Random MtG Thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random MtG Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Gyro LC wrote:Here's the deck I was able to put together. My strategy focuses on cheap vampires and cheap flying. I had to add a few non-vampire creatures in order to have enough creatures. The side board is all of my remaining B/W and untyped cards.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Deck: Draft - Ixalan - BW vampires Image Image

//Lands
8 Plains
7 Swamp

//Spells
1 Contract Killing
1 Demystify
1 Duress
1 Ixalan's Binding
1 Mark of the Vampire
1 Queen's Commission
1 Rallying Roar
1 Vampire's Zeal

//Creatures
1 Anointed Deacon
1 Bishop's Soldier
1 Emissary of Sunrise
1 Encampment Keeper
1 Imperial Aerosaur
1 Kinjalli's Caller
2 Legion Conquistador
1 Paladin of the Bloodstained
1 Queen's Agent
1 Raptor Companion
2 Skittering Heartstopper
2 Skyblade of the Legion
1 Skymarch Bloodletter
1 Wanted Scoundrels

//Sideboard
1 Costly Plunder
2 Deathless Ancient
1 Desperate Castaways
1 Field of Ruin
1 Hierophant's Chalice
1 Legion's Judgment
1 March of the Drowned
1 Sunrise Seeker

Image Display deck statistics

Cut Duress for Legion's Judgement
Cut Encampment Keeper for Deathless Ancient
Cut Kinallil's Caller for another swamp

instead of typing out a paragraph for each of those choices I'll just leave it at that unless you want one or more explained in more detail.

Other than that the deck looks pretty solid :thumbup:
Have you found the yellow sign?

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:40 pm

Thanks, tom. I made the changes you suggested.

I played two practice matches against an experienced player with a R/W dinosaur pirate deck and beat him twice. The first was a runaway because I got wanted scoundrels our turn two and 4/3 is hella strong so early.

The second match was much closer. I came from behind thanks to the tricky combo of rallying roar and vampires zeal to untap during his attack and first strike his big guy.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm

2-1 and prizes in another Unstable draft. Naya... stuff. Mostly an Augment deck I guess. Could have focused on that more in hindsight. Angelic Rocket is a really good card even on its own. Hydradoodle is fine too but I needed the ETB trigger of Rocket more.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:40 am

Image Image

:think:

hmmmmmm

Grixis Artifact control gonna make a comeback? With Tezzeret and Thopter Foundary? And lotsa value artifacts w/ trading post maybe. Seems pretty bad, but in the upper tier of pretty bad.

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:33 am

Don't know about competitive formats but I have several EDH decks that wants to meet that card.

I really am enjoying this series of Reserve list work arounds.

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:36 am

Spammy V wrote:2-1 and prizes in another Unstable draft. Naya... stuff. Mostly an Augment deck I guess. Could have focused on that more in hindsight. Angelic Rocket is a really good card even on its own. Hydradoodle is fine too but I needed the ETB trigger of Rocket more.

I REALLY like Augment. I am for sure buying a box in the new year and will hopefully make a cube out of it. Unstable is so much fun to draft!!

I tried to put together a contraption deck last FNM but I was short a couple of back breaking contraptions..... and I neglected the low end of my curve..... I'm a noob. :(

Spammy V

Postby Spammy V » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:16 pm

Storm the Vault is interesting in that it's obviously good, but I'm not sure if it'll slot right into an existing deck. It might be a card that creates a deck. Affinity, Lantern Control, and Eggs will all have the artifacts but I don't think they need the blue. Not sure that Storm gets the artifacts necessary. Or maybe there's some kind of bizarre Eggs and Tron hybrid waiting for play.

Also having opened up and seen a lot of Unstable now, I think the people who said "It's a silver-bordered set and I don't want to do anything that's not practice for a real tournament" have really deprived themselves of an interesting Limited experience.

