What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
John
Host

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby John » Wed May 22, 2019 2:10 pm

I am introducing the lady to more games. She's always been a board gamer and has had a family that loves trivia and party type games but has never really gone beyond that.

We got The Fox and the Forest and Duelosaur Island on Brodeur's recommendation and they're both quite good, although I think Fox is the better of them (it is undoubtedly the simpler so a direct comparison might be awkward...apples and oranges).

We also played Twilight Struggle and she took me to Turn 9 without having ever seen the game before which is incredibly impressive. She immediately went on a screaming charge into the VP track with absolutely no regard for board position, Sankt/Chinese style, which is a refreshing change from the typical beginner tendency to waste tons of ops trying to hold onto dominations they shouldn't (or break an opponent's domination at a prohibitively expensive or ill-timed scoring moment).

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Thu May 23, 2019 7:48 am

John wrote:
We also played Twilight Struggle and she took me to Turn 9 without having ever seen the game before which is incredibly impressive. She immediately went on a screaming charge into the VP track with absolutely no regard for board position, Sankt/Chinese style, which is a refreshing change from the typical beginner tendency to waste tons of ops trying to hold onto dominations they shouldn't (or break an opponent's domination at a prohibitively expensive or ill-timed scoring moment).

nice. i dont think i could get my wife to play twilight struggle. check out 7 wonders duel if you want a shorter 2 player game.
-Casey

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am

I own TS physically and digitally, and have played it a couple of times, but It just doesn't do it for me. I got it because it was #1 on BGG for years, but yeah, something about it just doesn't turn my crank.

If you want suggestions for games for non-hobby gamers- Just One comes to mind, and Anomia is another... One Night Werewolf is a good bridging game... Love Letter also. Machi Koro is like Catan distilled into an engine builder.

Dominion is simple to learn but deep enough to be interesting...

So many.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:41 am

We tried out Japanese: The Game last night. (created by Bernhard Hamaker, www.JapaneseTheGame.com)

It was fun, and quite easy to pick up. The cards are standard size, which makes reading them across the table a problem. I'd pay extra for a large-card version. The rules are well-laid-out and there are enough reference cards. Scoring is easy; the points for each card are printed at the top right corner. It took us less than an hour to open the box and play a first game. We did find that the advanced rules actually were easier to play with because they gave you more options. This will be a game we go back to often.

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Got a few more games of Exceed in. Quick paced card game that emulates 2d fighting games. Faster to teach and learn than Battlecon, of which it's an altered version.

Started off as Zangief, got smashed by C. Viper. Then Syrus (from Level 99's games) and beat Sagat. Then we played the champions of each fight and I won, Syrus vs. C. Viper.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:19 pm

I played Azul Summer Pavilion over lunch at work today and picked it up on the way home.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 am

I got to play Castles of Burgundy and Viticulture over the weekend at our Game Day. I have yet to win either game, but they're both rewarding enough in the game play that it doesn't matter.

I've also been dabbling in Through the Ages on my Kindle. I suck at it so bad, but it's a very cool Civ style game.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Wayne wrote:I played Azul Summer Pavilion over lunch at work today and picked it up on the way home.

Might be one of the most fun abstract games I've ever played.
Have you found the yellow sign?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:52 pm

More brass Birmingham. This is rapidly becoming one of my all time favorite management games if not most favorite.

Morgan_Lockbreaker
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Morgan_Lockbreaker » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:04 pm

tombombodil wrote:More brass Birmingham. This is rapidly becoming one of my all time favorite management games if not most favorite.

Brass is good, but we had at least one different rule wrong in our first 3 or 4 plays.
https://twitter.com/MarshWgamer
BGG profile
BGA profile

Your Vorpal Sword uses Behead!... It's super effective!

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”