Random MtG Thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random MtG Thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Sun May 13, 2018 1:44 am

Sideboard is pretty standard with a few extra slots for non-creature based combo since this version of fish is SUPER soft to Storm, Ad Nauseum, Ironworks combo etc.

Here's what the board looks like as of a few hours ago when I made a few final revisions:

3 Tidebinder Mage
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Spell Pierce
2 Heroic Intervention
2 Natural State
2 Damping Sphere
2 Grafdigger's Cage

The list of potential sb cards is almost endless, but some specific one's I've been trying to squeeze in are: Cursecatcher 3-4 (like I mentioned above), a second Kopala, Vapor Snag/Echoing Truth, Deeproot Waters etc. But generally I'm softest to broad uninteractive combo and so heding my SB bets towards that is probably the safest bet.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Sun May 13, 2018 2:11 am

tombombodil wrote:Sideboard is pretty standard with a few extra slots for non-creature based combo since this version of fish is SUPER soft to Storm, Ad Nauseum, Ironworks combo etc.

Here's what the board looks like as of a few hours ago when I made a few final revisions:

3 Tidebinder Mage
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Spell Pierce
2 Heroic Intervention
2 Natural State
2 Damping Sphere
2 Grafdigger's Cage

The list of potential sb cards is almost endless, but some specific one's I've been trying to squeeze in are: Cursecatcher 3-4 (like I mentioned above), a second Kopala, Vapor Snag/Echoing Truth, Deeproot Waters etc. But generally I'm softest to broad uninteractive combo and so heding my SB bets towards that is probably the safest bet.

Since you have counter generation, Herald of Secret Streams makes merfolk unblockable without having to wait for islandwalk.
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun May 13, 2018 2:16 am

Gyro LC wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Sideboard is pretty standard with a few extra slots for non-creature based combo since this version of fish is SUPER soft to Storm, Ad Nauseum, Ironworks combo etc.

3 Tidebinder Mage
2 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Spell Pierce
2 Heroic Intervention
2 Natural State
2 Damping Sphere
2 Grafdigger's Cage

Since you have counter generation, Herald of Secret Streams makes merfolk unblockable without having to wait for islandwalk.

It's just to slow for modern, ie: costs to much mana. In a format where there are multiple 1-2 cost instant, blanket removal spells in almost every color, you can't pay 4 mana for a creature unless it can protect itself from removal (thrun the last troll) or generate immediate card advantage (Bloodbraid Elf, Master of Waves).

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat May 26, 2018 3:54 am

UG Merfolk 4 Rounds Swiss (5/25)

4 Kumena's Speaker
2 Curse Catcher
3 Merfolk Branchwalker
4 Silvergil Adept
2 Deeproot Elite
2 Merfolk Mistbinder
4 Lord of Atlantis
4 Master of the Pearl Trident
2 Merrow Reejerey
1 Kopola, Warden of Waves
1 Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca

4 Aether Vial
4 Spreading Seas
3 Epic Confrontation

4 Mutavault
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Botanical Sanctum
2 Reflecting Pool
1 Oboro
1 Minamo
4 Island

Round 1 vs Mardu Bedlam Reveler : 1-2

I had pretty luc-warm draws all night, and this round was no exception. I can't afford to draw extra lands or multiple Aether Vials against Gurmag Angler. Also never drew my outs for Ensnaring Bridge.

Important Cards:
Cursecatcher, Spell Pierce, Tidebinder Mage
Kolagan's Command, Ensnaring Bridge

Round 2 vs Jund : 1-2

Pretty bad draws again and the games were still close. Epic Confrontation is pretty bad vs decks with lots of removal when you're behind. This matchup is and has always been in my favor.

Important Cards:
Spreading Seas, Tidebinder Mage
Terminate, Thoughtseize

Round 3 vs ??? : 2-0-???

Opponent was a no-show. I ate a cheeseburger instead.

Important Cheeseburgers:
The one I was eating

Round 4 vs Grixis Death's Shadow: 1-2

This played out more or less as expected. I drew pretty poorly and mulled on the play game three which is REALLY bad against a deck with this many 1 for 1 removal spells and targeted discard effects

Important Cards:
Spell Peirce, Spreading Seas
Thoughtseize, ALL REMOVALLL

Thoughts. This tourney wasn't that representative of my decks average performance, but I do think I may have added one too many cards that are good, but not good enough in every situation. A deck like fish which is pure synergy with very few trump cards and a reliance on 2 for 1s and basic combat math to pull ahead can't run more than a bare handful of cards that aren't at least decent in the worse case scenario. And this version of the deck has drifted too far into cards that are powerful, but have one or more types of situations where their impact is extremely marginal or non-existent.

I'm going to rein those issues in by commting the following tweaks:

-3 Epic Confrontation
-2 Merfolk Mistbinder
-2 Deeproot Elite
-1 Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca

+3 Simic Charm
+2 Merfolk Trickster
+2 Cursecatcher
+1 Merfolk Branchwalker

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Mon May 28, 2018 12:44 am

Merfolk Trickster seems like it would be great against a fair number of decks. Anything that's going to rely on one big creature to be unbeatable in combat is vulnerable to blowouts. I had actually forgotten what the other two modes were on Simic Charm, but yeah it seems better at first glance than Dive Down.

So I got some cards ordered and my lineup of Commander decks is soon going to be: Teysa, Orzhov Scion; Edgar Markov (both making triumphant returns retooled with hot additions); Experiment Kraj (the winner of my new Commander search); Multani, Yavimaya's Herald (lostinthewoods.dec); and Uyo, Silent Prophet.

