Random board game thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Leoff
Skies of Glass Historian

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Leoff » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:46 pm

I wouldn't trim it much -- you're right that if you have to or wish to replace the felt (with a picture, a chart, a compass star) it would be easier if you had something to get a grip on.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:42 am

(I'm lumping wargames in with board games for this post)

I'm really enjoying HeroClix but I think hanging out in a game store again is bad for me. Because I keep looking at the Warmachines/Hordes posters and seeing the 40k minis they have in display and think to myself "I should try mini painting again". Like no, I have too many creative hobbies and painting minis gets expensive fast. Plus I probably wouldn't even play the games with them if I did paint them because HeroClix is filling my desire to play a wargame quite well. You can draft with HeroClix, it's cheaper than those games, and its based on licensed characters.

Still, I can't help but look at some of the display case minis and think "man that would look awesome with THIS color scheme..."
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Postby Necronomitron » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:30 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:(I'm lumping wargames in with board games for this post)

I'm really enjoying HeroClix but I think hanging out in a game store again is bad for me. Because I keep looking at the Warmachines/Hordes posters and seeing the 40k minis they have in display and think to myself "I should try mini painting again". Like no, I have too many creative hobbies and painting minis gets expensive fast. Plus I probably wouldn't even play the games with them if I did paint them because HeroClix is filling my desire to play a wargame quite well. You can draft with HeroClix, it's cheaper than those games, and its based on licensed characters.

Still, I can't help but look at some of the display case minis and think "man that would look awesome with THIS color scheme..."

Why don't you repaint HC minis? People do it all the time, I'm sure. I know they do with X-Wing minis.

Also, WarmaHordes has some super delicious models. I love the aesthetics of that game. I don't even care that it costs.
Because it is (a bad thing).

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Necronomitron wrote:Why don't you repaint HC minis? People do it all the time, I'm sure. I know they do with X-Wing minis.

I'd be paranoid that I'd ruin them. Especially since the stats and stuff are in the base and they can't come off of their bases, so if the paint drips...

But it does occur to me that I own a decent selection of board games and a few do have quality minis. Black Fleet's ships may be getting painted soon.

EDIT:

Necronomitron wrote:Also, WarmaHordes has some super delicious models. I love the aesthetics of that game. I don't even care that it costs.

Also yes. There's no way i could ever spend $135 on a single miniature but if I had that kind of disposable income that Judicator colossal...

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 pm

(Mostly) Unrelated to my last post board game question:

How hard is being the imperial player in Star Wars Imperial Assault?

Generally I am the 'rule knower' of my board game group, I have never played Decent and not been the Overlord.

But I was thinking about maybe grabbing Imperial Assault (possibly in part thanks to another thread in this subforum about painting it's minis...) and my cousin is WAY more of a Star Wars geek than the rest of us, she especially loves Boba Fett. So I was thinking if I grab it and the Boba Fett expansion she'd probably want to be able to use him, and I'd love to try the player side of this type of game.

She's played a lot of mid weight board games with us (I say 'us', honestly our core board game group is her, my wife and I anymore so...) but we have not touched anything really heavy. She has played Pathfinder a couple times with me as GM but that's her only RPG experience (3 sessions). Like she's generally pretty quick to get rules for new games and all, but I worry that this might be a bit more than she's used to? But, I also have not played it, only watched Shut Up & Sit Down's review and how to play videos on it.

I suppose the smart thing to do if I grab it might be to be the imperial player the first game then hand it off to her after she gets the basics. But I doubt we'll be able to play more than one a month.

Necronomitron
TOFtBCH

Postby Necronomitron » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:53 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
Necronomitron wrote:Why don't you repaint HC minis? People do it all the time, I'm sure. I know they do with X-Wing minis.

I'd be paranoid that I'd ruin them. Especially since the stats and stuff are in the base and they can't come off of their bases, so if the paint drips...

That is literally why they make masking tape!

But it does occur to me that I own a decent selection of board games and a few do have quality minis. Black Fleet's ships may be getting painted soon.

Doooo eeeet!

