What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Sun May 31, 2020 9:19 am

Mikel wrote:Feast for Odin was one I wanted to try on TTS sometime. It seems great.

It is a lot of fun. It's very long and sedate and pretty complicated, but it's also very relaxing and perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon. I personally think it would lose more than most boardgames in digital form because it's just so tangible and wonderfully tactile, but it'd still probably be worth playing.

The designer did such a good job iterating on his own ideas that he essentially made his previous games (Agricola and Caverna) obselete.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:41 pm

I got the tiles for Forbidden Island printed out 8" a side, on card stock, to make a driveway version of the game. For the flame token, we used a tabletop tiki torch; for the goblet, a big brass goblet (SCA feast gear); for the globe, I got Ray to make me a stand for a croquet ball, from a gnarled chunk of cherry tree. I told the kids I was planning to play the game with we could use a plushy for the griffin, and they selected one of theirs and added paper wings. For the pawns, I found a few feet of 3" basswood, and Ray cut it in sections for me and I painted the top and about an inch down with the correct colours.

It worked out quite well. The intent was to make a version of the game where only one person touches the actual cards and everyone can stay six feet away from anyone they aren't living with. We managed that for quite a while, and if we'd actually insisted on it it could have been done.
Also it was just nice to play a game sitting out on the porch in the early evening, that happy stage after the heat of the day and before the evening bugs.

Oh -- we lost on the second last turn. We had all the pieces, only two were not back at Fool's Landing, and the waters rose .

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 am

Amy and I just wrapped the month of April in Pandemic Legacy Season 1. This is when C0DA mutates again into turning its victims into the Fallen halfway through the game. We drew Taipei immediately after updating the ruleset so that's our ground zero. We drew a couple more C0DA cities from the infection deck before winning so the zombie plague is definitely up and running and out of control.

Really enjoying it so far. We 0-2'd January, first by running out of red cubes and second by maxing the outbreak track with cascades in the China/Korea/Japan zone (which put us on track to run out of red cubes again of course). I puckered up for a minute thinking this game was maybe too hard for a team of one rusty doctor and one who had only played the game once before. Before we'd won a single game we had several cities at 1-2 instability and one, Beijing, at 3 (our Beijing is absolutely cursed and has either been in the initial 9 infections, or pulled later from the bottom of the deck for a triple-drop epidemic, in all five of the games we've completed so far).

But we quickly built an engine out of the endgame upgrades pilot for me, coworker for both of us, and a bunch of the virus nerfs which allows me to basically hand my cards to her at will for 2 actions a piece. In retrospect we sort of just reinvented the time honored researcher/scientist pairing with the (substantial) added benefit of not needing to be in the same city to pass off. I think we've had a single outbreak in the three games since we started doing that, and have never come even close to losing on cubes or cards. So now I've swung straight back around to thinking maybe we made it too easy, but I'm sure it will get plenty worse with the funded events having shriveled from a Feb 1 total of 8 to a May 1 total of 2 and the catastrophic mutation that occurred in mid April now ruining our lives.

Either way this is a great game that's justly among the crown jewels of the present board game renaissance.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:22 am

John wrote:Amy and I just wrapped the month of April in Pandemic Legacy Season 1. This is when C0DA mutates again into turning its victims into the Fallen halfway through the game. We drew Taipei immediately after updating the ruleset so that's our ground zero. We drew a couple more C0DA cities from the infection deck before winning so the zombie plague is definitely up and running and out of control.

Really enjoying it so far. We 0-2'd January, first by running out of red cubes and second by maxing the outbreak track with cascades in the China/Korea/Japan zone (which put us on track to run out of red cubes again of course). I puckered up for a minute thinking this game was maybe too hard for a team of one rusty doctor and one who had only played the game once before. Before we'd won a single game we had several cities at 1-2 instability and one, Beijing, at 3 (our Beijing is absolutely cursed and has either been in the initial 9 infections, or pulled later from the bottom of the deck for a triple-drop epidemic, in all five of the games we've completed so far).

