Random board game thoughts

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
User avatar
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion
Posts: 11389
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Random board game thoughts

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sun May 24, 2015 3:25 pm

I'm starting this thread because I normally post things about board games in the 'what board games are you playing?' thread, even if I'm not playing them. This seemed like a good topic to make for little things that I don't think need their own topics but I'd like to share.

Someone on reddit posted the rules for a game called So Long Sucker. You can play it with just 28 poker chips in four colors.

It seems interesting. I may see if people are interested in playtesting it this week sometime.

EDIT: Oh shoot, didn't even realize: This game is from 1950, the only reason it was posted to Reddit is because the guy who made it, John Nash died in a car accident yesterday.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 11152
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Tue May 26, 2015 4:19 pm

My friends don't get why I love games with great aesthetic design so much. I love non-standard boards and boxes, high quality chits and pips and tiles. I don't have the room for it but I have the inclination to collect board games the way you'd collect portraits.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
Evil Tim
Teller of gaming stories
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Evil Tim » Tue May 26, 2015 9:44 pm

:shh: Don't tell him that I actually understand but just play it off to seem aloof...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
tombombodil
3 for 3
Posts: 11152
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 pm
Location: Just south of the Barrow Downs
Contact:

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 am

Evil Tim wrote::shh: Don't tell him that I actually understand but just play it off to seem aloof...


Lol 'aloof' is one word for it.
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?
Have you found the yellow sign?

User avatar
Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Spammy V » Thu May 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Man Fantasy Flight really has a distinctive company style that you can see applied to a lot of their games, in terms of their formatting and mechanics.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

User avatar
clintmemo
Paid to GM
Posts: 22072
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am
Location: Louisville KY
Contact:

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby clintmemo » Thu May 28, 2015 7:33 pm

I would like to play more board games.
And my "more" I mean "more than none."
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

User avatar
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion
Posts: 11389
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 pm

clintmemo wrote:I would like to play more board games.
And my "more" I mean "more than none."


I support this. I don't have an RPG group, so Board Games are my outlet for tabletop gaming. Plus its often easier to drag new people into a lite board game than to get them to RP.

If you're looking for recommendations:

Ticket to Ride is a fantastic strategy game that is easy to learn. My hardcore gamer friends like to play this game, and my parents and nieces and nephews like it too. This is a great place to start for strategy.

Sheriff of Nottingham is a great way to go if you like bluffing and lite RP in your board games.

Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert are nice easy co-op games if you're not into the whole competition thing. Most people I've seen online say they like Desert more, I have both and I prefer Island.

Those are all lite-ish suggestions, though don't take that to mean they're boring games I love all of those. If you want some heavier stuff to play with more hardcore gamer friends I could certainly suggest some of those as well.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

User avatar
Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!
Posts: 7189
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Colfax, Louisiana

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Thu May 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Spammy V wrote:Man Fantasy Flight really has a distinctive company style that you can see applied to a lot of their games, in terms of their formatting and mechanics.


Their rule books, however, tend to require several readings before you actually know what's going on. Their inserts are also next to useless once you've opened the game and punched everything out.
Google+ profile
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

User avatar
Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!
Posts: 7189
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Colfax, Louisiana

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Thu May 28, 2015 10:50 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
clintmemo wrote:I would like to play more board games.
And my "more" I mean "more than none."


I support this. I don't have an RPG group, so Board Games are my outlet for tabletop gaming. Plus its often easier to drag new people into a lite board game than to get them to RP.

If you're looking for recommendations:

Ticket to Ride is a fantastic strategy game that is easy to learn. My hardcore gamer friends like to play this game, and my parents and nieces and nephews like it too. This is a great place to start for strategy.

Sheriff of Nottingham is a great way to go if you like bluffing and lite RP in your board games.

Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert are nice easy co-op games if you're not into the whole competition thing. Most people I've seen online say they like Desert more, I have both and I prefer Island.

Those are all lite-ish suggestions, though don't take that to mean they're boring games I love all of those. If you want some heavier stuff to play with more hardcore gamer friends I could certainly suggest some of those as well.


There are so many good games out now that it's hard to give a definitive answer for where to start. If you can try a game out before you buy it, I think it helps narrow down your likes and dislikes. I find it hugely helpful to watch reviews and play throughs, too. My go to channels are Watch It Played and the Dicetower. TableTop is also decent, though they tend to skip over specifics in the interest of entertainment.

As far a starting recommendations go, try by type:
cooperative- Pandemic or Forbidden Island
deck building- Ascension (free app on iOS) or Star Realms
worker placement- Lords of Waterdeep or Stone Age (free on BoardgameArena)
tile placement- Carcassonne, Galaxy Trucker, Neuroshima Hex (all have apps), Lanterns
abstract- Hive, Hey That's My Fish, The Duke
drafting- Sushi Go, Seven Wonders
dice- King of Tokyo, Las Vegas, Kingsburg
area control- Smash Up, Kingdom Builder, Small World
cards- Love Letter, Hanabi, Coloretto, No Thanks
hidden role/bluffing- The Resistance, Mascarade, Spyfall, One Night Ultimate Werewolf
resource/building- Splendor, Jaipur (Boardgame Arena), Suburbia, Caverna (big meaty game, not for the faint of heart)
other- Survive: Escape From Atlantis, Takenoko (BGA), Five Tribes
Google+ profile
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

User avatar
Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Random board game thoughts

Postby Spammy V » Fri May 29, 2015 12:13 am

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:
Spammy V wrote:Man Fantasy Flight really has a distinctive company style that you can see applied to a lot of their games, in terms of their formatting and mechanics.


Their rule books, however, tend to require several readings before you actually know what's going on. Their inserts are also next to useless once you've opened the game and punched everything out.


The Rulebooks thing is... yes. I had a couple of puzzling moments over the rules of Blood Bowl Team Manager today, things that make sense logically (and one was answered in an example) but weren't outright stated in the rulebook.

But by inserts do you mean the cardboard sheets the pieces come in, or the cardboard spacer they put into the box? The spacers are still useful to me, but I have a habit of bagging up all my game components so they don't scatter around the box.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things


Return to “Other Tabletop Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron