What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm

Nny wrote:
okeefe wrote:I've played a bit of Root for the last two years with friends at conventions, but the big reprint & newest expansion bundle arrived last month and I've been digging in, teaching friends, and playing it a bit.

I'm getting better at teaching Root, but it's at the upper end of what I'm comfortable with rules-wise for a board game. I love that's it's highly replayable.

I love Root. I've played many times and taught it just as many and i STILL feel like i learn something new about each faction every single time.

My group loved Root right up until we were all completely familiar with all the rules and knew each faction front-to-back. Then we found that it didn't quite hold up as pure strategic war game, which is fine because it has so much else going for it, the variety, the art design and theme, the joy of learning how all the different factions and maps interact etc.

I actually wish I had gotten the first expansion sooner. My group is pretty darn competitive, and when we find a strategy game we like we play it a LOT (we've probably played Terra Mystica 40 times over the past 3 years). I usually deliberately wait a while between expansions for such games so that we have time to really milk what we have for all it's worth, and in the case of Root that was a mistake.

We still like it, but after our last few games I don't think my friends are going to want to play it again. I have some other friends who might be interested in it though, so I might be able to start over and at least have fun showing it to new people even if the mystery of it isn't there for me anymore.
Have you found the yellow sign?

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

There’s the new Underground expansion with another pair of maps and two new factions, and also there’s an alternative deck. I’m starting my local friends with the base game for now.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:59 am

I'm working out rules for St. Patrick Goes To Catan, for a board games afternoon hosted by the library. (see note in Game Designers thread.)

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Sun May 24, 2020 6:40 pm

we've been playing charterstone since quarantine. really fun legacy game
-Casey

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Mon May 25, 2020 7:45 am

We played Burgle Brothers last night, and very nearly won! We actually found the third safe, cracked the safe, found the stairs... and then the guard moved onto us.
It's a good co-op game, very challenging, a bit fiddly to set up but once you get the hang of it not bad. It does require a 3 foot strip of flat surface to set up on. I'm thinking of simplifying setup by making tablecloths with the walls painted on, so you just lay out the tiles, and only cover a wall if you've blown it up.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 am

Leoff wrote:We played Burgle Brothers last night, and very nearly won! We actually found the third safe, cracked the safe, found the stairs... and then the guard moved onto us.
It's a good co-op game, very challenging, a bit fiddly to set up but once you get the hang of it not bad. It does require a 3 foot strip of flat surface to set up on. I'm thinking of simplifying setup by making tablecloths with the walls painted on, so you just lay out the tiles, and only cover a wall if you've blown it up.

Burgle Bros. is such a great game. I've only played on my tablet though, so I can't quite imagine having to set it up. You know it's a table hog when the kickstarter has a tier for a special scaffolding to hold each floor of tiles above the others.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:
Leoff wrote:We played Burgle Brothers last night, and very nearly won! We actually found the third safe, cracked the safe, found the stairs... and then the guard moved onto us.

Burgle Bros. is such a great game. I've only played on my tablet though, so I can't quite imagine having to set it up. You know it's a table hog when the kickstarter has a tier for a special scaffolding to hold each floor of tiles above the others.

Our playing area is 30' by 36', and it's just a bit crowded at the ends, but only a bit. The other components don't takeup much space.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat May 30, 2020 4:43 pm

In my effort to wrangle up the best 1 player games I can I finally ordered my own copy of A Feast for Odin. I've never played it 1 player before but I've heard good things. Excited to try it out.

Also opened my copy of Mage Knight for the first time in years. Still holds up as a great single player game.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat May 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 pm

Feast for Odin was one I wanted to try on TTS sometime. It seems great.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”