But we quickly built an engine out of the endgame upgrades pilot for me, coworker for both of us, and a bunch of the virus nerfs which allows me to basically hand my cards to her at will for 2 actions a piece. In retrospect we sort of just reinvented the time honored researcher/scientist pairing with the (substantial) added benefit of not needing to be in the same city to pass off. I think we've had a single outbreak in the three games since we started doing that, and have never come even close to losing on cubes or cards. So now I've swung straight back around to thinking maybe we made it too easy, but I'm sure it will get plenty worse with the funded events having shriveled from a Feb 1 total of 8 to a May 1 total of 2 and the catastrophic mutation that occurred in mid April now ruining our lives.

Either way this is a great game that's justly among the crown jewels of the present board game renaissance.

I envy your chance to play it fresh. We really enjoyed our play through, and I've been itching to try another legacy game like it.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

John
Host

Postby John » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:53 pm

We've now beaten Pandemic Legacy Season 1 through September without losing any more than the 0-2 drubbing we took in January. Spoilers through September.

C0DA has completely overrun Asia and the Pacific Rim, all red cities are faded. No cities are yet collapsing or fallen but level 2 and 3 riots are blowing up all over Asia and in a few pockets of Africa and South America. Europe, North America, and the Middle East are basically untouched. All routes across the Pacific Ocean are permanently blockaded, as are several routes within mainland Asia. C0DA has taken the eastern flank of India in the black region but is otherwise contained to the red region. Permanent military bases have been constructed in all six global regions, and the blue and yellow viruses have been studied to the point that the scientist can develop a cure in the field with relatively few resources.

The virologist and epidemiologist have been located, deep in faded Asia. The virologist said that the government has been giving us placebos the entire time and the epidemiologist said that the virus is man-made. He thinks he can synthesize a vaccine but we need to get him the virus' DNA structure and design files, in addition to the information the virologist already provided.

At the beginning of September, the government requested we find a "paranoid soldier" who is going around telling people C0DA is man-made. Of course we have no plans of handing him over to the government and hope he can provide the files the epidemiologist needs. But we successfully won the month on cures, bases, and quarantines before he could be found.

The generalist and the scientist who have shouldered most of the effort this year are beginning to buckle under the pressure. The generalist has two scars and the scientist one. The operations expert has begun to take on some of the generalist's duties. His Army resources and his rivalry with the scientist make them a formidable search party, and it never hurts to be able to rapidly build a medical center on the spot.

As the team prepares to face October, the government informs them that riot equipment and grenades are now available. The government also authorizes them to permanently sterilize a single city with an atomic bomb. They decline in favor of continuing to rely on their strategy of using quarantines, roadblocks, and military bases to pacify the fallen and maintain order while rushing to stay ahead of the other three diseases in the laboratory.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:18 am

quarantine killed my dnd game and i haven't felt like buying new board games for quite a while. Now that a couple family members can meet weekly we decided to play some of the longer heavier games i have multiple times instead of moving on to the next thing. My tolerance for learning new games has dropped a ton in the past two years.

First up is Merchants & Marauders. We're two games in and have gotten the play time down to about two hours for a three player game. The plan is to play at least four games before moving on to something else.

There has been very little marauding so far. So its been a pick up and deliver game where you try to avoid NPC pirates and Navy ships your country is at war with. I expect the next few games will have a lot more combat just because everyone has been going merchant.

This is not a game for someone who can't handle a lot of randomness. This is about dealing with what the game and your dice rolls dish out. This is a game where all of your plans can be foiled by pop up storms or an NPC pirate randomly showing up in the sea area next to you.

John
Host

Postby John » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:51 pm

And after one more month of Pandemic Legacy 1 (spoilers through November setup):

I really wish they would have signaled to us that the army bases represented the fortresses of the obviously evil government/conspiracy/deck and the research labs were benign. We've known the jig was up ever since recovering the virologist a couple months ago, it would have been nice to be able to position accordingly. This is probably my first big fault with this game.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:37 am

Finished Pandemic Legacy Season 1 yesterday, wrap-up of November and December and final impressions in spoilers.