Necronomitron wrote:Also, WarmaHordes has some super delicious models. I love the aesthetics of that game. I don't even care that it costs.

Also yes. There's no way i could ever spend $135 on a single miniature but if I had that kind of disposable income that Judicator colossal...[/quote]

I easily throw more money at miniatures than I do board/card/ or roleplaying games. I'm not saying I own the Mountain King, Glacier King, and Prime Axiom. But I'm not saying I don't either, lol. It's a lot harder these days since PP got strict with online retailers.

And yes, the Judicator has the sexies.
Because it is (a bad thing).

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:57 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:How hard is being the imperial player in Star Wars Imperial Assault?

Not too tough. I mean, yes, you need to know the rules better than anyone. And you have to make few more choices since you are controlling all the Imperial figures whereas each other player is only control one or maybe two Rebel Characters. But the game is super well balanced. Just follow the rules as written and you'll find a number of very tight games that literally come down to success or failure of a specific action (which action is different from game to game).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:02 pm

I couldn't help myself. I kickstarted Gloomhaven and ordered Terraforming Mars and Vast: The Crystal Caverns.

I couldn't pass up Vast. Each person chooses a role from a list of 5 or 6 different things. A dragon, a knight, a tribe of goblins, and thief, or the cave itself. And each role has a different goal and plays completely different from the other.

The knight is trying to kill the dragon, the dragon is trying to get out of the cave, the goblins want to kill the knight, the thief wants treasure, and the cave is trying to collapse itself before anyone achieves their goal.

GinDragon
I am the story stick

Postby GinDragon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 am

Ikoma wrote:
DistinctlyBenign wrote:How hard is being the imperial player in Star Wars Imperial Assault?

Not too tough. I mean, yes, you need to know the rules better than anyone. And you have to make few more choices since you are controlling all the Imperial figures whereas each other player is only control one or maybe two Rebel Characters. But the game is super well balanced. Just follow the rules as written and you'll find a number of very tight games that literally come down to success or failure of a specific action (which action is different from game to game).

Agreed. Just know that some of the rules are a little finnicky if you're playing competitively. The trick of the imperial player is really knowing when, what, and where to spawn stuff, and how to tempt players into making mistakes.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:27 pm

So in the 'What boardgames are you playing' thread I posted something like "I hate Twilight Imperium III. I play it every chance I get". (Well, I said 'every two years' but considering it's a board game that requires 8 people to give up an entire day, 'every chance I get' and 'every two years' are the same thing.)

Anyway, I thought I'd do a bit of a think and outline what it is I actually dislike about the game, and what it is that keeps me coming back to the game anyway. Maybe this can help me define my tastes a little better, maybe this will help you guys say 'Oh yeah, [other board game] is exactly what you're describing'. IDK. Maybe this is a waste of time! I'm still doin' it.

Anyway, what I like about TI3:

• Space Opera! I love the theme. I love tons of alien races clashing on an epic battlefield. I love fleets of spaceships.
  • Varied player races. Especially with the expansions adding in racial tech and race specific flagships, every race does feel different and has somewhat different strategies open to them.
  • The plastic ships! I am a sucker for neat components, and these ships are pretty detailed.
  • Strategy Cards & the fact that Strategy Cards are also initiative order. I've played other games that have similar mechanics (Puerto Rico), but I really like that they completely determine the order of play (As opposed to just changing who is 'first' player and going clockwise, as in Citadels), and I like that the 'secondary abilities' of the cards are sometimes quite different from the main abilities. (Not just like Puerto Rico where the player who picks a card generally gets a +1 to something)
  • Command Counters! I think these are such a fun resource to manage. A resource that forces you to balance between how large an army you can have, and how many of two different kinds of actions you can take on your turn? That's neat, and I don't think I've seen anything like it in any other board game I've encountered.
  • Tech tree! I'm just a nerd I guess. (Though, this can quickly become a negative if you're playing with players who don't figure out which tech they're going for early, so they look through the entire tree and take forever figuring out what they need every single time the Tech card comes up)
  • Modular hex space map. Not revolutionary or anything, but I still appreciate it.
  • The... idea of alliances and intrigue and politics and favors owed. I'm going to hit on this a lot in dislikes. But I do like it in theory.
  • And... while it's certainly also a negative point, I do kinda like the fact that this board game is an event. Last time my friends and I played it it involved driving down to Virginia and spending a three day weekend at my friends house and spending all day Sunday playing.

