Random board game thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:There's an Amazon daily deal on board games and puzzles. I grabbed The Castles of Burgundy, it's $20 today (normally $42). San Juan is also cheap, $18 instead of $35.

Castles of Burgundy is one of my favorites. at $20 that might be the best value/hours you'll get for any game.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Glenn wrote:Castles of Burgundy is one of my favorites. at $20 that might be the best value/hours you'll get for any game.

I've never played it, but I know it's a well regarded Euro and I like euro's so I figured at $20 I didn't have much to lose.

I didn't grab San Juan because I have Puerto Rico already and, while I like it, I don't really think I need a card game version of it.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm

I'm making a resolution to get all of my unplayed games to the table. And then to get rid of the ones I don't see myself playing again.

The number of unplayed games is around 15. I own about 80 right now. I might be moving next year so i'm looking to get rid of all the ones we don't play.

Kind of an early new year's resolution (if i did that sort of thing.)

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:21 am

So my in-laws tend to Christmas shop for me off of my Amazon wishlist, and I am the type of person who throws a lot of stuff on my wishlist that just kinda sounds interesting but I didn't really look into.

Anyway, I ended up with Inis. I admit, I just liked the oddly shaped tiles and the idea of an area control game with card drafting. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:07 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:So my in-laws tend to Christmas shop for me off of my Amazon wishlist, and I am the type of person who throws a lot of stuff on my wishlist that just kinda sounds interesting but I didn't really look into.

Anyway, I ended up with Inis. I admit, I just liked the oddly shaped tiles and the idea of an area control game with card drafting. Has anyone played it? Thoughts?

I haven't played it, but reviews were mostly positive. There's a Game Night play through on YouTube. Also this short rules tutorial:

https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:21 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:So my in-laws tend to Christmas shop for me off of my Amazon wishlist, and I am the type of person who throws a lot of stuff on my wishlist that just kinda sounds interesting but I didn't really look into.

I haven't played it either. But I have played its sister game Kemet. and that one is REALLY good.

Inis has also gotten some very positive reviews.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am

Blood Bowl is getting a shorter, intro version called Blitz Bowl: https://twitter.com/BoardGameGeek/status/965312421471584258
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:

I haven't played it, but reviews were mostly positive. There's a Game Night play through on YouTube. Also this short rules tutorial:

I love it. It also got a glowing review from SU&SD which is usually all i need to know.

Have you found the yellow sign?

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 pm

tombombodil wrote:I love it. It also got a glowing review from SU&SD which is usually all i need to know.

I like SU&SD but I've found that not everything they recommend clicks with me/my group. They recommended Galaxy Trucker and that's been collecting dust since like 2 months after I got it. I enjoy it, but my group likes stuff with more actual strategy and less "Oh the dice rolled in a way you couldn't have predicted, your ship blows up."

Inis though... still hasn't hit the table. I've only played board games once since Christmas, and it was with my wife's family, not my normal group, so I didn't bring it. 2/3rds of my game group (Is it really a group if there's only 3 of us?) have work schedules that change weekly, so actually making plans anymore is a nightmare.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:33 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
tombombodil wrote:I love it. It also got a glowing review from SU&SD which is usually all i need to know.

I like SU&SD but I've found that not everything they recommend clicks with me/my group. They recommended Galaxy Trucker and that's been collecting dust since like 2 months after I got it. I enjoy it, but my group likes stuff with more actual strategy and less "Oh the dice rolled in a way you couldn't have predicted, your ship blows up."

Inis though... still hasn't hit the table. I've only played board games once since Christmas, and it was with my wife's family, not my normal group, so I didn't bring it. 2/3rds of my game group (Is it really a group if there's only 3 of us?) have work schedules that change weekly, so actually making plans anymore is a nightmare.

Kemet seems like it scratches a similar itch so I passed on Inis. I'm in the same boat with the game group. We had nine people showing up off and on. I bought a couple games that support 6 and 8 players. Now between different jobs and one getting married we're down to 3 regulars total.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”