November was our first and, as it turns out, only month with the objectives provided by the completed vaccine. We easily blew up two more paramilitary bases, constructed three vaccine factories, and cured the three normal diseases. Upgrading one of the vaccine factories to permanent status and giving the operations expert the "shady background" ability to blow up paramilitary bases with merely the matching color card rather than the matching city card itself, we headed into December...

And got spanked in the first half. We maxed the outbreak track without even trying to find the stockpile and only having vaccinated four or five infected cities. But it wasn't all for nothing. The operations expert blew up the final paramilitary base, which was constructed in Osaka with the final permanent base sticker, ridding the world of the conspiracy's ground forces once and for all. He also built two more vaccine factories, which were upgraded to permanent status at the end of the half-month. The world's air transportation network was basically restored, and half of it was pumping out vaccine doses rapidly. The operations expert and the scientist both gave their lives to buy time to vaccinate a few more cities, making heroic sacrifices to stop the infect deck from doing its damage despite having no further room for scars. They knew that the only hope for success was in two of their surviving teammates doing the entire job in the second half of the month.

Their sacrifices were not in vain. In the second half of the month, the medic and the immunologist came off the bench for the first time. The team completely abandoned vaccine development of the three conventional diseases, relying on the medic to control disease hotspots on the ground while the immunologist wandered Asia and vaccinated the Faded. Cards were used for nothing but a quick flight to Atlanta to dump the search track two or three steps forward and then a quick flight back to the conventional disease hotspots for the medic and Faded territory for the immunologist.

This strategy was effective. The team blew up the stockpile and then finished off C0DA with only one outbreak in an otherwise undisturbed Buenos Aires to pay for it. At last, the war was over.

We added up the score and got somewhere in the high 600s. This gave us the second-best victory text. The peaceful global order of modern civilization was momentarily shattered by C0DA, but the disease was eradicated over the course of several months and the conspirators behind it were caught and convicted. Riots were widespread in C0DA-ravaged Asia but isolated elsewhere. Osaka was the lone collapsing city, and no city tore itself all the way down to Fallen. The operations expert and the scientist were killed in the course of their labors, the generalist will never sleep an undisturbed night again, and the treacherous quarantine expert will die behind bars.

===

Overall, this was a very fun game. A solid 8/10. It was a satisfying set of variations on basic Pandemic and I was always looking forward to the next month. The event deck and the advent calendar always gripped our curiosity and we frequently sat down for "just one" play that become two or three.

Gentle criticisms: The plot was a bit of a cliche-strewn railroad. I enjoyed the sensation of playing a zombie game and being genuinely surprised when the zombie outbreak happens (usually there's a zombie on the cover or in the game description that rather gives it away) but once we got on that ramp, they didn't really do anything with it that wasn't the strictest vanilla. The big lategame reveal was that the government was in on it. I was less than shocked. I couldn't help making continual unfavorable comparison to Deus Ex, where the government is in on it too but you can actually figure this out and take steps to oppose them before you turn over the plot card that says ok now it's time to flip. I wish there was some mechanic for doing that here as we had figured out the mission deck were the bad guys quite a while before the game allowed us to start opposing them.

Also, scoring. Missing one of the four searches by one month cost us 200 points. This is the equivalent of losing TEN GAMES out of the potential 24 (we actually lost 3). That's too harsh. For that kind of punishment they really needed to signal to us that we needed to stop winning games with cures/quarantines/bases and get the searches done. If the players go undefeated through the summer and fall but win a single one of those games without doing a search track (and we did, once) then Team Bravo shows up and you basically go from being scored like you batted .900 to being scored like you batted .550. Yuck.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I'm sure we will play Season 0 at some point. I'm told that's the one to go to next and is quite better than Season 2.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 am

I've been playtesting a game I'm working on, "Where Do You Put Your Backpack When You Fight?". It's a tile-flipping exploration and loot-management game. It's playable, economic of table-space, and fits in a 5" square box, and takes about half an hour to play. It can be solo, duo, multi, and/or co-operative.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”