Random MtG Thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random MtG Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:30 pm

John wrote:Oh I meant for pauper.

Well that Mono U deck is borderline pauper lmaoo
Have you found the yellow sign?

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

tombombodil wrote:

Yes, and I love it for that.

I don't play it much anymore because it was the first deck I built and then jammed bo1 with for a month straight and because it matches poorly against mono red burn which is 25% of the bo1 meta, but woah baby. You see people on reddit talking about how they didn't play events because they were waiting to build their teferi deck out of free cards after a thousand ladder games and it's like bro build the tempo deck out of the $5 starting pack, do bo1 events and make f2p progress at literally 1000% speed compared to ladder.

Also, get good playing against real decks.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:14 pm

John wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

Yes, and I love it for that.

I don't play it much anymore because it was the first deck I built and then jammed bo1 with for a month straight and because it matches poorly against mono red burn which is 25% of the bo1 meta, but woah baby. You see people on reddit talking about how they didn't play events because they were waiting to build their teferi deck out of free cards after a thousand ladder games and it's like bro build the tempo deck out of the $5 starting pack, do bo1 events and make f2p progress at literally 1000% speed compared to ladder.

Also, get good playing against real decks.

I think i mentioned this before, but one of the aspects I like about Arena is a slight charming return to something resembling "kitchen table magic" where people just play what they have and modify their decks as they get new card. Sure sometimes you get smashed by someone who forked out cash to build a super stacked deck, but it's not like that doesn't also happen all the time in paper-magic.

I've always LOVED hyper tuning budget decks as a challenge and even arranged several tournaments where your deck had to be worth 20$ or less on some cost aggregate site, and trying to get wins with a limited collection on Arena scratches a similar itch.

John
Host

Postby John » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22 am

I do too, I enjoyed playing holiday pauper long after I had all my elves (and one of that blue card but who cares about it, neither the card itself nor the custom art are great).

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:08 pm

My Ravnica Allegiance prerelease pool probably could've beaten any opponent in the room... except for the round clock.

I took an Orzhov kit and ended up with the most obvious Esper pool imaginable. Ethereal Absolution, Sphinx of Foresight, two copies each of Sphinx's Insight and Archway Angel, and all my Guildgates were on color (two Orzhov, two Azorius). I had a pretty fantastic suite of removal as well, so although I was lacking in the Afterlife creatures to really make the Orzhov grindy deck sing (am disappointed I didn't have enough creatures to make Priest of Forgotten Gods worthwhile), I could gain life and draw cards and easily last into the late game where Ethereal Absolution could take over. One of my Gruul-splash-Black opponents lamented to his friend how I'd gained 14 life in one game.

The issue, of course, was the clock. Every match went to game 3 and went to turns. Both matches I probably could have one with 1 to 3 more turns of attacks (Absolution is NUTS) but didn't have that opportunity. I should have reported a draw but I don't treat prereleases at this store as serious business and so we just high-rolled to give someone a win. This store plays four rounds and prizes are for 4-0 and 3-1 so draws do nothing, and as I said these events are not serious business to me. I lost both rolls and dropped after round 2.

Round 2 in particular is a big lesson-learned moment. I was unable to win because I assigned one too many Spirit tokens to block. We were in turns and I was in a hurry to end the game, so I did not properly take stock of how many cards my opponent had in hand and how many tricks they could pull to push lethal damage through with their trample creature. I also had not been doing the combat math on how much damage I could do on my next turn, so I did not realize that I'd be 2 short of lethal if one of my Spirits died in the block. So, especially when you're in turns, keep track of your opponent's mana, their cards in hand, and always run the combat math in your head to figure how you win.

Incidentally it'd be pretty nice if Vintage players could go nuts over Lavina and drive the foil price up for me.

In other news I really need the Orzhov Guild Kit when it comes out next month. My Teysa, Orzhov Scion commander deck has been one of my favorites and I really want both the alternate art Teysa and to be able to run every Teysa, both Ghost Dads, and Kaya in it. It'd be an interesting challenge to try to make the 97 of the Teysa deck such that I could randomly choose any Teysa to be the commander before play.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:18 pm

I'm pretty sure absolution is the best card in the set.

Spammy V

Postby Spammy V » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I finally put together a "real" Standard deck on Arena, spending my wildcards to finish out the new Izzet Drakes configuration with Pteramander. The Drakes playstyle somewhat appeals to me because it's a lot of tight play and answers backed up by a fast clock. You do have to be on your toes with Shocks, Spell Pierces, and Dive Downs, but you also have a lot of ability to draw yourself out of a mediocre hand as long as you can start chaining Opt/Discovery/Chart a Course. The midrange decks also seem to be off of Plaugecrafter and The Eldest Reborn so you can especially punish them with Dive Down and Spell Pierce. I might take a long look in the near future to see what I can cut to fit in at least a Banefire for Bo1 play, as sometimes when they do have the answers I'd like to have the chance to draw into an X=enough Banefire to win.

And for a different format, I've come to a realization: I don't like being at a Commander table where one or more people have fiddly synergistic decks. Watch a friend with a Sai artifacts deck take 5+ minute turns of playing artifacts (which means making Thopters and Myrs if it was a creature), handling copying triggers, death triggers, can tripping off of artifacts, tutoring for more artifacts so he can keep playing artifacts and thus have to manage MORE triggers... But that also goes for Enchantress decks that have like 4 Enchantresses out and something making them cheaper spending 5+ minutes going through one turn. Tatyova decks also count, as does anything that gets too deep into applying/removing counters. The long solitaire turns where it feels like there's no point in paying attention, but I can't just watch Bob Ross on my phone because I need to be half-listening for the one card they play worth responding to... It's not an experience I enjoy. I'm not against going into the tank if there is a complicated boardstate, and if things go long because a discussion erupts about someone choosing their attack target or whether they need to pop a board wipe that's fine, but the solitaire annoys me.

For much the same reason, using a tutor when it's not the last thing you do in your turn (and thus you pass and someone else's turn goes) annoys me but it's like the same issue or a less intense variation.
Spammy's Can

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:56 pm

Went 4-0 at the 21+ 10pm release event for War of the Spark. Had a solid Grixis control deck with a lot of removal and a couple decent rares.

The games in this format are really close and complicated, and it is definitely dominated by rares. I hate the design of the Gods for limited, getting around Exile is bullshit and leads to really bad gameplay.

Other than a that though I had a lot of fun.

Some standout nonrares I had,

The 3U planeswalker that makes 2/2s and then loots.

The 2U 2/2 flier that amasses 1

Spell gorger, 2R 2/2 that gets a +1 counter everytime you cast a non-creature spell.

Also amass plays pretty well and is very powerful. I haven't yet seen a card with amass that I wouldn't play.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

Spammy V

Postby Spammy V » Sun May 05, 2019 9:42 am

The Peasant Historic Cube has been shelved a bit as I got distracted by other things, but this set is enough to get me thinking about it again.

Mowu and God-Pharaoh's Statue are both fine, I'd be happy to include them. All the uncommon Planeswalkers I'm a bit more medium on. Part of it is because I don't know if I want to try to fit in enough Proliferate support, and part of it is because I feel like there's a huge gulf in their Limited playability. Angrath and Arlinn are sweet, but Huatli is extremely medium. Narset has proven better than I expected, but I still haven't seen someone put Dovin in their deck. And Teyo is not a card that I want to include. But I might pick one from each of the monocolored pairs to include in the cube.
Spammy's Can

Evil Tim
Teller of gaming stories

Postby Evil Tim » Wed May 22, 2019 5:11 am

Hey everyone!

Spoiler Seaon!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”