Random board game thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:55 am

Best new board games from GenCon.

I think NMBR 9 looks really neat, I'll probably grab that.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm apparently behind the times, but there is going to be a Twilight Imperium Fourth Edition.

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:50 pm

I think Quinns, in his review of First Martians, just summed up why I've gotten sick of co-op games like Dead of Winter and Robinson Carusoe: They feel like a one player game that has rules for sharing the decision making.

There are co-op games I like. They tend to be the ones that either don't give you the time to talk much about what everyone should do (Space Alert) or have everyone kind of doing their own thing that's working towards the end.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:27 am

Mikel wrote:I think Quinns, in his review of First Martians, just summed up why I've gotten sick of co-op games like Dead of Winter and Robinson Carusoe: They feel like a one player game that has rules for sharing the decision making.

There are co-op games I like. They tend to be the ones that either don't give you the time to talk much about what everyone should do (Space Alert) or have everyone kind of doing their own thing that's working towards the end.

That's why I've stayed away from co-ops for the most part. Although i hoped that Dead of Winter wouldn't have the problem because of the secret goals. I've almost bought that a couple times, but never did.

The problem is only made worse when one player knows (or thinks they know) the game better than the other players. Then it becomes one player telling everyone what their best option is.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 am

Glenn wrote:
Mikel wrote:I think Quinns, in his review of First Martians, just summed up why I've gotten sick of co-op games like Dead of Winter and Robinson Carusoe: They feel like a one player game that has rules for sharing the decision making.

That's why I've stayed away from co-ops for the most part. Although i hoped that Dead of Winter wouldn't have the problem because of the secret goals. I've almost bought that a couple times, but never did.

The problem is only made worse when one player knows (or thinks they know) the game better than the other players. Then it becomes one player telling everyone what their best option is.

Sometimes you just have to make your own decision and let your gut lead you. Would-be Alpha gamers need reminders every so often that they aren't the only ones with worthwhile ideas. BUT, sometimes you should just let them have the reins, watch their plans go up in flames, and (while they wonder what happened to their perfect plan) the other players can regroup and work out a better plan for next time. If the Alpha wanna-be doesn't learn their lesson about overconfidence after a few games, then find another player to take their place.
Google+ profile
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:Sometimes you just have to make your own decision and let your gut lead you. Would-be Alpha gamers need reminders every so often that they aren't the only ones with worthwhile ideas. BUT, sometimes you should just let them have the reins, watch their plans go up in flames, and (while they wonder what happened to their perfect plan) the other players can regroup and work out a better plan for next time. If the Alpha wanna-be doesn't learn their lesson about overconfidence after a few games, then find another player to take their place.

Part of the problem is sometimes the Alpha Player's right. They've figured it out and everyone else doesn't matter that much to the process.

I'd prefer a lot of them if they were single player computer board games, honestly.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:13 pm

Big Warmahordes bundle over at Humble Bundle right now.

GinDragon
I am the story stick

Postby GinDragon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Mikel wrote:
Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:Sometimes you just have to make your own decision and let your gut lead you. Would-be Alpha gamers need reminders every so often that they aren't the only ones with worthwhile ideas. BUT, sometimes you should just let them have the reins, watch their plans go up in flames, and (while they wonder what happened to their perfect plan) the other players can regroup and work out a better plan for next time. If the Alpha wanna-be doesn't learn their lesson about overconfidence after a few games, then find another player to take their place.

Part of the problem is sometimes the Alpha Player's right. They've figured it out and everyone else doesn't matter that much to the process.

I'd prefer a lot of them if they were single player computer board games, honestly.

I like to remind Alpha Players that there is no extrinsic reward for winning a board game, (unless you're in a tournament or something) and sometime it's fun to try something sub-optimal.

I also often catch myself giving new players advice, and I think it's ok, as long as you frame it as an option rather than a command. I like to give more than one option, and and gently explain my reasoning- but even then usually only if they seem stuck. If it's a cooperative game and some is suggesting what I perceive as a bad move, I might ask what their reasoning is, but I'd never try to force someone to play a certain way.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:08 pm

There's an Amazon daily deal on board games and puzzles. I grabbed The Castles of Burgundy, it's $20 today (normally $42). San Juan is also cheap, $18 instead of $35.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Mikel wrote:Part of the problem is sometimes the Alpha Player's right. They've figured it out and everyone else doesn't matter that much to the process.

As one of those Alpha Players, let me say the key (for us) is once you have 'figured it out' to describe to other players how awesome they are going to be rather than order them around like pawns in your bigger game. AND to accept that sometimes part of the challenge is to 'figure it out... again' when another player decides to take a different action and not pushing back against that player.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”