Random board game thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:45 am

Have you guys tried looking on Meetup to see if there are any open boardgame groups? We have people that we regularly play with now that we didn't know 3 years ago.

YMMV of course. We've been fortunate to be able to use free conference room space at the library for the most part.
Google+ profile
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:54 pm

So one of my resolutions for this year was to have board game night at least once a month with my various friend groups, and something I've realized is that I don't actually have any games that take more than like 10 minutes to explain and 45 minutes to play.

Part of that is my love for simple, elegant, game design, and part of it is that games of that format generally get more use with a grab-bag of random friends who are likely not all down to play a really long complex game.

However not having any games at ALL that are reasonably complex and require a nice round meaty 90-120 minutes to play is a pretty big empty niche in my collection, so i think I'll be going through the back-catalog of old Shut up and Sit down reviews to see if I can find something that would fit that bill.
Have you found the yellow sign?

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:12 pm

I have the exact opposite problem: huge shelf full of games but on the rare occasion people actually want to play games they just want to play something quick. I own the 120 min games, but never get the opportunity to play them. This is mainly because my core gaming group is my wife and my cousin, and they both work jobs with schedules that change weekly anymore, and when days off do line up there's usually a movie out we all want to see instead...

I got Inis for Christmas and I still have not actually played a game of it. Just have not had a game night.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:25 am

With all the Battletech/Mech fans around here. I thought this was kinda funny.

Its tiny meeples in mechs. I won't be getting this unless the reviews are all amazing, and even then i might not. I've tried Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Quest and both were very average.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:13 am

Glenn wrote:With all the Battletech/Mech fans around here. I thought this was kinda funny.

Its tiny meeples in mechs. I won't be getting this unless the reviews are all amazing, and even then i might not. I've tried Tiny Epic Kingdoms and Tiny Epic Quest and both were very average.

I found the Tiny Epic games to be quite clever in their design- but they're definitely meant to be games that travel well. The mechanics for sure reflect that sensibility.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:37 am

GinDragon wrote:
Glenn wrote:With all the Battletech/Mech fans around here. I thought this was kinda funny.

I found the Tiny Epic games to be quite clever in their design- but they're definitely meant to be games that travel well. The mechanics for sure reflect that sensibility.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is my favorite of the three that I have tried. TE Quest is probably second. TE Defenders is pretty difficult, but is a solid co-op. I should be able to try TE Zombies before long. IIRC, one of my friends backed it.
Google+ profile
BGG profile
BGA profile

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:12 pm

I have Tiny Epic Western...

Its okay. I think the bullet dice it comes with are more interesting than the actual game.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:15 am

Someday I want to go to some second-hand stores, buy a whole armful of games with interesting pieces, take them home, keep all the pieces and throw away the rules and put it all in a box and label the game "Necessity".

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 am

Leoff wrote:Someday I want to go to some second-hand stores, buy a whole armful of games with interesting pieces, take them home, keep all the pieces and throw away the rules and put it all in a box and label the game "Necessity".

I've seen a number of piece pack sets over the years, but have never played any. The essential idea is that you have one box, a variety of pieces and cards, and a booklet filled with loads of games that all use those pieces. The most recent one I know of is here: https://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Board-Game-Introducing-piecepack/dp/0761185151
Google+ profile
BGG profile
BGA profile

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:41 am

Oh, I don't want any instructions. This is for free-form fun. "I move my mouse three jumps towards your robot." "Fine, but I've stacked all my chips under this shoe, so I can activate my Candlestick."...

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”