Good people who are bad winners/losers

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Good people who are bad winners/losers

Postby tombombodil » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

BottledViolence wrote:I look at it as any game worth playing is worth winning. Having said that, there are games where I play to win and there are games where it is an excuse for something else. Cards Against Humanity is mostly about hilarious combinations and goofing around, but I still want to win. :lol:

Also, one persons poor sport is just getting into it to others. When my buddies and I play video games, we talk trash, rub each others faces into every defeat, and never under any circumstance admit the other guy played better. If you lose at chess, it was luck or the other guy cheated! :lol: That's the fun of it, that's why we play. Its more about the shit talking and messing with each other than the game. Take that away and the fun is gone.

I feel you, and depending on the friends I'm with my game nights can be a lot like that too but there's a big difference between good natured trash-talk and relentless whining.
Have you found the yellow sign?

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I've caught myself whining here and there, nothing too heavy, but what I realized is that it's a way to vent about the game situation not being ideal for my personal strategy.

What I can't stand, is someone who goes on tilt, who won't say anything but "this is bullshit, it's impossible for me to win" and fumes the whole time about how the game is unfair and it sucks. It's as if they've given up altogether on having fun. The secret here is not to tie your fun to whether you win or lose, because if you do, there will be instances where you're gonna have a bad time.

Nny
Holder of The Stabbing Screwdriver

Postby Nny » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:07 pm

I like to think I'm a good loser. Until playing Star Wars:Imperial Assault. I lost 9 out of 11 games. Our first campaign I kept it cool and chalked my losses up to "learning from my mistakes." Now that we're in to our second campaign and Ive only won 1 out of 3 games, I am finding it harder to keep my composure when victory is snatched from my hands due to a lucky dice roll. Or unlucky, in my case.

Nny

Postby Nny » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Didn't realize this thread hasn't been active for a year!

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Nny wrote:I like to think I'm a good loser. Until playing Star Wars:Imperial Assault. I lost 9 out of 11 games. Our first campaign I kept it cool and chalked my losses up to "learning from my mistakes." Now that we're in to our second campaign and Ive only won 1 out of 3 games, I am finding it harder to keep my composure when victory is snatched from my hands due to a lucky dice roll. Or unlucky, in my case.

In IA, were you the Imp player, or one of the Rebs?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Nny wrote:Didn't realize this thread hasn't been active for a year!

Yeah and I was thinking about it after a board game night with the person who inspired me to make the thread in the first place. It's rough, especially when the person is so amazingly nice all the rest of the time. I have friends who are pretty curmudgeonly, who get riled when they lose, but its in that entertaining, mostly good-natured kinda way. It's when people get legitimately sour-faced and bitter when things begin to go even slightly poorly for them that it really starts to grind me gears.

Nny

Re: RE: Re: Good people who are bad winners/losers

Postby Nny » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:17 pm

GinDragon wrote:
Nny wrote:I like to think I'm a good loser. Until playing Star Wars:Imperial Assault. I lost 9 out of 11 games. Our first campaign I kept it cool and chalked my losses up to "learning from my mistakes." Now that we're in to our second campaign and Ive only won 1 out of 3 games, I am finding it harder to keep my composure when victory is snatched from my hands due to a lucky dice roll. Or unlucky, in my case.

I was/am the Imperials

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: RE: Re: Good people who are bad winners/losers

Postby GinDragon » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:21 am

Nny wrote:
GinDragon wrote:

I was/am the Imperials

In my experience, the game is designed for the Imp player to lose most of the time, to maximize the fun for the table. At least in the campaign. I've played I think four of the missions so far and only won one of them. I approach it more like D&D- If everyone has had fun, then I win. The game has kind of a snowball effect, too. The more a player wins, the more advantages they have for future missions.

Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Hyperion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:19 pm

I have a problem with this myself. If I'm playing a board game, I want to win and I get upset when I don't (It's a failure of the soul or some such.). I solve this by simply not playing a lot of board games, though I am trying to engage once in awhile.

Admittedly, the best time I can recall having playing a boardgame in recent memory is a game of Monopoly that I dominated not by overwhelming the other players and forcing them out of the game, but by keeping the two weakest players IN the game with loans and cheap single properties to confound the other two while I swept up more property and built. By the end of the night I had control of at least 2/3 of the board and could have bought out the rest of the players without breaking the bank.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:23 pm

Hyperion wrote:I have a problem with this myself. If I'm playing a board game, I want to win and I get upset when I don't (It's a failure of the soul or some such.). I solve this by simply not playing a lot of board games, though I am trying to engage once in awhile.

Admittedly, the best time I can recall having playing a boardgame in recent memory is a game of Monopoly that I dominated not by overwhelming the other players and forcing them out of the game, but by keeping the two weakest players IN the game with loans and cheap single properties to confound the other two while I swept up more property and built. By the end of the night I had control of at least 2/3 of the board and could have bought out the rest of the players without breaking the bank.

Something that might help, and that I've tried, is playing board games that are either co-op, or have minimal interaction even when you're each striving to be the first to reach some goal. Games like these can avoid the types of situations that tend to trigger the knee-jerk "get upset about it" response.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”