sometimes you do deserve to have the table gang up on you.

Trying to win is not a problem in and of itself. I've actually been praised for how I shift into "Stop me from winning" mode.

Four players is fine. Five players is fine as long as everyone's willing to sit close so it's not a huge strain to see boards. At six and seven players I'm going to start seriously lobbying to use the Bang! roles to add some structure to the game. At eight I'm either suggesting to split or sitting out to watch Bob Ross or play Pokemon Go or something instead.

So far as actually playing to win, so far my record in weekly Modern events is 2-2, 0-2 drop, 3-1, and 3-1. I can't wait for Hogaak to be banned so I can go back to playing Karn the Great Creator because 4-Color Urza scares me.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Spammy V wrote:
So far as actually playing to win, so far my record in weekly Modern events is 2-2, 0-2 drop, 3-1, and 3-1. I can't wait for Hogaak to be banned so I can go back to playing Karn the Great Creator because 4-Color Urza scares me.

I'm pretty much done with modern. I'm convinced it's doomed to a perpetual cycle of being un-fun and busted followed by several bannings and then like, maybe a month of decent play before a new set breaks it again. Without FoW, Mother of Runes, Brainstorm, and Wasteland, modern just has no power-release valve to deal with the REDICULOUS power-creep in creatures in the past few years. Almost every new set has introduced several teir 1 staples to modern, and modern has been getting worse and worse ever since as rediculously fast, hyper linear strategies that have answers, multiple vectors of attack, and staying power in the late game, push absolutely everything else out of the meta.

And banning those fast decks right now would just lead to Teferi control dominating. Basically they're gonna need to ban 2-5 bards every 4 months or the format will continue to deteriorate, occasionally skipping off rock bottom and coasting for a bit.

Sorry didn't mean to harsh your browns :oops: </nerdrant>

Edit: granted your mileage may vary wildly at the FNM level where people don't care about being competitive and just play their pet decks anyway, but where I am, most people play the winningest decks and it gets real boring real fast.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am

John wrote:The EDH metagame of making yourself powerful enough to win without creating exposure to cries that you made your deck too powerful for the spirit of EDH looks exhausting.

one time at a grand prix they had 4 man edh pods with a bunch of packs for first and a $5 entry fee. me and 3 other guys decided to game the system and we would act like we didnt know each other and then team up on the 1 random guy, and just split the packs.

we'd play about 4 turns normally making sure to ping each other a bit, and then just go all out on the other guy. it was mean, and you could tell the moment they realized they were getting played. edh really shouldn't be a competitive format.

we felt so bad aftewards that we ended up giving the guy his money back and stopped doing it.
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:34 am

One on one competetive EDH is fine, if a very different format in terms of what's good. But yeah "regular" EDH has never been and should never be a truly competetive style of MtG

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:23 pm

So, they're doing a promotion coinciding with the launch of arena where you can build a deck out of any cards, and under some circumstances you might get to keep the cards you didn't have before.

Anyone have an awesome cardlist they think we should load in to take advantage of this?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:46 am

No clue. I just did what i normally do and played a shitty goblin deck to get my daily quests done so i can draft more.

New set seems fun. 4-0 a physical sealed event. LOVE the cards and theme. Some of the best top-down design I've seen in years.

OPened a REALLY cool looking alternate art rare foil .

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:18 pm

I've been struck my multiple inspirations for Commander. I normally have five decks built at a time: Three normal, legal decks and then one Nephilim deck and one silver-bordered deck.

Bone Miser in the C19 decks inspired me to make a new Glint-Eye Nephilim deck focusing more on the discard synergies instead of just being a mopey Voltron deck. And then Seven Dorfs in Throne of Eldraine has me wanting to dig out Depala and make the Dorfs In Cars deck that I always wanted to play in Brawl but no one wanted to play Brawl.

Also the Oracle updates with Eldraine have officially added "The Grand Calcutron can be your Commander." to that card's text so I need to use it.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”