What boardgames are you playing?

For modeling, miniature games, trading card games, and the like.
Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Re: What boardgames are you playing?

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:51 am

Played some excellent games of Santorini last night.

Found out about a week ago that it’s VERY tense when playing with 3 players. I thought it would be a disaster but, holy shit, does it work.

As far as a simple game that takes very little time to teach, it might be my favorite. There’s enough meat to the game where it doesn’t feel as light as the rules might make it seem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48 am

Mikel wrote:Played some excellent games of Santorini last night.

Found out about a week ago that it’s VERY tense when playing with 3 players. I thought it would be a disaster but, holy shit, does it work.

As far as a simple game that takes very little time to teach, it might be my favorite. There’s enough meat to the game where it doesn’t feel as light as the rules might make it seem.

i need to try a 3 player game of it. i think i've only played with 2. did you use the gods or the basic rules without them?
-Casey

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:49 am

We used the gods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:30 pm

if you go to asmodee website and login

https://account.asmodee.net/en/profile/betatests

you can access the closed beta for the Scythe digital game. i played a couple yesterday and is a good way to try out and learn the board game
-Casey

GinDragon
I am the story stick

Postby GinDragon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:19 pm

Mikel wrote:Played some excellent games of Santorini last night.

I know the designer & publisher for this one! They're local to me.

Check out Roxley's other games as well! They're all well designed and well made, in different ways.

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 pm

3 day board game con! Day 1:

Played:

King of Tokyo
Hive
Zombie Dice

all of those being games I own

Pairs - Fun little... set matching? The opposite of set matching? Set avoiding? game. The goal is to not gain enough points that you're 'out', getting a double gets you points, or you can 'fold' before you get a double and get the points of your lowest card. So it's kind of like Chicken, you're staying in waiting for someone else to bust or for you to draw a really low value card so you can fold. It was pretty fun.

We also met a designer there and played two of his games:

Best Pitch - Fun little cards against humanity / apples to apples like game, except I feel like it's... maybe not better than those, but less 'pick the shock value card' and more 'actually think of which of your cards have some synergy'. So I liked it.

Tower Beast Slayers - It's just a dungeon crawl, but it was fun. There are four heroes - Knight, Mage, Archer, Cleric - each with different life and magic totals and rolling a different dice for damage and a different special attack. It was fun, we ended up picking up a copy from him. (The visual design on his website definitely needs work though)

In addition, we didn't play them (today) but we also bought:

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - a Co-Op about being firefighters and rescuing people from a burning building. Will most likely play this tomorrow and give a report.

The Gate of R'lyeh - Well, we didn't actually buy this at the con, we backed it's kickstarter after the designer gave us it's pitch. To be honest I was more interested in one of his other games - Affliction Salem 1692 but my wife was more interested in the Cthulhu one and I had already spent a bunch of money at that point...

Will certainly report back with more tomorrow. I'm signed up to play Crokinole in the morning.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:51 pm

My copy of Terra Mystica arrived yesterday! I spent last night unpacking it and reading through the rules and this morning i ran through a mock game alone. It really is one of the best designed board games I've ever played, I've never played a game this complex that does such an absurd amount of work to ease the burden of that complexity with some truly peerless visual design, and layout.

Absolutely every image is well thought out and every part of the game indicates visually what it does in several ways, both in how it's placed, what the picture actually is, and what you do with it. The game is a masterwork in how to design a game that explains itself, and provides constant easy reminders about how it all works.

I cannot wait for next weekend so my group and I can give it a go.
Have you found the yellow sign?

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:38 pm

MEPAcon day 2/International Tabletop day:

Crokinole - LOVED this. I feel like it's probably one of the best games for introducing non-gamers to board games 'cuz you look at it being played and in two seconds you're like 'I need a turn'. If you don't know, it's basically like a tabletop version of shuffleboard. You have to have either 2 or 4 players, it's a round board, and you flick discs. At the end of a round you score based on where your discs have ended up. The kicker though is that if an opponents disc is on the board you HAVE to hit it, if you don't you remove the disc you just flicked... and any of your color discs that that disc hit as well. It's played either 1v1 or more commonly 2v2. I had a lot of fun, I even occasionally didn't completely screw my partner over. :D I just wish boards weren't so expensive - it's understandable why the are cuz they're like table sized and made out of hard wood and probably waxed or polished? IDK much about woodworking. But if these we like $50 I would have bought it in a heart-beat but they're more like $150/200...