For one, the set is not that much of a joke. There are few cards that are ridiculous just because it's a joke. Many of the cards are exploring something that they'd never do in black borders in a way that is almost black bordered. Yes, they can set up difficult rules situations but they're rarely grotesquely overpowered. The set was designed to be a Limited environment and it shows in what I've been calling the "reality" of cards. For example, they would never print black-bordered cards that let you draw from an opponent's deck or put their cards in your hand. But they would make Hostage Taker, which is the "real" way they'd use that mechanic.

Augment is actually one of the most interesting mechanics to play with that I think they've created in a while. The crux of the what makes the mechanic interesting is that you're taking ETB triggers and applying a repeating condition to them. So what trigger and what effect add a lot of variance to your games. If you make a Half-Orc, Half-Pangolin in one game it'll be a very different creature than the Half-Orc, Half-Vacuum you make in another, even though they're both good creatures that can easily take over a game.

Contraption drafting is actually an interesting challenge I don't think we've ever seen in a Limited environment before. Contraptions take up slots in your 45, but not in your deck. You have to keep a close eye both on your Contraption deck and your playables. Contraptions are powerful (Some more than others. Safe bet if its symbol is gold or red it's really dang good) and in a format where game can end up grindy, getting a massive advantage every three turns can work. I nearly lost in my first draft to a guy who'd drafted around his Contraption deck.

I think that Unstable really rewards player experience. Drafting an Augment or Contraption deck is a challenge that rewards a high level of drafter skill. A lot of the cards also reward experience. How well can you read your opponent and get the Buzzing Whack-a-Doodle result that you want? Rules Lawyer gets better the more you know about State-Based Actions. And the more encyclopedic your knowledge of cards is, the better Modular Monstrosity gets.

So now when I look back on the comments I heard at the card store along the lines of "There's nothing valuable here" or "It's not a real set" or "I want to keep practice Ixalan drafting for (insert city event)" I'm saddened because it's an interesting Limited format that really does reward player experience.

Or just don't and never open up packs so I can get a box for cheap and ride the rising basic prices in the easiest game of Magic card economics there ever was.
Spammy's Can

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Spammy V wrote:Yes, they can set up difficult rules situations but they're rarely grotesquely overpowered. The set was designed to be a Limited environment and it shows in what I've been calling the "reality" of cards.

I agree. The first two unsets were not really playable. Wizards really took what they learned in the Conspiracy sets and really hit Unstable out of the park.

Spammy V wrote:Augment is actually one of the most interesting mechanics to play with that I think they've created in a while. The crux of the what makes the mechanic interesting is that you're taking ETB triggers and applying a repeating condition to them.

Augment really is incredible! At first I thought it was just going to be just funny but it makes for interesting game play.

SPammy V wrote:Contraption drafting is actually an interesting challenge I don't think we've ever seen in a Limited environment before. Contraptions take up slots in your 45, but not in your deck. You have to keep a close eye both on your Contraption deck and your playables.

Very similar to conspiracies in that regard.

Spammy V wrote:So now when I look back on the comments I heard at the card store along the lines of "There's nothing valuable here" or "It's not a real set" or "I want to keep practice Ixalan drafting for (insert city event)" I'm saddened because it's an interesting Limited format that really does reward player experience.

I might only be a filthy casual but I think those people have lost sight of the fact that Magic is a game that should be challenging and fun.

If they can follow this up with something of equal quality I hope to see 'un'sets enter the regular rotation of supplementary sets along side conspiracy.

Spammy V

Postby Spammy V » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Sweet holy moly it looks like WotC is tired of Tribal just sitting nervously in the back of the airplane so they're giving them a great big push out into the open air. The Forerunners are all sweet. Merfolk get some lords. Vampires get a lord and some sweet cards. The undercosted-but-reveal-a-card-of-the-tribe-from-your-hand cards are back.
Spammy's Can

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:35 am

Yup! I am a sucker for a tribal deck

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”