What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby tombombodil » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:23 am

Morgan_Lockbreaker wrote:
tombombodil wrote:More brass Birmingham. This is rapidly becoming one of my all time favorite management games if not most favorite.

Brass is good, but we had at least one different rule wrong in our first 3 or 4 plays.

We didn't do quite that bad. But mostly because I'd played original "not nearly as good" Brass back in high school and the rules are largely the same.

Now Terra Mystica that's one we took probably 5-6 playthrough to get everything right. An di cover to covered that rulebook multiple times before our first playthrough and between each session.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:12 am

tombombodil wrote:Now Terra Mystica that's one we took probably 5-6 playthrough to get everything right. An di cover to covered that rulebook multiple times before our first playthrough and between each session.

Terra Mystica is one that I tried to learn by playing on the iOS app. Certain games REALLY don't benefit from having all the steps done automatically and quickly. It was just confusing.

I've been playing the iOS app for Santorini, a game I love, and it can be hard going against the AI.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:22 am

Love to hear Brass and Santorini brought up, because it gives me a chance to brag- I know the publishers personally!

And in the case of Santorini, I know the designer! Was at a game retreat with him in November. we had a nice chat about life over breakfast.

I've actually had a hankering to play Brass recently. I think I can reasonably say it's my current favorite euro.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:45 pm

So after putting it off for YEARS, I finally picked up played through the base campaign of Arkham Horror TCG. Once through with a single friend of mine in a 2 player game, then again with a full 4 person grou. It's GREAT. It's so much fun. It's amazing how much variety they get out of just cards and a bag of tokens, and the writing and dynamic story-telling are often great and occasionally silly.

The only thing to note is that it is definitely half co-op card game, and half horror roleplaying game, and if you only engage with the card game half you're probably gonna get bored and/or frustrated. This isn't a game you play to win and nothing else, because you can absolutely play perfectly and still get the worst ending to each scenario, but you can't actually "lose", no matter what happens you get to go onto the next scenario all the way to the end of the campaign, and if you can't embrace the grim tragedy and bitter impotence baked into Lovecraft stories alongside the occasionally goofy-ness and hard-won success, you are definitely gonna have a bad time.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Zylo and I played Undaunted: Normandy yesterday and it's fantastic. A quick WW2 game where my opponent was, for about half the game, going on about how there was no way he could win from where he started while I was thinking I was screwed the whole time. As the game continued (he won), he saw how I wasn't able to fire back at him because I had to use my cards to get to new areas so I could get victory points to win. He started with 3, I started with 1, and the others were all near me. He tore up both of my rifelman squads (each card has slightly different artwork and individual names, so I got to "cry/mourn" for poor CJ, who'd just gotten to the front lines when he was mowed down) and the last card of mine he destroyed in that way was the one that could have won me the game that turn. He grabbed the last control point he needed and we both laughed a lot while playing. Incredibly good game.

Also got Codex to the physical table, which is an interesting game that replicated RTS games. I think the core set might have some balance issues with what they chose to put in or it may just be a matter of the Green player needing to be more aggressive.

In Exceed, we ended up facing off with M. Bison and Enchantress (Shovel Knight) in a 2d Fighting Card Game and had some fantastic matches.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:50 am

Mikel wrote:Zylo and I played Undaunted: Normandy yesterday and it's fantastic. A quick WW2 game where my opponent was, for about half the game, going on about how there was no way he could win from where he started while I was thinking I was screwed the whole time. As the game continued (he won), he saw how I wasn't able to fire back at him because I had to use my cards to get to new areas so I could get victory points to win. He started with 3, I started with 1, and the others were all near me. He tore up both of my rifelman squads (each card has slightly different artwork and individual names, so I got to "cry/mourn" for poor CJ, who'd just gotten to the front lines when he was mowed down) and the last card of mine he destroyed in that way was the one that could have won me the game that turn. He grabbed the last control point he needed and we both laughed a lot while playing. Incredibly good game.

Also got Codex to the physical table, which is an interesting game that replicated RTS games. I think the core set might have some balance issues with what they chose to put in or it may just be a matter of the Green player needing to be more aggressive.

In Exceed, we ended up facing off with M. Bison and Enchantress (Shovel Knight) in a 2d Fighting Card Game and had some fantastic matches.

Undaunted: Normandy is one of the most interesting, creative, and exciting strategy games I've played in years.

Mikel

Postby Mikel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Undaunted: Normandy is one of the most interesting, creative, and exciting strategy games I've played in years.

What's shocking about it is how simple it is and how damn cool its mechanics are.

I really want to play a lot more of it.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:03 pm

Mikel wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

What's shocking about it is how simple it is and how damn cool its mechanics are.

I really want to play a lot more of it.

Agreed. There's an expansion coming out later this year that adds vehicles and I'm very excited to see how they work.

Too Tall
I am the story stick

Postby Too Tall » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 am

Not sure if this honestly counts but I have been working to create a Warhammer Kill Team scene in Birmingham AL. It's finally a scale of Warhammer I can afford and work games into my schedule.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:59 am

Last night being Shrove Tuesday, we played Inkignito, which is set during Carnival time in Renaissance Venice. There's a map of Venice overlaid with a network of paths by foot and by gondola. Each player has four pawns, each a different shape. There is also an Inquisitor, whom players can move to block other players. You have 3 cards: identity, physique, and mission. You have a partner, but you don't know whom! You shake the device with different coloured markers in it and three are revealed, which tell you your movement options or requirements. You want to get close enough to the others to ask them a question about their cards to find who your partner is, and what your mission is (there's a chart and a whole wack of other cards) and then you can accomplish your goal.
It was fun, and I'm very pleased with myself for not only understanding the rules first time through, but in French! The others at the table, including the children, are all primary Francophones, and Jacques' copy of the game is the French edition.
I give it a big Reccommend.

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”