Visitor in Blackwood Grove - So this is a neat little deduction game. Thematically it's basically E.T.. One player is an alien who has a force field around their ship. This force field only allows objects to pass through that pass a certain criteria, chosen from a block of cards before hand. There is then a deck with pictures of random things, and the idea is the other players will throw things at the force field and the alien will tell them (and only them) what makes it through. If you're feeling confident you've figured out the criteria you can attempt to prove, you top deck for cards, the alien sets up the correct answer for those cards behind a screen, and then you say which of the cards would make it through. The alien reveals and if you're right you win! if you're wrong, play continues. On top of all that one player is the kid, who plays their cards openly instead of in secret, and slowly gains 'trust' with the alien unlocking additional powers. It was a very fun game to me, but I'm a sucker for a good deduction game. My cousin ended up buying this one after I told her about it.

Longhorn - very quick little two player filler game. You're outlaws in the wild west stealing cattle - the kicker being that at the end of the game cattle of each color (there's 4 colors) is worth 100$ times the number of cattle of that color still on the board. So if you aggressively steal all the black cows... you'll end up with nothing because 100 X 0 = 0. Not sure I'd spend money on it but it was neat.

Pairs - again. Talked about this one yesterday.

Champions of Midgard - You might know this one 'cuz they played it on Tabletop a while back, but it's worker placement based on Norse mythology. You place workers to get resources and dice which count as warriors which you use to fight monsters to gain victory points. No specific concepts that I've never seen before or anything, but it's fun and the theme is pretty strong imo. There is also a mechanic where when you fight the troll you assign 'blame' to another player for not fighting the troll - I had like 110 at the end while another player had 105, but because I was in the lead most of the game people were shifting blame to me a lot so I ended up losing 10 points at the end so the other player won. Overall, enjoyable game, I think there are probably worker placements I like more.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue - Co-op game where you're firefighters saving people from a burning building. We just played the 'simple' version today so we didn't have special powers or anything... we ended up losing because the building collapsed on us. But we saved the cat and the dog, so it's a moral victory because people are clearly expendable. I feel like I want to play a longer game with the powers to get a better sense of it.

Bought but did not play yet:

AFFLICTION: Salem 1692 - Worker placement in, you guessed it, Salem in 1692. It's a more historical take on the witch trials, there are no actual witches, but you accuse citizens of being witches and get them thrown in jail. I don't have too much to say 'cuz I have not played it yet... but I did attempt to work through the rules and the rule-book could certainly be better. Like, it tells you to shuffle back in two specific citizens after you have already dealt out a several citizen cards, but it never mentioned that you needed to remove them in the first place... I did also buy nice quality player mats 'cuz the creator was there selling them, and got his promo-pack he only gives out at cons with a new small deck of cards. Will probably give this a try Monday when the con is over.

Tomorrow we're signed up for:

Artemis Bridge Simulator - ...which I realize is not a board game. It's a computer game where everyone is basically a different role from the enterprise, I THINK only the captain has all the info so he has to give orders to other players and they report back so you can organize what's going on? IDK, guess I'll find out more tomorrow. I hope I can get engineering as my job.

Dead of Winter - Semi-Co-op zombie survival game. It's not hidden role (I think) but everyone has a secret agenda and most choices are made without other people being able to see all the info so a lot of paranoia going around about who's taking extra food they're saving for themselves and stuff like that. I've been eyeing this every time I go to the bookstore for like, a couple years now, so I'm glad I finally get to actually try it without dropping $70.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Dead of Winter - Ended up being the only board game we actually played today. We ended up not having a betrayer, but lost anyway at the end of turn 2 because lack of food took our last morale. It was fun, but 'eh, I don't think I like hidden role semi-coops very much. Hidden role can be fun when it's the point of the game, like Secret Hitler, but co-ops can be hard enough and adding the secret role is just not my thing.

All in all, the con was super fun, tomorrow I'll probably play a few games we picked up without playing so I may have another report then.

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Postby Sith_Mafia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:56 am

started playing the games from my big order

Azul - very fun and quick abstract tile placing game. the components are top notch and the game is easy to learn. theres a bit more strategy with more than 2 players as you can try to block others from scoring. my kids enjoyed it and i can see why this is currently the number 1 family game on bgg.

Fabled Fruit - worker placement card game from the designer of Power Grid. This is a great gateway game into euro hobby games. the game starts off easy and slowly gets more complicated. its a bit like a legacy game where the next time you play with the same group, you start where you left off. You aren't actually changing any of the components though, so you can start over with a new group at anytime. i've only played twice but i can see it becoming more interesting after every play.

Sagrada - colored dice drafting to create your unique stained glass window. this is like a harder version of azul. You can't place a die next to a same color or number die. there are also hidden and public objectives you are trying to fulfill on your own card to score the most points. I only played solo so far, but i'm thinking it might be a little hard for the kids.
-Casey

Return to “Other Tabletop Games”