Good people who are bad winners/losers

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Good people who are bad winners/losers

Postby Hyperion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:34 pm

I've done a few of the modern board games at a small local gathering / con (GarageCon!) that were either co-op or less "me vs you" and I enjoyed them. It really doesn't help that I'm fairly anti-social and not comfortable around larger groups. Makes going to large comic-cons an interesting prospect.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 am

Hyperion wrote:I've done a few of the modern board games at a small local gathering / con (GarageCon!) that were either co-op or less "me vs you" and I enjoyed them. It really doesn't help that I'm fairly anti-social and not comfortable around larger groups. Makes going to large comic-cons an interesting prospect.

Yeah. In some ways I've found that gaming conventions can be a decent place for helping to cope with that. Table Top gaming conventions more than Comic-con. You're there with a bunch of people who in theory share similar interest, and having a default thing to all do together can help to mitigate the anxiety of social interaction. The games serve as a sort of middle-man that does some of the work for you.

And it's always easy enough to retreat to the hotel or wherever if you need a breather. Definitely gaming cons over Comic-con or PAX which tend to have way more frenetic motion and just bustle.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Hyperion » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 am

I should have clarified that I go to Comic-Cons to get creator signatures and shop the discount bins more than anything. I haven't gone to many cons (mostly 1 day local affairs) and the gaming room/area is usually fairly small. If I'm alone or with a friend, I might cruise through to see what's available, but haven't used it as a break in my day to play a game.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”