So. On to why this game is tedious and by the four hour mark I'm like 'why am I playing this?':

• Politics in practice. Actually, I'm... like 85% sure this is just my group of friends. But every time a politics card comes up it's like instantly voted for or shot down with almost no table talk. Never does anyone offer anything to anyone to influence a vote. Like, in my mind Politics cards should be some of the most interesting and tense decisions of the game. They add more rules you have to deal with for the rest of the game! Like, I imagine a lot of deliberation between 'this will really screw over the guy in first but it might also screw me over later' or 'this is really good for me but really bad for everyone else... I need to bribe people'. But whenever we play the person reads the card and everyone's just like 'I'm okay with that' or 'that's dumb' and voting is over in like 30 seconds. Ugh.
  • Player Elimination. Like, I'm not a big fan of Player Elimination in short games. In an 8 hour game? Like, someone gets eliminated three hours in and they're just like "Oh, okay I just I'll just awkwardly sit in the corner on my phone since my ride's still playing...". Luckily though, I've only ever experienced player elimination in the home stretch of the game (by the time everyone is sick of playing anyway...).
  • Alliances. Maybe this is just me, but they feel way too fragile. Like, all you get for them is trade goods. Trade goods are nice but... if you're on a planet I want it's worth giving up a couple trade goods. Maybe I'm going too far in the other direction here, but I think it would be really cool if you could have joint 'allied' winners? Like, you don't start the game on teams, but alliances develop during play and then you get to coordinate to take out the other players, and if one of you manages to get to 10VP you both win? Probably unbalanced, but I just think it's more fun than 'Well you're in the lead now so I need to break our alliance to screw you over'.
  • Combat. This is my main complaint. It's almost 100% RNG and you just sit there rolling D10's at each other until one of you retreats or one fleet is wiped out. It's not so so terrible in the beginning of the game, but it ramps up as fleets get bigger, and if you're not in a fight it's just 10mins of people across the table rolling dice at each other while you do nothing. I'm not adverse to dice for combat, I love plenty of board games that do it. But generally those games are all about minimizing your risk and maximizing the opponents risk, and you generally roll like, once per unit per turn? Like in Blood Bowl, you try to give your Blocking units as many +1's as you can and make sure you're hitting the most strategically advantageous opponent. And you can only block with each figure once per turn. But here, there are no pluses to give, There is no positioning advantage in terms of the numbers, and you Just. Keep. Rolling. If not for the fact that different ships hit on different numbers it would almost be as bad as Risk.

Also, since I'm here, some minor nitpicks. Not bad enough that'd I'd call them complaints but if FFG ever released a TI4 they could use some looking at:

• The Naalu are always at '0' initiative order. I mean, it makes sense for them as a race being psychic I guess, but the whole initiative order from the cards thing is so cool, and they're just like 'nah'.
  • Nekro Virus. They're a race that has the drawback of ignoring the Politics phase of the game. I mean, it's already hard enough to get my group to care about that phase then you go and give them a race that just lets them not care in character.
  • The actual generation of the map can sometimes screw over players. I had a game once where one guy ended up with only one nearby planet, everyone just put their hazard and empty space cards around his starting zone. Did not end well for him. Had a game another time where there was just a straight line of 'empty space' cutting through the board. In fact, empty space tiles in general are kind of BS. Just put planets or hazards in every square.
  • Too many bits and bobs. Comes with the territory, but I'm pretty organized (I have 3 Plano tackle box cases in my TI3 box) and it can still take a bit to find a random obscure token when we need it. Doesn't help that we have one player who always wants to play with ALL of the optional rules (We always talk him down to just like, 3 of the optional rules per game).

There. Hopefully that comes off as semi-coherent and not just as a giant rant...

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”