There have just been a lot of games where I wish I had the ability to exile someone's Commander as soon as they appear. Meren, Nekusar, Narset... Playing Teysa offers you a lot of control and psychological comfort. I've also kind of missed watching people play these decks I dislike and not being able to punish their slow start with Markov's two-creatures-makes-an-army pressure.

I also got into the beta for Arena! It's really just going to be a draft button for me, at least for a long time. Unfortunately there's no matchmaking right now, or only weak matchmaking. Nothing that's really matching on winrate or collection quality, I don't think. So pick your flavor of aggro and hope you curve out! If I couldn't draft on it, I don't think I would spend any money on it. The economy's just kind of a trainwreck at this point, and I really wish that they had copied Pokemon's system of making event awards and real-money purchases tradeable. We'll see how well it all turns out for Wizards though.

"Narset has Hexproof!" you say. "I've got Glaring Spotlight and five or six board wipes," I reply.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon May 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Spammy V wrote:Merfolk Trickster seems like it would be great against a fair number of decks. Anything that's going to rely on one big creature to be unbeatable in combat is vulnerable to blowouts. I had actually forgotten what the other two modes were on Simic Charm, but yeah it seems better at first glance than Dive Down.

The best part about trickster is that it's good in so many situations. If I'm behind, it can tap down a potential attacker to buy me some time, it can remove a critical ability on an enemy creature that's stopping me from developing my board, tap down a big blocker to enable the game winning swing, or even tap down an early blocker just to get through a few extra points of damage.

I think Simic Charm is going to over perform.

Spammy V wrote:So I got some cards ordered and my lineup of Commander decks is soon going to be: Teysa, Orzhov Scion; Edgar Markov (both making triumphant returns retooled with hot additions); Experiment Kraj (the winner of my new Commander search); Multani, Yavimaya's Herald (lostinthewoods.dec); and Uyo, Silent Prophet.

There have just been a lot of games where I wish I had the ability to exile someone's Commander as soon as they appear. Meren, Nekusar, Narset... Playing Teysa offers you a lot of control and psychological comfort. I've also kind of missed watching people play these decks I dislike and not being able to punish their slow start with Markov's two-creatures-makes-an-army pressure.

I also got into the beta for Arena! It's really just going to be a draft button for me, at least for a long time. Unfortunately there's no matchmaking right now, or only weak matchmaking. Nothing that's really matching on winrate or collection quality, I don't think. So pick your flavor of aggro and hope you curve out! If I couldn't draft on it, I don't think I would spend any money on it. The economy's just kind of a trainwreck at this point, and I really wish that they had copied Pokemon's system of making event awards and real-money purchases tradeable. We'll see how well it all turns out for Wizards though.

"Narset has Hexproof!" you say. "I've got Glaring Spotlight and five or six board wipes," I reply.

One day I will once again have time and space to play EDH. I look forward to that day.

Arena is meh. I really don't like the simulated "sitting across the table from your opponent" view angle, it makes the board hard to evaluate with more than a handful of creatures on each side. Every good digital CCG did an evenly spaced directly top-down view of the board and Arena should have followed suit

Spammy V

Postby Spammy V » Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 pm

Arena's image sizes are good, up until you get a really crowded board like you sometimes get from long Limited games where no one has profitable attacks so they're just trying to go wider and wait for a blowout card. There are some weird instances where cards end up off-center for no apparent reason.

My experience in constructed so far has been running a bad Vampires deck through the RNG to see whether I get a curve or not. And I could definitely spend the wildcards to make it better, but why would I? Would spending the wildcards to make the vampires deck better to grind with actually save me time instead of just ramming it against opponents as is? I mean in two weeks or whenever they bring back Rivals drafts I can start grabbing things to improve the Vampires deck, because their economy is so screwed up that drafting is the best use of your currency and it's not even close.
Spammy's Can

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue May 29, 2018 1:40 am

Spammy V wrote:Arena's image sizes are good, up until you get a really crowded board like you sometimes get from long Limited games where no one has profitable attacks so they're just trying to go wider and wait for a blowout card. There are some weird instances where cards end up off-center for no apparent reason.

My experience in constructed so far has been running a bad Vampires deck through the RNG to see whether I get a curve or not. And I could definitely spend the wildcards to make it better, but why would I? Would spending the wildcards to make the vampires deck better to grind with actually save me time instead of just ramming it against opponents as is? I mean in two weeks or whenever they bring back Rivals drafts I can start grabbing things to improve the Vampires deck, because their economy is so screwed up that drafting is the best use of your currency and it's not even close.

It's not just the size of the images, it's the angle, how they overlap, and the fact that they hide too much of the cards art and text too soon.

Spammy V

Postby Spammy V » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:23 am

Arena also has a bug/issue where it can't do a major update unless I wipe all my cookies and immediately restart or something because ~programming~.

Anyway, I'd be down to Commander at FtC with whoever's there.

With my local group I'm really starting to feel strongly that six players is my upper limit, even with the extra structure added by the Bang! roles. And those six people have to be sitting close to one another, I'm starting to really tire of people at the ends of the tables who have no idea what the other end is doing. Or the extra time lost to two people trying to plan something out and getting bogged down in trying to figure out what three or four other people will do. The amount of time lost with seven players annoys me a lot. If we have seven I would really like to break out into a pod of four and a pod of three.

But on the plus side tonight:
    The Uyo deck did what it's supposed to do: I Flashbacked an Increasing Confusion where X was ten to mill twenty cards, and then copied it twice to make someone pitch sixty cards.
    The Multani deck did what it's supposed to do: Have 66 lands and kill someone in one shot with some creature whose stats are equal to the number of lands I have.
Spammy's Can

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

I have 5 beta keys for MTG:Arena

if anyone wants one send me a PM
-Casey

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”